Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

P3D horsepower?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The 480 hp that the model 3 has now is at the rear wheels, ICE cars give ratings at the crank, so our 480 is about 540 for ICE cars at the crank. They lose about 15%
We should be over 500 with the bump.

I heard that the Model 3 got as fast as 2.6 0-60 from a factory source. I am sure Elon is holding back a bit more so he can add as he wishes to deal with competition. Just like the 50hp bump coming for the S

The 480 hp that the model 3 has now is at the rear wheels, ICE cars give ratings at the crank, so our 480 is about 540 for ICE cars at the crank. They lose about 15%
We should be over 500 with the bump.

I heard that the Model 3 got as fast as 2.6 0-60 from a factory source. I am sure Elon is holding back a bit more so he can add as he wishes to deal with competition. Just like the 50hp bump coming for the S
If the p3d ever jumped to 2.6 0-60 that would be incredible!

The 480 hp that the model 3 has now is at the rear wheels,

Pretty sure the quotes of torque & power are at the output of the motors, combined, since that is traditional.

I thought it was 473, then +5%= 496 then the latest +5%=521

This was the torque (initially it was quoted at 450HP/471lb-ft in Road & Track).

So the first boost was to about 472HP/495lb-ft, and the second boost (if it also increases the peak torque) would be to 496HP/520lb-ft.

If these torque numbers were translated to the wheels without loss, the 472HP/495lb-ft numbers would result in considerably faster acceleration than is documented. (Right now, prior to the latest bump, it is measured at about 0.86g.) The 495lb-ft number (if there were no losses on it) would result in 495lb-ft*9*12in/ft/13.26in/4250lbs = 0.95g. So they are not "no-loss" numbers as far as I know.

• Informative
Reactions: Cowby
Pretty sure the quotes of torque & power are at the output of the motors, combined, since that is traditional.

This was the torque (initially it was quoted at 450HP/471lb-ft in Road & Track).

So the first boost was to about 472HP/495lb-ft, and the second boost (if it also increases the peak torque) would be to 496HP/520lb-ft.

If these torque numbers were translated to the wheels without loss, the 472HP/495lb-ft numbers would result in considerably faster acceleration than is documented. (Right now, prior to the latest bump, it is measured at about 0.86g.) The 495lb-ft number (if there were no losses on it) would result in 495lb-ft*9*12in/ft/13.26in/4250lbs = 0.95g. So they are not "no-loss" numbers as far as I know.

I find it odd that Tesla doesn’t tell you hp/tq numbers. I wonder what the reason is? It’s the kind of thing they could advertise - e.g. now 496hp after FREE software update!

They probably stopped advertising horsepower / torque figures to avoid future legal troubles after the Norwegian lawsuit that they lost over false hp advertising. I still don't find them fully candid since they list 0-60 times to make the P3 appear artificially faster than the AWD. But it's whatever. We get free hp bumps that normally cost a good deal of money so I can forgive them.

• Informative
Reactions: Dr. J
I did not know that. Tesla could always just publish the true numbers, no?

You would have to ask Tesla. I’m sure there are a number of reasons why the chose not to.

One is, they got sued over inflated P85D numbers
Two is, they would probably get sued again when your car is 3 years old and the battery is not capable of producing those original HP numbers.
Three, four, and five could all have to do with “Elon-math”.

You would have to ask Tesla. I’m sure there are a number of reasons why the chose not to.

One is, they got sued over inflated P85D numbers
Two is, they would probably get sued again when your car is 3 years old and the battery is not capable of producing those original HP numbers.
Three, four, and five could all have to do with “Elon-math”.

Well, ICE vehicles don’t produce the same horsepower, either, after x number of miles. No matter the reason, hopefully we get some dyno numbers from somewhere, preferably a before and after on the same dyno.

Reactions: RobRain
Well, ICE vehicles don’t produce the same horsepower, either, after x number of miles. No matter the reason, hopefully we get some dyno numbers from somewhere, preferably a before and after on the same dyno.

Your fuel tank capacity on an ICE vehicle isn’t also going down at the same time. As I said, it’s a question for Tesla.

All we know is they got their pants sued off last time they published numbers and I wouldn’t expect them to do it again.

Been for a bit of a drive this morning, definitely feels like it pulls harder. Also feels like the throttle response is somehow different. It seems to pull for longer as well. Not so much interested in the headline number.

That’s awesome. I’ll make an appointment at the track as soon as I get the update. I’m curious if 11.4 at 118/119 mph will be within reach post-update..

Reactions: WilliamG