Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

P3D Highway Passing Speed.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Owners - please comment on highway passing speed. I am torn between a used S and a new P3D and I would like to make a decision before the 3% price increase.

Please, no theoretical data extrapolated from 0 to xxx runs.

50 - 70
70 - 90
90 + does it still pull.

What speed do you hit before it gets soft.

Assume a high SOC, 80% minimum.

What SOC does the entire performance get mushy?

I know the 0 - 60 is great, but my racing days are long past. I need to know how well I can get rid of an idiot on the highway.

Thank you in advance for your input.

Good passing speed data us hard to find. Lots of opinions and extrapolations out there but very little actual, reliable, owner data.

Also, the physics of a 0 - 100 pull are entirely different than 50 - 70 or 70 - 90 or punching it when doing a steady cruise at 90. For insurance purposes, I rarely ever cruise at 100. However, there are always instances where you are driving fast and you still need to punch it for whatever reason.

I currently drive a Mercedes SL550. I know that, no matter what speed, if I punch it then it shifts down and I'm am out of there at just close to lightspeed.

If the P3D can't do that, then I'll wait for the right P100D to hit CPO. Right now they are woefully short on inventory.

Owners - please comment on highway passing speed. I am torn between a used S and a new P3D and I would like to make a decision before the 3% price increase.

Please, no theoretical data extrapolated from 0 to xxx runs.

50 - 70
70 - 90
90 + does it still pull.

What speed do you hit before it gets soft.

Assume a high SOC, 80% minimum.

What SOC does the entire performance get mushy?

I know the 0 - 60 is great, but my racing days are long past. I need to know how well I can get rid of an idiot on the highway.

Thank you in advance for your input.

50-70: 1.71s
70-90: ?? (only have 2 runs @ ~3.79s, so I'm not sure if I was actually timing them)
60-90: 3.45s

These are dragy runs.

Good passing speed data us hard to find. Lots of opinions and extrapolations out there but very little actual, reliable, owner data.

Also, the physics of a 0 - 100 pull are entirely different than 50 - 70 or 70 - 90 or punching it when doing a steady cruise at 90. For insurance purposes, I rarely ever cruise at 100. However, there are always instances where you are driving fast and you still need to punch it for whatever reason.

I currently drive a Mercedes SL550. I know that, no matter what speed, if I punch it then it shifts down and I'm am out of there at just close to lightspeed.

If the P3D can't do that, then I'll wait for the right P100D to hit CPO. Right now they are woefully short on inventory.

I think I may have a great perspective for you then!

I have a P3D, convinced dad to get a P100D.
He found an amazing deal on P100D so it was about the same cost to lease as a 75D(showroom car, with cloth seats=~30k off!). So I have experience with both. We also had a comparable ICE as we had a 2016 M5 with a Dinan tune in our stable for about 7 months (Leaseswap FTW).

The highway feel on both of them is very similar. Above 80, the Tesla's do not pull like a Turbo V8. But they do pull plenty strong and are very usable. I would say test them, but they are so much more fun than the M5 overall, with the only let down being above 80 and the roar :).

Between the P3D and the P100D, go P3D. He actually is debating swapping the lease on the P100D for a 3. Inside they feel the same spacewise. You lose the hatch, which is the major letdown of the 3, but the 3 has same space, much better tech, and is way easier on ergonomics. The 3 feels so much more modern and tighter to drive.

Just my $.02

I got 2.06s 50-70 measured with Vbox on my AWD. It feels very strong but definitely loses steam over 70mph. When I drove a 75D loaner it seemed weaker.
Picking between the two on that criteria seems silly though. Pick the one you like to drive.
The one I like to drive is the one with the best highway pull. That's where I use speed the most.

I know a P100D would do it, but I'm cheap, dammit! :)

Also, the physics of a 0 - 100 pull are entirely different than 50 - 70 or 70 - 90 or punching it when doing a steady cruise at 90.

Curious what physics you're talking about?

On an ICE vehicle that data isn't useful because the car has to waste a bunch of time downshifting... but a Model 3 (or S) is a 1-speed- there's no reason for the speed you start at to matter in that regard.

Flooring it at 50 and measuring to 70 should be about the same time as already having it floored when you reach 50 and measuring to 70... it's not lot weight transfer difference would be enough to majorly change the results like it might from 0.

Without 1 foot rollout and the 5% power boost, it's 0-60 in 3.5 seconds and 0-100 in 8.84 seconds. So 5 seconds to go from 60-100.

Tesla Model 3 Performance: Track Test

In the Boston area....

if I want that lane, I'm taking it. There aren't many cars around here that can speed up enough to prevent that. And around here, they absolutely try to.

What Nate said exactly. If you're trying to piss on someone who is already going 70-80, this is not the car to get. Challengers will beat you. It will still pass normal cars "quickly", but it's nothing like passing when going 0 or 30mph.

Last edited: