Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

P3D is like an S that has been cross training for a year

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sometimes I never know where to post things, because this covers the S and the 3.

I picked up my S85 from the Pomona service center today after it has been there for a month (which is actually not part of the story), which means that I have been driving my P3D daily for the same length of time.

"Wow!" I thought as I saw a nice looking white (the real white) S coming from the back of the service center and down the parking lot. The tech was really moving and the car looked sexy. Then I realized, "Hey, that's mine."

I swapped the loaner key with the tech for my FOB (thank god, a real working FOB) and walked around the car again checking to see if the SC had had hurt her while she was there. I hadn't seen her for a month, and she looked great. Pomona did a real nice wash. My eyes darted to a P3D similar to mine (the new white), but were immediately drawn back to my S, old nose and all.

The old girl is just sexier than the 3. All the parts are in just the right spots and the lines and ratios just work better.

I got in, the tan leather seats are dated, showing some age, but have no real flaws. It took me a moment to get my bearings with stalks and screens being different and was off...in complete silence since she is on 19s, air suspended, and rear wheel drive. It didn't even feel like I was moving until I hit 20mph.

Then on my first left, "What the hell... why is the steering wheel so big? Why is it not turning? Is this a Tesla Semi?" I thought that it had to be in comfort steering, but nope, in sport mode. A few more turns and memories of my grandmothers 1977 Ford LTD are flooding back, but it is quiet in the cabin. Really quiet. I come to a red light and press the brake to engage "hold", and nothing. I have to keep the car from moving myself (it's a 2013). Ugh, I shiver a bit. 45 seconds of holding the brake pedal seemed like forever.

Getting on freeway. Nice, smooth, quiet, and s l o w... Now we all no that Tesla really doesn't make slow cars, but this is no P3D. Yet still I moved ahead of just about everyone easily, but being that this is a 2013 S, it is probably a true 5.6 second car. Great compared to most ICE cars. Find my lane, which is not the carpool anymore, since I'm a white sticker person, and I follow the law (why don't so many others? - different thread) and try to engage auto-pilot and "Oh snap", this car doesn't have it, so I drive myself, but in silence.

But the next 15 freeway minutes were amazing.The air suspension/tire combo did its thing and made the ride quiet, comfortable, but a tad floaty feeling. Concrete grooves and expansion joints meant nothing to her, and I was happy. Then I marveled at the 17" portrait format screen, and driver's binnacle and everything made sense again. The nav window on top was big enough and uncluttered, and I had the rear camera in the lower view. It's version 9, which I hate, but it just uses the screen real estate better. The drivers binnacle screen is nice, since it keeps most of that data off the main screen, unless you want it there.

By the time I as home I was in love again. Tesla hit it out of the park with the S the first time. I hope when they refresh her again, that they really keep what's good. I think switching to a landscape oriented screen is a bad idea, but that's the apparent direction. Maybe if there is a heads up display they will be better able to layout the windows on the main screen???

I pulled the S into the garage next the P3D and switched. Not more than three feet out of the garage and she was showing years worth of cross training and wanting to run. Loudly with 20" shoes and springs, but sprinting effortlessly forward, left and right.

So, which one?

Both, until the 3 gets air, and I switch to 19s, or the S loses weight in a refresh.

Amazing cars either way.

...my thoughts exactly after selling my 2013 S85 for my P3D+...
And it's hard to switch back & forth to my wife's 2015 S70D...ride, handling, muscle memory...
Yup.

I'm pretty sure that I am going to have to switch to 19s/more rubber, and even the Mountain Sports Comfort springs. I keep wanting to say its for my wife, but the tire/wheel noise and harshness is tiring day-to-day. But the turn-in is amazing as is.