Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

P3D+ Badge and Spoiler - "A Few Months?"

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I swung by the Tesla Showroom today and asked the service department point blank when they expect to receive the Perf Upgrade parts (namely the Carbon Fiber Spoiler and Badge), and the guy simply said "a few months."

Is there any credence to this? I saw on another thread that some service centers are already receiving the parts.

Thanks!

I swung by the Tesla Showroom today and asked the service department point blank when they expect to receive the Perf Upgrade parts (namely the Carbon Fiber Spoiler and Badge), and the guy simply said "a few months."

Is there any credence to this? I saw on another thread that some service centers are already receiving the parts.

Thanks!
Can I purchase these for my non performance AWD model? An underline and spoiler is allot cheaper than 11k :)

Re the Dual Motor badge - seems some delivery centers have them, others do not... today in service, they did not have the badge nor did any other nearby centers. I suspect I'll be calling or checking in every week or so to see when it shows up - Luckily it's cosmetic and the car is quick w/o it ;)

Re the Dual Motor badge - seems some delivery centers have them, others do not... today in service, they did not have the badge nor did any other nearby centers. I suspect I'll be calling or checking in every week or so to see when it shows up - Luckily it's cosmetic and the car is quick w/o it ;)

Yeah I feel the same way - not dying to have it but at the same time can't wait for it to show up. I'll call around and see.

Reactions: Msjulie
My delivery date is this Friday, August 10, 2018. I made an appointment with a company that was going to tint the windows, apply a clear bra and then a ceramic coating. I told my contact at the car detailing company about the fact that the car will initially not have the spoiler or the "badge" ("Dual Motor" and the underline to indicate Performance model) applied to the car. His response was that I should not have the ceramic coating applied until AFTER these items are installed due to the fact that the adhesion between the spoiler/badge and the paint would be worse once the ceramic coating was applied and they might not stay attached very well.

So, if it's true that the spoiler may be given to me when I take delivery of the car, the fact that the "badge" is not available and may not be for quite some time leaves me with the inability to have the ceramic coating applied when then makes me want to not drive the car for fear that damage may occur before I get the clear bra installed.

Yeah, I know, first world problems, but I really find it difficult to fathom that Tesla is selling a product that doesn't come "fully constructed" when you take delivery. Furthermore, Tesla doesn't give you an answer as to when you can expect to remedy the situation.

If anyone out there has taken delivery of their Performance Model 3 and has also had Tesla install the spoiler and/or the badge, I'd love to hear about your experience. For instance, did they install the spoiler when you took delivery or did they advise you to make an appointment with a Tesla Service facility to have that done? Does anyone have the badge or did they only make enough for those destined to be Test Drive mules at showrooms? Does the spoiler come with some adhesive that is revealed by removing a piece of material on the underside and then anyone could simply put it in place and "press down on your trunk" to "install" it?

Is it easy to install the spoiler? Maybe the detailing company could do that for me since I'm sure to mess it up. Could I "remove" the ceramic coating where the badge is to be installed once I am actually given the badge?

I guess I'm looking for a strategy to get my car tinted, protected with a clear bra, and then getting the ceramic coating applied shortly after taking delivery but am concerned about the impact it might have regarding the installation of the spoiler and badge.

Thanks for reading this wall of text!

My delivery date is this Friday, August 10, 2018. I made an appointment with a company that was going to tint the windows, apply a clear bra and then a ceramic coating. I told my contact at the car detailing company about the fact that the car will initially not have the spoiler or the "badge" ("Dual Motor" and the underline to indicate Performance model) applied to the car. His response was that I should not have the ceramic coating applied until AFTER these items are installed due to the fact that the adhesion between the spoiler/badge and the paint would be worse once the ceramic coating was applied and they might not stay attached very well.

So, if it's true that the spoiler may be given to me when I take delivery of the car, the fact that the "badge" is not available and may not be for quite some time leaves me with the inability to have the ceramic coating applied when then makes me want to not drive the car for fear that damage may occur before I get the clear bra installed.

