Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

P3D+ and speed-bumps or potholes?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Are there any known issues with the Performance Package (P3D+) going over speed-bumps or potholes? Just wondering about the large 20 inch wheels and lower suspension and if that has affected anyone in real life or if I'm concerned about nothing. I intend to order the P3D+ soon, but kind of wonder if I should wait until smart air suspension is available so I can raise the height as necessary (there are a bunch of speed bumps in my neighborhood and I travel on a mildly bad road near my house frequently).

Thanks

I would like to know too, also a bit off topic, but can you add the Performance Package after you get the car?
Tesla said that they are working on a retrofit option for other Model 3 Performance owners. But I would expect it to cost more than adding it during configuration of the vehicle.

To be clear, I was referring to the + package. Tesla is not upgrading cars from AWD to P3D or anything like that :)

Also, I haven't had issues with speed bumps. The car is also much smoother than I thought, even with the 20 inch wheels. Might even be smoother than my Early 2018 Model 3 with 18 inch aeros.

no issues!

I came from a car that scraped everywhere,
P3D+ has been a dream not having to brake
to achieve right speed for speed bump and
being able to weight transfer via regen to
set up a smooth roll without scapes over bumps!

Reactions: Carl_Drogo
Agree with the others here. You are worried over nothing. I have huge speed bumps in my neighborhood that my lowered Hellcat used to scrape on daily. I hated it. No problem with this car. I actually think it needs to be a bit lower honestly. I think it is “lowered” something like 10mm from the non-P+ version, which is nothing.

Reactions: Carl_Drogo
Be careful with potholes. On the second day of owning my P3D+ I drove through, what looked to me to be, a mild pothole and bent the rim and punctured the sidewall of the front right tire - I believe from it being pinched. The new tire was $350 and wheel $600 and took 3.5 weeks to come into the Service Center (with no other SCs in the area also having it in stock). In the interim, I had the wheel straightened for $100 and the tire repaired for $35 (though not guaranteed due to it being in the sidewall). The roadside assistance, with towing, was great and Service Center also responsive with a no-cost temporary. Though I only used it for a week while I got the aforementioned repairs done.

Irony: my pothole and others nearby were repaired the next week. Grrr.

I'm in Southern California.

• Helpful
Reactions: tvad
With the stock suspension, you should be able to clear any obstacles in your path.

Damaging your wheels in a pothole can be unavoidable at times. It just sucks! It can also be tough to get the municipality to cover your costs.

Check out this carnage that my friend suffered with his Accord he had just bought a week beforehand, he ruined 2 wheels and 2 tires:

28238831_10160072705610578_1269826341666446577_o.jpg

27973265_10160075747915578_3075986571384842263_n.jpg

With the stock suspension, you should be able to clear any obstacles in your path.

Damaging your wheels in a pothole can be unavoidable at times. It just sucks! It can also be tough to get the municipality to cover your costs.

Check out this carnage that my friend suffered with his Accord he had just bought a week beforehand, he ruined 2 wheels and 2 tires:

28238831_10160072705610578_1269826341666446577_o.jpg

27973265_10160075747915578_3075986571384842263_n.jpg
That's one large pothole! :eek:

P3D+. I hit a few very large and unexpected potholes last week. Bent 2 rims. I was going about 40mph on a back road and it went from smooth compacted gravel to a mess very quickly. I was exhausted and not paying close attention so it was avoidable, but I've never bent a rim before in any vehicle. Thin tires make it more likely. Fortunately I was already going in for a repair and they swapped the rims the same day.

P3D+. I hit a few very large and unexpected potholes last week. Bent 2 rims. I was going about 40mph on a back road and it went from smooth compacted gravel to a mess very quickly. I was exhausted and not paying close attention so it was avoidable, but I've never bent a rim before in any vehicle. Thin tires make it more likely. Fortunately I was already going in for a repair and they swapped the rims the same day.
Do you have pics? Wondering what 'bent' looks like.

Reactions: DDotJ
Be careful with potholes. On the second day of owning my P3D+ I drove through, what looked to me to be, a mild pothole and bent the rim and punctured the sidewall of the front right tire - I believe from it being pinched. The new tire was $350 and wheel $600 and took 3.5 weeks to come into the Service Center (with no other SCs in the area also having it in stock). In the interim, I had the wheel straightened for $100 and the tire repaired for $35 (though not guaranteed due to it being in the sidewall). The roadside assistance, with towing, was great and Service Center also responsive with a no-cost temporary. Though I only used it for a week while I got the aforementioned repairs done.

Irony: my pothole and others nearby were repaired the next week. Grrr.

I'm in Southern California.

FYI, Fremont SC is charging $900 for one wheel alone with no tires.

Reactions: Nocturnal
Just my luck, waiting for my bent rims to be replaced and 2 nights ago I slammed another pothole at 75 MPH. I was driving Northbound up the 5 fwy from San Diego at night in the carpool lane and the car violently shook as I hit it. Totally did not see it in the dark. I inspected the tire and there is now visible damage to the rim (scuffed from impact with the road) and a bubble on the sidewall. Went to Tesla today and they told me they don't have the rim or tire in stock.

I'm currently at a cafe next to my local tire shop filling out a form to make a claim against CalTrans for pothole damage on the freeway.

Thank goodness for TeslaCam (Thanks again Tesla, you're the best!), I am pulling evidence to see exactly when and where it happened to file the claim. And it looks like I just found it :)

0Rx6Knp.jpg

CIXO6DU.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: MXWing and dvssolid