Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

P3D Does 11.77 sec at the Track

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Nice to see. Thanks. Road & Track is one of the few car magazines that does not abuse its cars when testing. No dropped clutches, speed shifts, etc, -- not that any of that applies in this case. I believe they also test with two people in the car. So their numbers are usually a touch slower than other magazines but also more realistic.

Road and Track actually amended their article (see below...bolding is mine). Note that I'm not sure that I agree with the "industry-standard" comment, but it certainly seems the mags are caught up in the "we better publish better numbers like the other mags or our readership will revolt". I have a feeling that Car and Driver does NOT follow this industry standard (and I tend to view their numbers as gospel). I will say the rollout is, at least, consistent with what happens on drag strips across the world.

At the end of the day, just make sure you are comparing apples-to-apples. As an example, I was researching my old P85+ numbers vs. the Model 3 numbers last night and depending on the magazine the swings can appear much bigger or smaller than they really are - in short, try to compare from the same source. Oh, and as for my P85+, it looks like it sits exactly in between the Model 3 AWD and Performance in 0-60...oh wait, I used two different magazine sources...never mind!

From R&T
Tesla fans know what that means. Like the gnarliest versions of models S and X, this all-wheel-drive 3 launches from a standstill like a rifle shot. Our testing measured a 0-60 time of 3.3 seconds, 0-100 in 8.6, and a quarter-mile of 11.8 seconds at 113.7 mph. Keep the pedal nailed, and you'll hit a 155-mph top speed that's 15 mph higher than the base Model 3. The braking is prodigious, too, with 60-0 and 80-0 distances on par with a BMW M3 on carbon ceramics.

Ed. Note: Initially, we published a 0-60 time of 3.51 seconds, 0-100 in 8.84, and a quarter-mile of 12.07 seconds at 114 mph. After publication, it became clear that these numbers did not account for a one-foot rollout, an industry-standard adjustment we apply to all acceleration data we publish. The acceleration times we measured for the Tesla Model 3 Performance have been updated here to reflect this adjustment.

• Informative
Reactions: Arpe
From R&T
Tesla fans know what that means. Like the gnarliest versions of models S and X, this all-wheel-drive 3 launches from a standstill like a rifle shot. Our testing measured a 0-60 time of 3.3 seconds, 0-100 in 8.6, and a quarter-mile of 11.8 seconds at 113.7 mph. Keep the pedal nailed, and you'll hit a 155-mph top speed that's 15 mph higher than the base Model 3. The braking is prodigious, too, with 60-0 and 80-0 distances on par with a BMW M3 on carbon ceramics.

Ed. Note: Initially, we published a 0-60 time of 3.51 seconds, 0-100 in 8.84, and a quarter-mile of 12.07 seconds at 114 mph. After publication, it became clear that these numbers did not account for a one-foot rollout, an industry-standard adjustment we apply to all acceleration data we publish. The acceleration times we measured for the Tesla Model 3 Performance have been updated here to reflect this adjustment.

It is absolutely uncanny how close the numbers are across the board! Doesn't matter 20" or Aeros... 3.2-3.3 0-60s (or ~3.5 w/o rollout) and 11.7-11.8 quarter -- with the top ranges at higher SOC ~90% or better. I'm ready to see some robust data for the LR-AWD instead of these recording of the speedo type videos :rolleyes:

I'm curious how much power Tesla will add OTA in the future. According to the firmware hacked by Ingineerix, the battery is capable of delivering over 600hp(480kW). His teardown of the drive unit showed that the inverters should easily be able to handle that.