TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

P3D / AWD get EPA Ratings! Is AWD worth it?

Discussion in 'Model 3: Ordering, Production, Delivery' started by Goatdan, Jul 17, 2018.

1. Goatdan

Goatdan Member

EPA rating officially came out today, so I expect deliveries to begin soon!

Tesla Model 3 Dual Motor and Performance versions get official EPA ratings

Having said that, the EPA rating for the P3D and AWD are lower than those for the RWD version of tht car. I expected this for the P3D, but expected AWD to be similar to RWD if not slightly better. Instead, it seems to be significantly lower - about 10% or so.

I know that EPA tests are not real world, but can anyone give any insight on what they think the AWD car will offer? I justified AWD in my head because it would be less likely to get stuck in the snow, possibly have stronger regen and would have equal or better real world mileage. If it's taking a range hit, I might rethink if the $4k difference is worth it...

Anyone else have a thought on that?

2. M109Rider

M109Rider Member

I need (much better in snow) AWD up here in Canada, so RWD it not a option for me personally.
    I was hoping for better range, but such is life.
    I just can’t wait to get the car. :)

• Like x 1
  3. Saghost

Saghost Well-Known Member

The range hit is largely on the city side - you know, where it doesn't really matter. The EPA should really make the single electric range they show be based on the highway test rather than the combined number, at least for long range EVs - you'll never run out in a normal day in stop and go driving.

Having said that, it is showing a small loss on the highway side, too. Whether that's worth it to you is something you'll have to decide.

A few more AWD things: It lets you pull a lot more power in/out of corners, it balances tire wear (RWD 3s will likely wear the rear tires a lot faster than the front, like RWD Ss did,) and while motor failures are very rare, it may allow the car to keep driving after having one.

• Like x 1
  4. ℬête Noire

ℬête Noire Active Member

True Story: Every time I hear that "selling point" pitched I feel like repeatedly jabbing a rusty nail into my eye to dull the pain. :rolleyes:

I know it's not you but the whole idea really tweaks my sense of "too corny and impractical to endure".

• Like x 3
    • Funny x 1
  5. Knightshade

Knightshade Active Member

Those 2- plus being quicker for a relatively low cost- are why I'm buying the AWD. The step up to the P is 11k for basically nothing extra but 1 more second 0-60, and having owned cars that ran into the 3.x range as well as 4.x (and slower ones too) about 99.9% of real life driving much below 5 is plenty good enough.

(now if you live your life a quarter mile at a time YMMV on that)

6. jsimon7777

jsimon7777 Member

PAwd for fun acceleration. Rwd for normal. Awd for snow.

7. blecchus_rex

blecchus_rex Member

YQMMV

• Funny x 4
    • Like x 2
  8. bradl

bradl Member

It makes me think of times that I had to add a bullet point to a slide or web page or something to fill out some space or balance a column or something. "Hmm, what are some words I can put here that seem at least vaguely related to the list and isn't literally false?"

• Love x 1
  9. commasign

commasign Tesla Superfan

Tesla's have 4 wheels. If one fails, you can keep driving on the other 3. Am I right?

• Funny x 1
  10. ℬête Noire

ℬête Noire Active Member

**Re-distribution of cargo and passenger seating positions (and maybe picking up a bolder from the side of the road for counter balance weight) to keep the failed wheel quadrant leveraged off the ground may apply.

• Like x 1
  11. Saghost

Saghost Well-Known Member

Some Citroens can do this, without redistributing, by messing with their hydro-pneumatic suspension.

For what it's worth, I'm pretty sure that Elon or Jerry started the whole failed motor discussion back when the dual motor S first arrived - and unless the gears or rotor fail mechanically, it is perfectly valid (though motor or even inverter failures aren't a common problem with EVs.)

12. CUBldr97

CUBldr97 Member

surprising really, but for model s the D model is longer range and more efficient than RWD....

13. PremiumPackage

Can someone explain how the MPGe ratings can be lower for AWD but the range is the same? If one ICE car has a lower MPG than another, but they have the same size gas tank, the range will be lower.

• Like x 1
  14. smythey

smythey Member

Tesla asked the EPA to reduce the rated range of the LR RWD to 310 miles. It was actually tested by the EPA to be above 330.

• Helpful x 1
  15. Cloxxki

Cloxxki Member

Also, from vids I've seen, one motor failing gets you onto a flatbed truck. Probably due to the way Tesla motors end up failing and how the supercomputer on board is programmed to deal with it.

• Like x 1
  16. Cloxxki

Cloxxki Member

While I warned AWD wannahaves for disappointing range, I do feel in this case it's largely to do with the wheels the D and P were tested with.

• Like x 2
  17. M109Rider

M109Rider Member

Hhmmm. I’ve seen Tesla’s being towed, but mostly for things other than the actual motor.
    Have there been that many failures of one motor and the other not kicking in ?

18. Knightshade

Knightshade Active Member

You mean the same ones that come on the RWD?

• Funny x 1
  19. ℬête Noire

ℬête Noire Active Member

It's hard to say, as the stuff I've seen has been system shutting down and then on the warranty repair list is a drive unit replace.

20. dargue

dargue New Member

What’s the ballpark cost of replacing a drive unit, if one were to fail outside of warranty coverage? I know we don’t need to worry about this for years, but I’m hoping to keep my AWD M3 for 10+ years like I have with my previous cars.

Minnesota future M3 owner here looking for great AWD snow performance, as we are replacing my wife’s Subaru Outback.