Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

P3D Does 11.77 sec at the Track

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
His detail of the Model 3 firmware below reveals that the battery is capable of about 480kW, which is something like 640hp. His later breakdown of the inverter shows that two of them should easily be able to handle that much power.

480Kw won't happen. The discharge rate is too high for battery health. Tesla has a warranty to worry about.

If we use the rough math from a P100D which has a battery with about 98Kwh usable capacity and can discharge around 580Kw completely maxed out then we get a discharge rate of 5.9C. I'm going to make an assumption that the 2170s can't hit that discharge rate, so let's plug in 5C * 76Kwh capacity, that would give us 380Kw. This also lines up with the previous quoted Max discharge from the BMS on the Model 3. That's around 500hp. If discharge rate went up to 5.5c we'd get to about 420Kw. I'm sure Tesla wants to observe the batteries in the wild in larger numbers before they make any changes that could increase warranty liability on the battery packs.

Source: Upgraded performance Metrics Summary
Hat tip @Krash

His detail of the Model 3 firmware below reveals that the battery is capable of about 480kW, which is something like 640hp. His later breakdown of the inverter shows that two of them should easily be able to handle that much power.

So what you’re saying is Elon is going to sucker me out of another $3-$5k for much faster performance, to which I will say “shut up and take my money!”

Pardon my ignorance, but how much time did Ludicrous mode knock of a "regular" PXXD's 1/4 mile? Do PXXDLs still have Insane mode in addition to Ludicrous?

Ludicrous
So what you’re saying is Elon is going to sucker me out of another $3-$5k for much faster performance, to which I will say “shut up and take my money!”

Maybe in 12-18 months Tesla will introduce a larger battery for the 3 with Ludicrous mode. I don't see Ludicrous being added even for a fee to existing P3D vehicles.

The 1.8X 60 foot times being put down by P3Ds right now kind of suggest that the car is launching on the soft side. General rule of thumb (at least on FWDs that I'm used to) is for every 0.1 you drop off your 60 foot time, you drop about 0.2 off the ET. Hopefully a launch mode can knock that 60 foot down to the 1.6X range :O

The 1.8X 60 foot times being put down by P3Ds right now kind of suggest that the car is launching on the soft side. General rule of thumb (at least on FWDs that I'm used to) is for every 0.1 you drop off your 60 foot time, you drop about 0.2 off the ET. Hopefully a launch mode can knock that 60 foot down to the 1.6X range :O

Yeah, the 60 foot times are weird. I'd expect at least 1.7 but it should be like 1.6 for those times.

Reactions: wallet.dat
It is launching on the soft side but the P3D trap speed is just as good or better as a P85D which traps around 114mph with a 1.6 0-60ft. To me this means the P3D has excellent acceleration above 30mph. I would guess the P3D would beat a P85D in 30+mph roll race.

Road and Track actually amended their article (see below...bolding is mine). Note that I'm not sure that I agree with the "industry-standard" comment, but it certainly seems the mags are caught up in the "we better publish better numbers like the other mags or our readership will revolt". I have a feeling that Car and Driver does NOT follow this industry standard (and I tend to view their numbers as gospel). I will say the rollout is, at least, consistent with what happens on drag strips across the world.

At the end of the day, just make sure you are comparing apples-to-apples. As an example, I was researching my old P85+ numbers vs. the Model 3 numbers last night and depending on the magazine the swings can appear much bigger or smaller than they really are - in short, try to compare from the same source. Oh, and as for my P85+, it looks like it sits exactly in between the Model 3 AWD and Performance in 0-60...oh wait, I used two different magazine sources...never mind!

From R&T
Tesla fans know what that means. Like the gnarliest versions of models S and X, this all-wheel-drive 3 launches from a standstill like a rifle shot. Our testing measured a 0-60 time of 3.3 seconds, 0-100 in 8.6, and a quarter-mile of 11.8 seconds at 113.7 mph. Keep the pedal nailed, and you'll hit a 155-mph top speed that's 15 mph higher than the base Model 3. The braking is prodigious, too, with 60-0 and 80-0 distances on par with a BMW M3 on carbon ceramics.

Ed. Note: Initially, we published a 0-60 time of 3.51 seconds, 0-100 in 8.84, and a quarter-mile of 12.07 seconds at 114 mph. After publication, it became clear that these numbers did not account for a one-foot rollout, an industry-standard adjustment we apply to all acceleration data we publish. The acceleration times we measured for the Tesla Model 3 Performance have been updated here to reflect this adjustment.

Just checked. Car and Driver uses a one-foot rollout for all of its tests. This appears to be the industry standard.
The Importance of 'Rollout'

Just checked. Car and Driver uses a one-foot rollout for all of its tests. This appears to be the industry standard.
The Importance of 'Rollout'

Well I'll be darned. Thanks Jaguar! Since Car and Driver tested the Model 3 much later than Motor Trend I do wonder if the RWD cars were slowed down a tad between the Motor Trend test and C&D test. C&D's tests are consistently slower than Motor Trend.

Motor Trend's numbers seem to be "better" for most cars it tests. I remember reading their test of a 1964 GTO (I know, I'm old!) where they basically destroyed the car to get a 0-60 in 4.6 seconds. With EVs, however, one would expect similar results -- it's not as if they can speed shift.

• Informative
Reactions: brianman