Yeah, I know, first world problems, but I really find it difficult to fathom that Tesla is selling a product that doesn't come "fully constructed" when you take delivery. Furthermore, Tesla doesn't give you an answer as to when you can expect to remedy the situation.

If anyone out there has taken delivery of their Performance Model 3 and has also had Tesla install the spoiler and/or the badge, I'd love to hear about your experience. For instance, did they install the spoiler when you took delivery or did they advise you to make an appointment with a Tesla Service facility to have that done? Does anyone have the badge or did they only make enough for those destined to be Test Drive mules at showrooms? Does the spoiler come with some adhesive that is revealed by removing a piece of material on the underside and then anyone could simply put it in place and "press down on your trunk" to "install" it?

Is it easy to install the spoiler? Maybe the detailing company could do that for me since I'm sure to mess it up. Could I "remove" the ceramic coating where the badge is to be installed once I am actually given the badge?

I guess I'm looking for a strategy to get my car tinted, protected with a clear bra, and then getting the ceramic coating applied shortly after taking delivery but am concerned about the impact it might have regarding the installation of the spoiler and badge.

At least have the PPF applied on the trunk lid if you aren't getting full PPF and then you won't have to worry. I'd just do full clear bra. Will pay off in the end.

i’m in the sane exact scenario, and i’m considering taking my chances. i’ve read ceramic is not as adhesive as naked paint for the double sided tape on the spoiler, but it still should be OK...worst case detailer can prep the lid (remove/etch yikes - the trunk lip)

now i am thinking of just having my detailer ceramic coat the entire car except the trunk, then return it when the spoiler/badge is installed and get that all coated too.

I don’t have any recommendations as far as your ceramic coating but I do agree that it is a little ridiculous that in their rush to deliver the P and D models they deliver them not “fully completed”. I think it just adds to their logistical nightmare because now they have to have all these cars come back and take time at the SC even if it only takes a few minutes. They are such small items to not have ready to go.

Reactions: P3D_Denver

Thanks!

Nothing says you've arrived more than DUAL MOTOR o_O

I drove my new Midnight Silver P3D straight to my Chevy dealer for PA-required inspection, and from there straight to a custom detailer for paint repair (yes, he said the paint had quite a few defects), full PPF + ceramic + tint. Everything being done this week; however, the detailer is not doing anything to the rear lid until the spoiler and badge arrive. It's not ideal, but he insisted that this is my only option if I want the rest of my car protected right away.

I heard October for the spoiler and badge. Don’t take this as fact, but it’s what I heard.

Remember that these pieces weren’t originally part of the P3D; they were added after the first batch of orders were taken. So it’s easy to imagine suppliers being told to speed things up and “a few months” is what we’re left with. Somewhat disappointing, sure, but IMO better than not getting them at all.

I don’t have any recommendations as far as your ceramic coating but I do agree that it is a little ridiculous that in their rush to deliver the P and D models they deliver them not “fully completed”. I think it just adds to their logistical nightmare because now they have to have all these cars come back and take time at the SC even if it only takes a few minutes. They are such small items to not have ready to go.

Short burn of the century doesn’t have time to keep up with rice addons that are going to be queued up and knocked out by mobile service installers.

Would I have preferred spoiler and badges be ready day 1?

Yes

Was I NOT going to take the car because they weren’t ready?

Hell no.

You got the car S owners would have paid double for just 2 years back.

While driving to work this morning I noticed a car carrier truck with about 6-7 Model 3 cars on it. As I passed it I took a close look at the rear end of a few and several of them had the "Dual Motor" badge on them! I haven't seen any reports of this change and wanted to alert everyone who, like me, is waiting for their badges (and spoilers for Performance models). It seems like new cars rolling off the assembly line are now getting their badges when appropriate (of the 3 cars I saw with "Dual Motor" none of them had the underline in red to indicate Performance so maybe those versions aren't available yet). Anyhow, I wrote an email to Tesla over the weekend asking for an update as to when I might expect these items and am still awaiting a reply.

• Informative
Reactions: rrollens