Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

P3D acceleration randomly slow

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Since a week or so ago, once in a while when I punch it, the car doesn't respond like it should. It's like it's on chill mode, or only one motor is engaged. Battery has been between 60-80% during these incidents and it happens once and goes away for a while. Haven't been able to recreate it on demand.. just random.

Anyone else having these issues? Only noticed since last update (32.2.2)

What speeds are you at. The P is best at sub 60. Above 60, the torque starts to drop and the “P” difference is less noticeable. If you are below 60, or especially below 20, there might be something wrong.

. Haven't been able to recreate it on demand.. just random.

Sounds like on launches then, for the 0-20? Or are you already moving?

Were there other cars, or motorcycles around? Do you have Obstacle Aware Acceleration on? If there is a motorcycle splitting lanes next to me at a stop it can pull the acceleration in a way that I notice. Does not have to be in front. Probably relies on ultrasonics proximity (no idea).

Since a week or so ago, once in a while when I punch it, the car doesn't respond like it should. It's like it's on chill mode, or only one motor is engaged. Battery has been between 60-80% during these incidents and it happens once and goes away for a while. Haven't been able to recreate it on demand.. just random.

Are you on V10? Thought I read a thread/post somewhere and they were complaining about ‘slower’ launching performance after V10. He was at 85% SOC.
I have V10 but haven’t tested it yet.

Ski

I haven't had any inconsistencies. Check your tire pressures using a manual gauge and remember to add some air to each tire now that cooler weather is here.

Likely your obstacles aware acceleration is turned on. I recommend turning it off
The first time I experienced obstacle aware acceleration I thought something was wrong with the car as well. We were doing a Tesla Club Christmas toy drive and were trying to keep all our cars together. So I was following very close to the car in front of me and trying to stay with them. I don't normally drive that close so I had not felt it before.

You're getting used to it. This is what leads people to spending thousands on modifications... to get that feeling back again... only for it to feel slow again shortly after. It's a dark path.

Take someone for a ride and see their reaction.

I'm honestly feeling my P3D- a little sluggish as of late. Only have had it for a week. Not sure if I am getting used to it or if it is a software issue.
You're getting used to it. This is what leads people to spending thousands on modifications... to get that feeling back again... only for it to feel slow again shortly after. It's a dark path.

Take someone for a ride and see their reaction.
Good advice.

S P85 felt quick initially, then didn't.
Same for S P85D.
Same for S P85D.
Same for S P100D.

He's right about it getting expensive to outpace your acclimation. On that note, Roadster is set to ruin people trying to buy anything but a Tesla for acceleration reasons.

I do wish we could do more to modify our cars. (no such thing as fast enough) Besides handling and wheels, there's not much more we can do. I am not going to start ripping out stuff for weight reduction either. This is why I eventually will buy something to tinker with, probably pre-1980.

I did take a co-worker out 2 different times and even he said for some reason the car felt faster the first time we went out. This is why I might get the dragy meter.

I do wish we could do more to modify our cars. (no such thing as fast enough) Besides handling and wheels, there's not much more we can do. I am not going to start ripping out stuff for weight reduction either. This is why I eventually will buy something to tinker with, probably pre-1980.

I did take a co-worker out 2 different times and even he said for some reason the car felt faster the first time we went out. This is why I might get the dragy meter.
find out how to add a 2nd gear so 70-160 is as fast as 0-70 lol