Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

P3D+ does not feel as fast as expected

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Prior of taking delivery of my P3D+ I drove an AWD Dual Long range and was impressed with acceleration. I got motion sickness at first launches.

I was excited that my P3D+ will feel even faster based on internet reviews, however it does not feel faster to be honest.

I am starting to think something is wrong with the car, only drove 200 miles. I do not have a precise gps to measure acceleration times but is there other way to confirm that is doing the 3.2 s adcertised by Tesla?
Maybe you are just getting used to it.

Prior of taking delivery of my P3D+ I drove an AWD Dual Long range and was impressed with acceleration. I got motion sickness at first launches.

I was excited that my P3D+ will feel even faster based on internet reviews, however it does not feel faster to be honest.

I am starting to think something is wrong with the car, only drove 200 miles. I do not have a precise gps to measure acceleration times but is there other way to confirm that is doing the 3.2 s adcertised by Tesla?

It's fast but let's just remember. Majority of Tesla owners are not car enthusiasts and have never been in a 11 second car before. So it brings out allot of keyboard performance heroes.

Let's be fair the MP3 car is a quick car. I think you have been EV spoiled. Dont ride in ice vehicles. Its ruined it for me... Now ICE vehicles are more of a nostalgic feeling for me and no longer about the performance.

Its not in chill but maybe because most of the time I am accelerating from 40 mph therefore I cannot feel the difference.

If you were to floor the gas pedal at 40 in both the Performance and the AWD the cars will have extremely close speed/acceleration. Both of them very fast, whichever one hits the gas pedal first would win.
The Performance beats the AWD by about 1 sec 0 - 60 and it beats it 0 - 40 by about 1 sec
From 40+ they are very similar cars. From 0-40 is where the Performance advantage is.
Plus track mode and on the P+ the other extras.

Note that the 3.2s is with "1 foot rollout". You won't get 3.2 with Dragy for a true 0-60.

Not true.

F783E600-B6EF-46D7-8539-863B47DB11F2.png

If you were to floor the gas pedal at 40 in both the Performance and the AWD the cars will have extremely close speed/acceleration. Both of them very fast, whichever one hits the gas pedal first would win.
The Performance beats the AWD by about 1 sec 0 - 60 and it beats it 0 - 40 by about 1 sec
From 40+ they are very similar cars. From 0-40 is where the Performance advantage is.
Plus track mode and on the P+ the other extras.

Dang, your model 3 has a gas pedal? What will they think of next?

Acceleration is relative to what you are used to driving. I picked up a new P3 weekend before last and I’m very impressed by the car, in fact more impressed than I thought I would be if that seems possible. I also have a new Performance S and I drove it tonight for the first time since picking up the P3 and it certainly put the acceleration back in perspective.

Last edited:
  • Disagree
Reactions: qdeathstar
I made a video with iPhone at 60fps, then counted the number of frames from 0-100 kph (0-62 mph) then divided by 60fps and got acceleration time of 3.91s 0-62 mph.
Wet asphalt, 13C outside temperature, 70% SOC
That’s an interesting approach and in theory should be just as accurate. Most would simply reference the time frames from the vide editor. Subtract time @launch (0 mph) from time @60mph.

If indeed 3.9s, I would also be disappointed.

I would suggest re-testing with ideal conditions:

Dry weather
Minimum of 90% SOC
Obstacle Aware Acceleration turned OFF

Good luck!

• Informative
Reactions: vladmury
I made a video with iPhone at 60fps, then counted the number of frames from 0-100 kph (0-62 mph) then divided by 60fps and got acceleration time of 3.91s 0-62 mph.
Wet asphalt, 13C outside temperature, 70% SOC

That's very impressive for a wet surface, and only 70% charge isn't helping.

Higher charge keeps you pulling harder for longer (relative to speed).

Seems within spec to me. Beating ideal posted LR AWD times even in imperfect conditions.

The Performance model has an extra 100hp and 100lb ft of torque, which you can definitely feel in the 0-50mph range. Since there is no transmission to take advantage of gearing there is not much difference in acceleration at highway speeds.