Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

P3D "Estimated delivery by late September"

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not sure if you all saw this thread in the other forum, but it essentially says that the 3D vs P3D- is essentially just a software upgrade.

I ordered a Performance 3. The car at delivery was an AWD.

In addition to that, Telsa just announced this morning that they are almost exclusively producing AWD vehicles at 3Q end (very few RWD). So for those of us who ordered the P3D-, I'm hoping we are able to get our vehicles soon.

Regarding the P3D+, I'm still not 100% clear what it takes to upgrade a 3D (AWD) to a P3D+ (aside from the items listed in the PUP). From what I can tell, it's only a software upgrade and perhaps a suspension change? At any rate, if this is true (that the Performance and AWD are essentially just different in software), that's a smart move on Tesla's part. Would potentially make production way more efficient.

Not sure if you all saw this thread in the other forum, but it essentially says that the 3D vs P3D- is essentially just a software upgrade.

I ordered a Performance 3. The car at delivery was an AWD.

In addition to that, Telsa just announced this morning that they are almost exclusively producing AWD vehicles at 3Q end (very few RWD). So for those of us who ordered the P3D-, I'm hoping we are able to get our vehicles soon.

Regarding the P3D+, I'm still not 100% clear what it takes to upgrade a 3D (AWD) to a P3D+ (aside from the items listed in the PUP). From what I can tell, it's only a software upgrade and perhaps a suspension change? At any rate, if this is true (that the Performance and AWD are essentially just different in software), that's a smart move on Tesla's part. Would potentially make production way more efficient.
I don't think it's just software, but it's almost just software. I don't know that you will ever be able to upgrade without updating both motors and the inverter to ones that meet teslas spec. Although all parts are the same, and techinically if all 3 meet teslas performance requirements it would be possible with just software, I still don't think they will just give you the software. Perhaps they will provide some additional uncorking in the future though.

Best example I can think of is CPU's / Video Card Processors. CPU's that don't make the high performance cut are then sold as lower speed processors. That's not to say with some additional power that the lower speed processors can't go as fast but they will produce more heat and can have shorter lifespans when doing so.

But also like CPU's, some are manufactured just to fill the gap in speeds are likely never tested at the higher speeds (in this case performance spec) because they simply need to fill demand. These CPUs simply get multiplier locked or even software locked. However AMD / Intel isn't going to provide you the firmware or change in multiplier because you think yours will work, instead they will tell you to buy the higher speed CPU. Or if you paid for an unlocked multiplier, they will allow you to overclock it but doing so will void your warranty.

In the case of the linked thread, I think the OP had a performance model, but it just had the wrong software on it. Then again who knows!

Last edited:
Reactions: neroden
I think the CPU overclocking comparison is a good one.

Of course, that brings up different questions:

Does Tesla have motor performance data for each drive unit and it's associated VIN? If so, that would potentially allow them to "unlock" the vehicle if the motor performance was capable of achieving that higher performance without potentially damaging the motor.

Of course, that would mean that not all AWD would be "allowed" to be upgraded without voiding the warranty - if their motors didn't meet those higher standards.

Who knows...

I think the CPU overclocking comparison is a good one.

Of course, that brings up different questions:

Does Tesla have motor performance data for each drive unit and it's associated VIN? If so, that would potentially allow them to "unlock" the vehicle if the motor performance was capable of achieving that higher performance without potentially damaging the motor.

Of course, that would mean that not all AWD would be "allowed" to be upgraded without voiding the warranty - if their motors didn't meet those higher standards.

Who knows...
I think if they are producing AWD, they only test to AWD specs. If they are testing for performance and it does not meet performance spec, but it does meet AWD spec, it goes into AWD. Seems there would be some lottery for AWD motors (some would be performance capable but never tested for it), but since this isn't a DIY kinda test it won't really matter. If you want Performance order performance. But yes most AWD's are probably software limited.

@CallmeTony So I can just call the store and ask to speak to a sales person ... this will expedite my order?

Got the #faketest and the followup "sorry" text.

I read that Tesla was giving their associates access to the Model 3 inventory, so they didn't have to wait for logistics/delivery (who are swamped) to pair up cars. I talked to the person I did a test drive with and they said they'd check the inventory for me. They called me back and said they couldn't find that exact one anywhere that wasn't already asigned, I gave them an alternate config and they found one for me. I said I'd take it, they assigned me to that VIN and that day I got all my insurance and stuff in order (with the VIN given). Day after this got a call to schedule my delivery the following day. I don't know if they temporarily gave these people access to the inventory for the Q3 push, or if it's permanent (I'd think so). Regardless, worth a try if you haven't been matched up yet.

