Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

P3D+ Acceleration

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If you think about it, the P3 might feel slow off the line because it's the smoothest power band ever. According to some Dragy data out there, It takes .5s to go 0-10, 1s to go 0-20, 1.5s to go 0-30, 2.1s to go 0-40, 2.7s to go 0-50, 3.5s to go 0-60. 30-50 time is 1.3s. If those numbers are accurate, then I think it's just the way we're perceiving the power.
I have been driving my P3D+ only less than a week and I am rapidly adapting to its acceleration. It is very fast, very capable of leaving most of the car behind but still seems so smooth and controllable. Maybe because of the smoothness of its acceleration as you have mentioned. It is especially useful during changing lanes safely.

My p3d+ was towed to the service center less than 24hr after taking delivery....so I’ve had more seat time in my p90d loaner. Can’t really comment on my p3d+ yet until I get it back. But the best way for me to describe the acceleration of the p90d on ludicrous mode is well.....almost violent.

A P85D insane is much more violent initial hit. I've driven both back to back and IMO it's much different from 0. From 10mph they feel similar. I have to wonder if it's that the 3 only has one induction motor and that make s big different from stop. I'm just non scientifically speculating. As mentioned above draggy should be able to tell the dif in Gs.

You need to STOMP the pedal as quickly as possible to the floor to get the best launch. Don’t just quickly push it. Slam it to the floor. It makes a difference.

That being said, I agree that the initial “jolt” of the P85D feels much stronger than that of the P3D.
Ok someone wanna buy my 3P that I don’t own yet :D jk- please Elon release a 3 L Mode !!

You need to STOMP the pedal as quickly as possible to the floor to get the best launch. Don’t just quickly push it. Slam it to the floor. It makes a difference.

That being said, I agree that the initial “jolt” of the P85D feels much stronger than that of the P3D.

Even when stomping the pedal vs. quickly pushing, there is an initial lag as the original post describes.

Reactions: Drizzle
Personally, I think P3D+ has a perfect amount of street useable instant acceleration for everyday use without being dangerous. Very useful instant torque on entering highways and passing other cars. I love driving it every day without being too obnoxious to others sharing the street. As far as compared to other performance ICE cars, it has much less lag, anything in the comparable or slightly higher price range.

Reactions: Jeff Hudson
Not compared to something like Porsche's Launch Control - that thing hits HARD and feels great. I really think Tesla is holding something back on the P3D for Ludicrous mode.
The difference is that you have to prep for a launch control. With P3D+, you just hit your accelerator. While you are prepping for launch control your already gone with Tesla. Launch control will be good for drag racing. Normal street use, P3D+ wins out.

Experienced it in my P3D+ as well. Ran across an article that said this is due to the rear motor being a ‘Permanent Magnet Switched Reluctance Motor’ unlike the Model S or X. Reluctance motors tend to "stutter" if pushed too hard off the line, but can handle full power once they gain a bit of RPM's. If this is what is causing the soft launch, it is unlikely that Tesla will introduce a software enhancement to add punch to the launch.
Tesla Model 3 Motor — Everything I've Been Able To Learn About It (Welcome To The Machine) | CleanTechnica