TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

P3D+ Lowering with Unplugged Mild or TSportline Recommendation

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by macgeng, Dec 12, 2018.

1. macgeng

macgeng Member

Would love to get feedback from P3D+ owners with either Unplugged Performance Mild or TSportline 1" lowering springs installed compared with their stock springs. Pics too, please. Thank you!

2. P3D_Denver

P3D_Denver Member

i pre-ordered T Sport P3D+ lowering springs in Aug and Im being told January delivery - it keeps getting pushed. I can’t imagine many people being ahead of me, so as soon as I get them installed I’ll let ya know!

• Like x 1
  3. SD_Engnr

SD_Engnr Active Member

No one has them except for whoever ran the prototypes. Same with the Eibach's that will be released eventually.

4. macgeng

macgeng Member

Wait. So all the lowered ones with red calipers I’m seeing on all these threads are fake-me-out P3D+? Waaahhhh??

5. SD_Engnr

SD_Engnr Active Member

Yep. There are probably 3 real P3D+s out there that are actually lowered. And as far as I know, it's all on prototype/pre-production parts.

• Like x 1
  6. kbecks13

kbecks13 Active Member

• Like x 1
    • Love x 1
  7. macgeng

macgeng Member

Lol that’s too fast and furious for me. I remember back in the days my buddies talking about coilovers for their Integra Type-R.

8. FlyNavy01

FlyNavy01 Member

I'd say lowering springs are more "fast and furious" than actual adjustable coilovers. With just lowering springs you'll be hitting the bump stops a lot more often.

• Like x 3
    • Disagree x 2
  9. P3D_Denver

P3D_Denver Member

depends on how low you go, the T sports are only 1” on the P3D that already has a ton of wheel gap

10. kbecks13

kbecks13 Active Member

But say your suspension travel is 2", you've just removed half of that. Now you also have a softer spring that wants to compress even more with only 1" of travel available. That means you will have a nice ride on relatively even/smooth surfaces, but will be much more prone to bottoming out your suspension.

The best way to lower a car is with coilovers that allow you to run stiffer springs with dampers that are tuned for that specific application. This means you can get away with less suspension travel but also keep a pretty nice, sometimes better, ride.

11. FlyNavy01

FlyNavy01 Member

I was referring to suspension travel not fender gap. All lowering springs do is alter the suspension geometry by reducing how far it can compress before hitting the rubber bump stops, which can be quite jarring and put a lot of stress on the frame of the vehicle. This is what the civics and "ricers" often do because it's easy and cheap, which someone above was incorrectly referring to.

Adjustable coilovers allow you to adjust ride height while still maintaining the same range of suspension travel (or sometimes more if the fender clearance allows, such as with MPP coilovers). In many higher end coilovers, you can have both adjustable rebound and dampening control. In the instance of Mountain Pass, their adjustment range actually goes from more comfortable than OEM, to near race car level stiffness. You won't find many lowering springs on high end performance cars, or at least not with anyone who is looking for actual performance increase.

• Like x 1
  12. P3D_Denver

P3D_Denver Member

so i’m not looking for any performance at all, i just want the asthetics of lowering springs...but i don’t want to compromise the fantastic ride of my P3D+ nor do i want to damage/hurt my car. my understanding from T sport was I’m the perfect candidate for their non-aggressive lowering springs. your reply is concerning me.

13. kbecks13

kbecks13 Active Member

If you want to do it right, get the comfort coilovers for P3D and that would be best. If you aren't driving aggressively, you will likely be fine with just getting the lowering springs. It's mainly on track or during sporty driving that you would experience the ill effects (hitting bumpstops) and when hitting a speed bump or something like that.

• Like x 1
  14. FlyNavy01

FlyNavy01 Member

#14 FlyNavy01, Dec 14, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 14, 2018
    What @kbecks13 said is correct. Lowering springs are fine for the majority of normal driving if you're just looking for aesthetics to remove the large fender gap, that's essentially exactly why they exist. It only becomes an issue when people buy them thinking they're improving their car's handling and can go to the track or drive through a ton of rough roads with them. From what you said, it sounds like you made the right choice for your needs.

15. P3D_Denver

P3D_Denver Member

ok thank you for your honest answer!

16. macgeng

macgeng Member

I really love the ride quality of the stock setup. Could you adjust the coilover dampers to get the ride quality to be close to stock with 1/2" drop? Coilover sounds fun.

17. SD_Engnr

SD_Engnr Active Member

From what I've read, the MPP coilovers are able to be adjusted to be softer than stock.

18. macgeng

macgeng Member

Coilovers for the P3D+ from both Unplugged and Mountain Pass are not even available yet.

19. macgeng

macgeng Member

Any P3D+ owners got their UP lowering springs yet?

20. kbecks13

kbecks13 Active Member

Nope, but i got the coilovers and they're great!