Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

P3D- is absolutely ridiculous!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well height alone isn't the factor to consider. Where was it getting close to scraping? Because if it's the bumper, than the longer the distance of bumper from wheel will require higher clearance. Say, if your BMW has 3ft from wheel to front of car, and with 6.25" clearance being enough, if the model S has less clearance, but only has say 2.5ft from wheel to the front of the car, it may still be just fine.

Same applies to if you need the clearance in the middle of the car. If the distance between rear and front wheels is shorter than your BMW, the less clearance you'll need, and vice versa.

Here's an image I took when the person came over to test their M3 RWD Aero wheels. So it's the middle of the car that scrapes since the front wheels are dropping down to street level, the rear is still coming up the driveway ramp. (Also, I feel like I'm intruding on the real post here... not sure the etiquette). I assume this thumbnail will link to the full image.

IMG_7479.jpg

Here's an image I took when the person came over to test their M3 RWD Aero wheels. So it's the middle of the car that scrapes since the front wheels are dropping down to street level, the rear is still coming up the driveway ramp. (Also, I feel like I'm intruding on the real post here... not sure the etiquette). I assume this thumbnail will link to the full image.

View attachment 436942

Ok, so if it's in the middle of the car, you probably want to look at wheelbase. Model S is 116.5, where as Model 3 is 113.2. Not sure what your current car is. I suppose if you had air suspension on the Model S you could probably get better clearance than that by raising it to the high position.

Reactions: spiritwalkerca
Just took delivery of the P3D- and I have to say it is an absolute blast!!! I loved the RWD LR model I had before, but this is on a whole new level of utter ridiculousness (in a good way).

The sheer brutal, violent acceleration of the P3D- is no joke. The RWD has a nice punch, but the P3D is like a punch to the throat and stomach. It’s so quick.

If you’re on the fence, go for it. It’s a great value (relatively speaking of course). To me, this is the best Tesla Model 3 configuration available, and it’s not even close. For under 50K you can get a car that does 0-60 in 3 seconds and change, while retaining good ride quality and excellent range thanks to the Aero wheels.

I won’t lie, I wasn’t a fan of the Aeros at all, and it was one of the main reasons why I was considering the PUP, but I suggest just getting over it or buying an extra set of wheels, or removing the covers and getting the wheel cap kit. The wheels make a huge difference in range, ride quality, and overall cost savings (no bent rims, Uber-expensive rubber, etc).

One of my favorite things about this config is just how much of a sleeper it is. This is the definition of a sleeper car, and I love that. It’s relatively low key, (well, as low key as you can be in a Model 3) which is my preference. It’s so unassuming, outside of the small Dual Motor badge with the red underline. It lends a subtle hint as to what this thing is capable of, but it’s otherwise completely unassuming. But like others have said, those who know, know. And that folks is why the P3D- is the best Tesla vehicle configuration in my opinion.

Now, imagine if you will, hitting 60 in 2/3 of that time. MS P100D! Instant whiplash :)

After 11,500 miles with my 3P+ or whatever you call it, i can only say by far best car ever, and I am still paying $80k(tax incl), at $50k is a joke to be honest. I did complain about range, but looks like is due to wheels, coming from a LR RWD beast range didn’t help much.

Personally I would still get bigger brakes and better grip wheels. LR RWD was very very slippery on a rainy day, too much in my opinion. Can’t imagine driving a 3seconds car on the 18” aero wheel... specially on a rainy day. But the added range of 50miles would be awesome. Pros and cons.

Reactions: WilliamG
Yes, I ordered wheels from service center. To many folks wanted to much money for them and they mostly came with the Continental Tires I didn't want any way. I looked and looked on ebay and never saw any "new" 19" come up. Many refurbs or Plasti Dipped ones. I think Service Center will ship them to your home if you want. Might cost extra though. My Service center is 40 minutes away and had 3 in stock and got the 4th one in 2 days or so. Center caps are extra (I think $15/each). You can use your original lug

19’s have nothing to do with it.

It’s the rubber. I agree Continental tires won’t do much better than the OEM 20” tire. But a 700 Tread wear tire will do a lot better than even the Primacy’s (a 500 Tread wear tire).

The difference in efficiencies is not the rim size. It’s the rubber compound you choose. 20” OEM tires a very soft, inefficient sticky tires.

The trade off is grip vs efficiency. I chose efficiency.

This is since installing 19”. AWD Performance with AC. Exactly what I was getting with Aero’s.

48427273546_3ec9ac0859_b_d.jpg
Has anyone put more efficient tires on a P3D+ 20”? I would be interested to know how much efficiency can be squeezed out
of those.

After 11,500 miles with my 3P+ or whatever you call it, i can only say by far best car ever, and I am still paying $80k(tax incl), at $50k is a joke to be honest. I did complain about range, but looks like is due to wheels, coming from a LR RWD beast range didn’t help much.

Personally I would still get bigger brakes and better grip wheels. LR RWD was very very slippery on a rainy day, too much in my opinion. Can’t imagine driving a 3seconds car on the 18” aero wheel... specially on a rainy day. But the added range of 50miles would be awesome. Pros and cons.

If you install Pilot Sport 4S on the Aeros you’ll have more than enough grip in rain during the summer. That’s what I’m doing. I personally prefer the look of the Aeros with the covers removed along with a slightly wider 245/45/18 tire. Looks like nascar tire. :D

Add me to the pile of "regretful" owners of mere AWD cars who keep torturing themselves by reading the P3D- delivery experiences.

To the OP: Enjoy the car and thanks (???) for doing your part to convert me into a proper "please Elon, let us pay money for a software unlock" Tesla owner! o_Oo_Oo_O

If it’s the same hardware, then I do think one day there could be a software unlock. Just like with the “uncorked” Model S 75D to match the 90D acceleration.

Can someone please clue me in on the P- and P+ meaning? I get the P, Performance, but the - + is confusing to me. What about a P3D-, etc?

I ask because a Model 3 AWD Performance would be of interest to me and if i could figure out all the other abbreviations that might be helpful! Ordering via the website I don't see all of these - + and D options.

TIA

Can someone please clue me in on the P- and P+ meaning? I get the P, Performance, but the - + is confusing to me. What about a P3D-, etc?

I ask because a Model 3 AWD Performance would be of interest to me and if i could figure out all the other abbreviations that might be helpful! Ordering via the website I don't see all of these - + and D options.

TIA

+ means it has the $5k PUP (Performance Upgrade Package). This is the 20" Sport wheels, sticky tires, big red brakes, carbon fiber spoiler, performance pedals, higher top speed, and track mode. P- is just as fast, but comes with 18" or 19" wheels and you don't get the items I mentioned. It's basically an uncorked dual motor. P- isn't listed on the website, you have to work with a sales advisor, etc.

• Disagree
Reactions: Sklith