Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

P3D finished top 5 at autocross

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Gavyne

Jul 27, 2018
SoCal
Jad Duncan finished top 5 at autocross with the Porsche club. Check out his posts here:

Tesla

Tesla

Standings: Standings for Event: 2018-09-16 @Qualcomm - West Lot

Video of his run:

He didn't quality for top 5 because Model 3 isn't eligible, but comparing the time he did finish top 5.

Quoting his short version:

OK, just got home and wanted to quickly share my day, will do a full write-up soon.

The P3 was extremely impressive, I am quite sure a few were ordered today.

Overall against a half dozen GT3's, a couple of GT4's and loads of Boxsters, Caymans and 911s, I got in the top 5 times of day!!!!

So here is a picture I took from the pits of my car:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/uAKx31UQwog9Kq67A

and for comparison, this is the car that just beat me by a couple tenths:(I beat the GT3 in the background of this picture)

https://photos.app.goo.gl/cq6qQcEZobi35jxdA

More details soon, but let me just say WOW - Thank you Elon!

That's impressively fast. Especially for stock tires.

I think the traction control is really what sets it apart, as he notes. ICE cars just can't regulate the power as fast as electric.

I'm glad to hear he had no battery/motor heat issues.

Very impressive. He beat a Miata by 0.5s :p Just kidding, the guy who drives that Miata (Stock power!) is crazy good. It does seem like the P3D+ will destroy the D-street class. On the other hand SCCA sets up their courses to be lower speed than the Porsche and BMW clubs.

Last edited:
Very impressive. He beat a Miata by 0.5s :p Just kidding, the guy who drives that Miata (Stock power!) is crazy good. It does seem like the P3D+ will destroy the D-street class. On the other hand SCCA sets up their courses to be lower speed than the Porsche and BMW clubs.
I thought that only the 3D and 3 RWD were in D-Street, with the P3D in A?? Or did I read it wrong...

If Mountain Pass Performance releases their stability control defeat device I bet they'll have to move the AWD to BS as well. The extra power of the P3D probably doesn't help all that much at autox.
There's a lot of difference in the quickness. Assuming you have the tire grip to support it, and that should be possible on anything approaching a straight line, the P has an extra 1/3 acceleration over the D at every point that you are accelerating on an AX track. On courses that rely more on acceleration, that don't allow as much carry of speed, that's got to matter, no?

Still, I'm hoping the S/C defeat will come in at a price I'm willing to take a flyer on it and I get a good enough feel for the vehicle by the time it ships that I'll be able to use it. I think I read it is coming with multiple levels now, which I think is pretty exciting to allow me to learn it step by step and ease my way out of nanny-ville.

But even after that, will it be doing things to compensate for the open differential like Track Mode does with reportedly aggressive targeted brake applications to simulate a limited-slip differential?

Last edited:
But even after that, will it be doing things to compensate for the open differential like Track Mode does with reportedly aggressive targeted brake applications to simulate a limited-slip differential?

You don't need track mode to take advantage of brake applications to simulate a limited slip differential. Even the Long Range Model 3 does that. As does the AWD and P3D without track mode.

Reactions: SammichLover
You don't need track mode to take advantage of brake applications to simulate a limited slip differential. Even the Long Range Model 3 does that. As does the AWD and P3D without track mode.
I'm just wondering what'll happen with MPP's box turned on, what it'll leave in place. Guess I'll wait until fall, or so, when they're ready to ship retail units and release full details to understand what's going on with it.