Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

P3D+ Acceleration

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

kbecks13

Dec 27, 2017
SoCal
So I just noticed that my car's acceleration seems MUCH more pronounced when i go from 3-5MPH to 60MPH compared to going from 0-60. Does anyone elses P3D do this?

It honestly feels sluggish getting started from 0 and i'm not really sure why...

PS - The road is was on wasn't wet/dirty, so i dont think it was traction limited but that's my best guess at the moment.

Last edited:
So I just noticed that my car's acceleration seems MUCH more pronounced when i go from 3-5MPH to 60MPH compared to going from 0-60. Does anyone elses P3D do this?

It honestly feels sluggish getting started from 0 and i'm not really sure why...

Mine does the same thing at least in comparison to how my 70D felt. My 70D felt strong right off the line.

I'll probably take it to the track (or some empty place somewhere) to verify that it really does 0-60 in 3.5sec.

You are anticipating the gforce. Sometimes when you are the one driving, and you stomp down hard to try to launch, your body and mind already knew what was going to happen. Try having someone else launch the car with you as a passenger, you'll feel it more because you are not the one stomping on the accelerator pedal.

I have the same feeling with my X100D. It's the traction control kicking in and making sure you have enough grip. It artificially ramps up power. At 3-5 mph, you already have much more available grip so it is indeed quicker.

Reactions: P85_DA
I have the same feeling with my X100D. It's the traction control kicking in and making sure you have enough grip. It artificially ramps up power. At 3-5 mph, you already have much more available grip so it is indeed quicker.
Grip is independent of speed. You can easily see this by braking times. It takes almost exactly the same amount of time to stop from 30-0 as it does from 60-30.
You can also tell the P3D is not traction limited by looking at braking times. It can stop from 60mph quite a bit faster than it can accelerate to 60mph.

Grip is independent of speed. You can easily see this by braking times. It takes almost exactly the same amount of time to stop from 30-0 as it does from 60-30.
You can also tell the P3D is not traction limited by looking at braking times. It can stop from 60mph quite a bit faster than it can accelerate to 60mph.

Well, one exception which is sitting still vs moving. But also I suspect the physics of the differential contributes to a difference in grip when moving versus not.

Well, one exception which is sitting still vs moving. But also I suspect the physics of the differential contributes to a difference in grip when moving versus not.
Are you thinking of static vs. dynamic friction? Static friction is greater than dynamic friction which is why antilock brakes stop a car faster than skidding. Tires that are rolling experience static friction.

Are you thinking of static vs. dynamic friction? Static friction is greater than dynamic friction which is why antilock brakes stop a car faster than skidding. Tires that are rolling experience static friction.

Sort of. Rolling resistance is based on static friction, and yes, static friction is (usually) greater than dynamic friction. ABS does a little more than that but that’s another topic.

From what I understand, there are a few factors at play with what the OP is describing. One factor is a shift in effective weight distribution once the car begins accelerating (which alters the normal forces and generally increases them on the rear wheels). Another is that the force resulting from a given engine power is inversely proportional to speed. At 0 velocity, the wheel has zero power and all the engine power acts on it as torque. Once you’re moving (and as speed increases), more of the power delivered by the engine is translated to wheel power instead of force on the wheel.

I don't see how people can think that the P3D+ is traction limited when the P100D runs the same tires and accelerates way faster. Also if you look at the acceleration plots of the P100D it accelerates fastest (highest G force) at lower speeds.
Weight transfer to the rear increases traction on the rear wheels and reduces it on the front so in an AWD car it seems like that would be pretty much a wash.