Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

P3D Highway Passing Speed.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
FYI, I was next to a friend in his RS7 at a stoplight and decided to have some fun - blew by him so fast I didn't think he was even racing, so I let off the accelerator completely around 40MPH, only to see him roar past - I caught up to within one car length around 70MPH but couldn't gain any further, up to 100MPH. Can't wait for that extra 5% ;)

I went to Tesla and test drove a P3D and had my buddy drive my sl550 on the highway beside me.

I killed him on a 60 mph pull. I got a good jump on the 70 mph pull. We did 2 80 mph pulls. On both of them, as expected, I got the jump until my sl550 twin turbos kicked in and we were virtually neck and neck until about 110 mph and we bailed out.
So only one question left. Did you place your order?

Reactions: hoang51 and Scott7
You just nailed the 1,000,000 dollar question.

I am having a hard time deciding if I want to leave my luxurious sl550 for the great, albeit fashioned with less than rich materials. My wood and leather steering wheel and my massaging seat with 56 million plus adjustments are fantastic.

On the other hand, full self driving in Los Angeles traffic is nirvana.

I had to get some food to do some power thinking....still working on both.

Oh, forgot to mention, the P3D had about 60% SOC and did NOT have the extra 5% hp boost yet.

Sounds like you liked the car. Just keep in mind that the 5% boost might not provide any benefit at these speeds - no one knows yet, probably. Remember it’s peak HP increase, and Tesla may taper the power back to the original curve by 80mph.

The SoC probably would help you though unless you had track mode on (apparently it pulls the power very little in track mode, even at low SoC - this is hearsay from these forums though - I’d like to see data ).

Passing at highway speed is not a problem at all. The 3 pulls really hard until 60, then just hard until 90 or so, 100-120 is steady but not jaw dropping. You don't need draw dropping speed to pass somebody at 80. If you do then you should not pass that person. Any car that will be a challenge at that speed is somebody that you don't want to pass, I don't care what car you are in. Do you want to get into a wreck at 120?

What Nate said exactly. If you're trying to piss on someone who is already going 70-80, this is not the car to get. Challengers will beat you. It will still pass normal cars "quickly", but it's nothing like passing when going 0 or 30mph.
Are we talking racing or passing? If another car is going 80 and floors if when I try to pass him, I don't care what I'm in. I'm not going to go to 120 to try to overtake some idiot.

You just nailed the 1,000,000 dollar question.

I am having a hard time deciding if I want to leave my luxurious sl550 for the great, albeit fashioned with less than rich materials. My wood and leather steering wheel and my massaging seat with 56 million plus adjustments are fantastic.

On the other hand, full self driving in Los Angeles traffic is nirvana.

I had to get some food to do some power thinking....still working on both.
You could keep both in your stable for a few months and just see which one you choose to drive.... Many members of this forum have kept their previous vehicle because it offered something they thought the Model 3 was missing only to realize they never choose to drive it. A few months of depreciation might be worth the enlightenment

Reactions: hoang51
Ditched my 2016 F80 BMW M3 after taking my P3D+. Bought the Tesla sight unseen and un-tested but after 30 minutes realized that the BMW was an old tech dinosaur. Some people equate lots of knobs, switches and levers with luxury...I associate them with poor ergonomics and pain in the ass to keep clean dust magnets. BMW, Mercedes and Porsche do not interest me in the least anymore. Lifelong BMW CCA membership is now #deleted. The P3D is so much more modern from an ergonomic and tech standpoint as well as much much much quicker than any Mercedes from a stop....it’s just ridiculously quick. Good luck with your old tech car.

Maybe what the OP will miss most is the drama and excitement of a powerful ICE vehicle when you step of the throttle at cruising speeds. First, nothing happens, then the automatic transmission shifts down a couple gears, then the noise get loud, the rear end squats down, the revs rise in dramatic fashion, the motor ramps further up the rpm scale, the turbos spin up and begin to increase boost, and the car lunges ahead, with perhaps an additional shift and the feeling or rapid acceleration.

With a Tesla, none of this theater is experienced. The car simply and instantly lunges forward. At lower speeds the lunge is powerful, but at higher speeds the feeling is more subdued, but the result is the same...the car simply gets where you want it to go and accomplishes what you want it to do without all the noise.

It takes a while to evolve your expectations in what you want your car to do for you. After a short adaption you learn to appreciate the capabilities of no shifting, silent acceleration and exquisite throttle control.

No, it doesn't. Your just making excuses for the fact that you were wrong and another user busted you on it.

Oh, FYI, I live in Los Angeles, where those 1% cars live.

No more excuses - take the loss.
PS. The P3D is so much quicker than ANY Mercedes from a stop that if it wants the
What the hell are you talking about? I just care which car is faster.
The Tesla P3D will blow your POS Mercedes into the weeds. From a stop if I want the lane or anything ahead of your antique Dino mobile it’s mine and there isn’t a thing you can do about it. It’s actually a cool safety feature to be able to accelerate so quickly that you leave the troubles behind. Tesla is incredible and the old legacy stuff just isn’t....

If it is all about highway extra legal passing speeds, then a big hp gasser with multiple gears will be the one to choose. If you have the chance to plan ahead, and get into the proper gear before mashing the throttle the gasser will provide the fastest passing authority. Aero will also come into play as you get much over 120.

I had these same game to play when I used to race sport bikes against my Supercharged Viper. At lower velocities they would run off from me, but if I could get our beginning speeds up to 70 mph or so, my Viper would pull away. Bikes tapped out at 12o, bit the Viper had the gears to get to +200 mph.

Until the New Roadster is released, the gassers will rule the extra legal passing speeds game.