Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

P3D front pads uneven wear after track

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Trying to diagnose and fix spongy brake pedal after a track day and found this. This isn't normal, is it? What would cause this?

This is the front passenger side.

IMG_20190519_092746.jpg

Outer pad on left, inner on right in photo below.
IMG_20190519_094058.jpg

Reactions: TrumpetTitan
It is normal to have slightly more wear on the leading edge, where rotor enters the caliper. To counter this, some clipers have different sized pistons, with smaller piston in the leading side to apply lower pressure, while having larger piston in the back to apply more pressure.

That makes sense. Is this more than "slightly" though? Or maybe just exacerbated by soft stock pads?

I swapped inside to outside and vice versa on both sides and put some caliper grease on the slide pins and return springs. Might not need it but they were dry and I figure it couldn't hurt.

Also bled the brakes again, got a couple small bubbles out on both front sides. Rears seemed fine. Brakes are still spongy, maybe marginally better but it could be in my head too. Only thing that's different now from before the track outing is the pad wear.

I swapped inside to outside and vice versa on both sides and put some caliper grease on the slide pins and return springs. Might not need it but they were dry and I figure it couldn't hurt.

Also bled the brakes again, got a couple small bubbles out on both front sides. Rears seemed fine. Brakes are still spongy, maybe marginally better but it could be in my head too. Only thing that's different now from before the track outing is the pad wear.

I was wondering whether air in the caliper might reduce the force exerted by the upper piston (compared to the lower piston) but it does seem clutching at straws. I think you need harder pads. I remember years ago fitting Mintex race pads and being told “they won’t work on the street, won’t work until warmed up” but in my actual experience, they were absolutely fine.

-Alex

Reactions: destructure00

What is your method for bleeding, and how much do you bleed?

I was wondering whether air in the caliper might reduce the force exerted by the upper piston (compared to the lower piston) but it does seem clutching at straws. I think you need harder pads. I remember years ago fitting Mintex race pads and being told “they won’t work on the street, won’t work until warmed up” but in my actual experience, they were absolutely fine.

-Alex
Most likely not. All the piston chambers are linked so the pressure is equalized in all chambers of the caliper then the entire brake system.

Reactions: alexGS
What is your method for bleeding, and how much do you bleed?

Order is right rear, left rear, right front outer, right front inner, left front outer, left front inner.

I'm using the Motive power bleeder, with fluid pressurized to 15 psi. When I swapped from stock fluid I ran 1L through, then waited a few days, engaged the ABS a few times, and ran a second liter through. When I bled this morning, I probably used half a liter. Cracked the valve and let it flow for 15-20 seconds and shut it. Went through about half a Motive catch bottle worth between all 4 corners.

Is there anything I should be doing differently?

Reactions: beastmode13
Order is right rear, left rear, right front outer, right front inner, left front outer, left front inner.

I'm using the Motive power bleeder, with fluid pressurized to 15 psi. When I swapped from stock fluid I ran 1L through, then waited a few days, engaged the ABS a few times, and ran a second liter through. When I bled this morning, I probably used half a liter. Cracked the valve and let it flow for 15-20 seconds and shut it. Went through about half a Motive catch bottle worth between all 4 corners.

Is there anything I should be doing differently?
Your procedure and setup is just like mine. With the exception of volume.

When my brake is mushed. I would use an entire quart/liter of ATE Super Blue to purge out all the old fluids. Once brake fluid container is opened, it is exposed to moisture in the air, no point in storing them, so might as well use it when it is fresh. Then use the desired fluid (Motul or Castro) to purge out the ATE, again I would use up the entire container once it’s opened.

Yeah a little unevenness is normal but that looks kinda excessive, especially with the cracked pad there. What brake pads are those?
I need to find some of the super blue and do that, wasn't sure when I had the stock fluid flushed. Thanks!

FYI, they don't sell Super Blue anymore. It was great; you used to be able to tell when the old fluid was out and the new fluid was in, because it would change from blue to gold. But apparently it's illegal for brake fluid to be blue, so they stopped making it.

Anyway that procedure sounds fine. If you think it's not working, you can do the ChrisFix "one man bleeder" method which you can find on YouTube.

Yeah a little unevenness is normal but that looks kinda excessive, especially with the cracked pad there. What brake pads are those?

FYI, they don't sell Super Blue anymore. It was great; you used to be able to tell when the old fluid was out and the new fluid was in, because it would change from blue to gold. But apparently it's illegal for brake fluid to be blue, so they stopped making it.

Anyway that procedure sounds fine. If you think it's not working, you can do the ChrisFix "one man bleeder" method which you can find on YouTube.

Those are the stock performance front pads. I have RB XT910s on order to replace them.

Thanks for the info, I'll look up that video.

Got the fronts done this morning. The hat on the RB rotor is about 3mm thicker than stock, so it hides the lip around the hub. May or may not be useful info for anyone dealing with wheel fitment issues.

Brake pedal feel is back to nice and firm with new pads on front. Curious to see what the rears look like when I swap them out too.

IMG_20190622_081837.jpg

IMG_20190622_081849.jpg

After bedding
IMG_20190622_113831.jpg

Got the fronts done this morning. The hat on the RB rotor is about 3mm thicker than stock, so it hides the lip around the hub. May or may not be useful info for anyone dealing with wheel fitment issues.

Brake pedal feel is back to nice and firm with new pads on front. Curious to see what the rears look like when I swap them out too.

View attachment 422059

View attachment 422058

After bedding
View attachment 422057

Nice!! It’s probably closer to 5mm thicker. Looks to be about 2mm further out than the 3mm lip that’s present with stock rotors.