Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

P3D Highway Range — Early Cautious Optimism

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Took delivery of my AWD non P today. First drive back from the service center recorded at 223 wh/mi over about 31 miles, 108F with no wind, AC at 73F. Traffic flowing smoothly with no stop and go, between 65-71mph. No hard acceleration, normal driving only.

Satisfied with those results. Should easily get full rated range from this vehicle.

Attachments

• 747d8954-bae0-4a3c-9502-2bcb52fe59a1.jpg
    747d8954-bae0-4a3c-9502-2bcb52fe59a1.jpg
    440.4 KB · Views: 127
Last edited:
Took delivery of my AWD non P today. First drive back from the service center recorded at 223 wh/mi over about 31 miles, 108F with no wind, AC at 73F. Traffic flowing smoothly with no stop and go, between 65-71mph. No hard acceleration, normal driving only.

Satisfied with those results. Should easily get full rated range from this vehicle.
Is that with 18” Aeros I assume?

Can you report your elevation from stating distance and ending distance?
Elevation of any address - veloroutes.org

Then we can calibrate for the gravitational potential energy difference :).

The drive was downhill by 177 ft over 31 miles. Phoenix metro is pretty flat in the east-west direction.

177 feet is roughly 271.8 Wh / 31 miles = 8.76 Wh/mile.

177 = 54 meters
Eg = m*g*h (1847 kg * 9.82 m/s^s * 54 m)
Eg = 978513 J / 3600 J/Wh = 271.8 Wh

I'd say you did really well with 232 Wh/mile had it been pure flat terrain. You can avoid this calculation if you look at the round-trip (ending at the same starting point).

My lifetime on a Model S is 297 Wh/mi with almost 50k miles so that is bad. :)
For your data to be most useful, the battery size and motor configuration is kind of important information.

As an example, my 2012 S P85 lifetime is ~ 400 Wh/mi over 47k miles. It used to be higher, but I started babying the car more (and driving it less).

Does the front motor even kick in if you don't hit the gas hard?

At slow speeds you can hear the faint sound of the front motor. It's very quiet and if you haven't driven a Tesla before you might not even notice. Under full acceleration you can definitely hear it and it sounds like a space ship. Here's a video of a 0-60 run I did over the weekend. 3.2 seconds on the Vbox. You can really hear the electric motors.

At slow speeds you can hear the faint sound of the front motor. It's very quiet and if you haven't driven a Tesla before you might not even notice. Under full acceleration you can definitely hear it and it sounds like a space ship. Here's a video of a 0-60 run I did over the weekend. 3.2 seconds on the Vbox. You can really hear the electric motors.

Nice job! For some reason your video makes it look way faster than the other 0-60 videos I've seen. That thing accelerates like a rail gun!

If I may ask, what are the first 3 digits of your VIN? I am curious whether Tesla improved efficiency in newer AWD production. I’ve driven two AWDs (with aeros) with VINs in the 60k and 70k range, and both ran in the 240-260 wh/mi range while driving at 65mph on a level highway.

If I may ask, what are the first 3 digits of your VIN? I am curious whether Tesla improved efficiency in newer AWD production. I’ve driven two AWDs (with aeros) with VINs in the 60k and 70k range, and both ran in the 240-260 wh/mi range while driving at 65mph on a level highway.

If you note my calculation above, he was closer to 230 Wh/mi when you account for height differences. I don't think there is any increased efficiency among the motors. I imagine the only possible change would be software driven.

We got the first AWD (not P, but should be the same) vs. RWD energy consumption test over here:

Any Model 3 RWD 18" driver willing to head to the Springfield MO area for data gathering vs. an AWD?

Due to traffic and some other factors they had rather poor quality data (more data collection, incl. rolldown tests, would be awesome! ;) ), but so far it's looking like the difference between AWD/P and RWD isn't nearly as much as the EPA tests suggest. Which would support the hypothesis that the EPA tests were done with different wheels than the RWD.

But that's based on rather limited data so far.