I read that Tesla was giving their associates access to the Model 3 inventory, so they didn't have to wait for logistics/delivery (who are swamped) to pair up cars. I talked to the person I did a test drive with and they said they'd check the inventory for me. They called me back and said they couldn't find that exact one anywhere that wasn't already asigned, I gave them an alternate config and they found one for me. I said I'd take it, they assigned me to that VIN and that day I got all my insurance and stuff in order (with the VIN given). Day after this got a call to schedule my delivery the following day. I don't know if they temporarily gave these people access to the inventory for the Q3 push, or if it's permanent (I'd think so). Regardless, worth a try if you haven't been matched up yet.
Same thing here, called and changed config after sales located a performance black with white pup which I initially didn’t want lol BUT at this point I’ll take it!! Vin assigned 15 minutes later coming from Fremont

Reactions: CallmeTony
It's now October 4 and my account is still showing late September delivery. That after two delivery delays and my P3D+ being delivered to someone else at the end of September. Tesla is totally mum about when my car may be delivered. Nothing from my DA, Las Vegas, my SC or anyone else. I requested 10/7 or 10/8 delivery. One might think that a common courtesy might be to keep me informed about whether this is possible. But common courtesy, I'm sorry to say, is no longer in Tesla's corporate vocablulary.

I had a Oct 3rd Delivery appointment and it said that on the website up to the night of Oct 2nd. I have been busy and just assumed it was a go. I had not heard of any changes or a vin or any communication from Tesla since they set up the appointment. I called yesterday morning cause the website had changed over night to "Late Sept Delivery". Nobody knows anything or why or where the car is or when. For a 70K car, this is the worst. I understand things change but the no communication no information part makes me want to cancel.

Reactions: neroden and Sg911
I had a Oct 3rd Delivery appointment and it said that on the website up to the night of Oct 2nd. I have been busy and just assumed it was a go. I had not heard of any changes or a vin or any communication from Tesla since they set up the appointment. I called yesterday morning cause the website had changed over night to "Late Sept Delivery". Nobody knows anything or why or where the car is or when. For a 70K car, this is the worst. I understand things change but the no communication no information part makes me want to cancel.
Hang in there... it’s coming. Just be spontaneously ready to pick up your game changer Modern day Model T:cool: at a moment’s notice...

• Funny
Reactions: stillwaiting
I started this thread as I was initially scheduled for delivery on 9/25 and my accounted showed "estimated delivery by late September".

I called yesterday for an update and was told I was assigned a VIN. Hooray! I never had a VIN with my previously scheduled delivery. I reached out to my delivery advisor this morning to confirm and she said, "Yep...you have a VIN. It must have been assigned after I left the office on Friday. Let's schedule your delivery".

So...my delivery is now scheduled for 10/20. I'm told that's just an estimated date. My delivery could vary by a day or two either way depending on when the truck delivers the car.

I'm hoping that now we're past the end of quarter madness and my VIN will stay assigned and I will take delivery in 12 days!

I started this thread as I was initially scheduled for delivery on 9/25 and my accounted showed "estimated delivery by late September".

I called yesterday for an update and was told I was assigned a VIN. Hooray! I never had a VIN with my previously scheduled delivery. I reached out to my delivery advisor this morning to confirm and she said, "Yep...you have a VIN. It must have been assigned after I left the office on Friday. Let's schedule your delivery".

So...my delivery is now scheduled for 10/20. I'm told that's just an estimated date. My delivery could vary by a day or two either way depending on when the truck delivers the car.

I'm hoping that now we're past the end of quarter madness and my VIN will stay assigned and I will take delivery in 12 days!

BTW, VIN is 103xxx

It's now October 4 and my account is still showing late September delivery. That after two delivery delays and my P3D+ being delivered to someone else at the end of September. Tesla is totally mum about when my car may be delivered. Nothing from my DA, Las Vegas, my SC or anyone else. I requested 10/7 or 10/8 delivery. One might think that a common courtesy might be to keep me informed about whether this is possible. But common courtesy, I'm sorry to say, is no longer in Tesla's corporate vocablulary.
Tried the "Delivery schedulers" number, which is posted elsewhere in the forum? For many people they were the only ones who could do anything.

The left hand doesn't talk to the right hand at Tesla, which is a prety serious problem.