Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

P3D Highway Range — Early Cautious Optimism

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Have about 1200 miles on my car in one week. I have a P3D on aeros and live in the yay area and travel to North Bay and Central valley quiet a bit.

I have averaged on the freeway when driving around 80-85 about 240wh/m and have a total average around 260 but I have driven like a pretty big asshole since I received the car(enjoying the acceleration for sure) when not traveling for work.

Those numbers are off the to of my head last time I checked. Tomorrow I will check and edit the numbers if they are different.

I have averaged on the freeway when driving around 80-85 about 240wh/m and have a total average around 260 .

Please confirm this next time you get out to your car because 240wh/m is incredible. Most P3Ds and 3Ds are averaging 270-280 so far so you have me highly optimistic with my upcoming AWD! (Will be 90% highway driving).

Edit: also - is this with or without aeros? and do you have a P-AWD or AWD? tire size?

Please confirm this next time you get out to your car because 240wh/m is incredible. Most P3Ds and 3Ds are averaging 270-280 so far so you have me highly optimistic with my upcoming AWD! (Will be 90% highway driving).

Edit: also - is this with or without aeros? and do you have a P-AWD or AWD? tire size?

This is with aeros and I have P. Trip a is my lifetime average.

Attachments

• D74C4E09-730C-436A-BCE8-BFEBC6D0D19D.jpeg
    D74C4E09-730C-436A-BCE8-BFEBC6D0D19D.jpeg
    244.7 KB · Views: 146
  • 8BE1F70B-145C-466F-B7CB-665B2FF040E7.jpeg
    8BE1F70B-145C-466F-B7CB-665B2FF040E7.jpeg
    340.2 KB · Views: 109
The 74 mph average in my Model S in 70-90 degree weather is 260-270 with 19" wheels so that's a really big impact of the 20" wheels and Pilot Sport tires. Are you confident that the efficiency is that bad at that speed?
I was going to chime in similarly.

I don't have a dual motor car, so even my less efficient '13 RSD 85 w/ 19's sees somewhere around 275 @ 70 MPH with no negative factors (elevation, wind, rain, etc...).

I just wanted to share this wonderfully detailed chart that helps to answer our questions about efficiency:
Tesla Model S/X/3 range at 65/70/75/80 mph
That chart is indeed very detailed... but the data in it is suspect.

According to it a 2014 RWD 85 w/19's that's experienced 5% degradation should only be able to drive 224 miles.

My car is a '13 RWD 85 w/19's (however with a reman pack, but one that had similar range as the original), and indeed is about 95% rated range as compared to "advertised" (253 miles vs. 265).

However I can, with good driving conditions, indeed get rated range on the highway. I can, and have, get 250+ miles out of it. The only way I lose 30 miles of range is with factors like elevation, wind, or a lead foot.

Agree with the above post. I have a 2014 P85 with 19's and I can get 250+ miles at about 70 mph. Being an experienced owner in Portland, OR I can say the driver above who saw increased Wh usage in heavy rain is normal. If I'm hitting water in the Model S I can see 400+ Wh/mi.

Reactions: scaesare
I also tend to beat what the chart shows. But, when driving on the highway, I typically have the wind of traffic going with me. There are times I've been going around 90 mph and been getting like 300kwh/mi. In the summer I usually exceed this. In the winter it's not even close. I will plan on using 50% more energy in the winter than summer.
The graph does show a great way to compare different vehicles. What I learned is that I should get similar range with the S 90D and the P3D+ (with 19' wheels).
The real world will always be different. Headwinds or tailwinds, temperature, etc...

As a comparison for those interested, 3yr/36,000 miles in my 2015 S 70D, 18" wheels, gave a lifetime 333kWh/mi

Hard to make a useful comparison using a lifetime number without knowing where and how you drive.

For example, my 2016 X75D is at a little over 38k right now, and my lifetime is 328 Wh/mile are the moment - there's no way my X is more efficient than your S, it must be the differences in how and where they were driven (and at that, my average is higher than I think it should normally be, driven by far too many fast freeway miles in freezing weather the last couple winters.)

And here's a long distance drive with AWD:

So you dont have to watch the entire 20 min:
Mountain View to Truckee, 219 mi real distance. Wanted to go nonstop (he bought the car to go nonstop) but forced to supercharge in Sacremento. Numbers that will only get worse in winter. 305mi @ 100% charge and 310wh/mi efficiency. Disappointed that Tesla fudged the total rated range numbers on the variants of the 3 to keep them all the same.

Last edited:
Mountain View to Truckee, 219 mi real distance. Wanted to go nonstop (he bought the car to go nonstop) but forced to supercharge in Sacremento. Numbers that will only get worse in winter. 305mi @ 100% charge and 310wh/mi efficiency. Disappointed that Tesla fudged the total rated range numbers on the variants of the 3 to keep them all the same.
Would he have not made it in one charge?

This drive is over a 7000 foot pass from sea level. Totally expected. Do the reverse drive and see what the range is...

Reactions: rjcbox
Would he have not made it in one charge?

He says no. A better route planner says a RWD would have been able to with margin.

This drive is over a 7000 foot pass from sea level. Totally expected. Do the reverse drive and see what the range is...

Its a ~6000ft gain. You'd expect a non stop trip on the way back. The range comment is in reference to the fact that a brand new car just max ranged charged to 305mi with a 310mi advertised range.

rt is indeed very detailed... but the data in it is suspect.

I'd expect 260wh/mi or lower for the drive back.

Its a ~6000ft gain. You'd expect a non stop trip on the way back. The range comment is in reference to the fact that a brand new car just max ranged charged to 305mi with a 310mi advertised range.
I drive this pass frequently and own property nearby at 6900' elevation. Donner Summit on I80 is over 7200' elevation and Mountain View is officially 102' elevation.

• Informative
Reactions: rjcbox