Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

P3D+ Lowering with Unplugged Mild or TSportline Recommendation

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Would love to get feedback from P3D+ owners with either Unplugged Performance Mild or TSportline 1" lowering springs installed compared with their stock springs. Pics too, please. Thank you!

i pre-ordered T Sport P3D+ lowering springs in Aug and Im being told January delivery - it keeps getting pushed. I can’t imagine many people being ahead of me, so as soon as I get them installed I’ll let ya know!

Reactions: macgeng
I'd recommend getting the coilovers and doing it right ;) Just joking, the lowering springs are still a great option especially for the price and man does it look good!

upload_2018-12-12_20-9-48.png

Source: Coilover Suspension Kit For Tesla Model 3 by Unplugged Performance

depends on how low you go, the T sports are only 1” on the P3D that already has a ton of wheel gap

But say your suspension travel is 2", you've just removed half of that. Now you also have a softer spring that wants to compress even more with only 1" of travel available. That means you will have a nice ride on relatively even/smooth surfaces, but will be much more prone to bottoming out your suspension.

The best way to lower a car is with coilovers that allow you to run stiffer springs with dampers that are tuned for that specific application. This means you can get away with less suspension travel but also keep a pretty nice, sometimes better, ride.

depends on how low you go, the T sports are only 1” on the P3D that already has a ton of wheel gap
I was referring to suspension travel not fender gap. All lowering springs do is alter the suspension geometry by reducing how far it can compress before hitting the rubber bump stops, which can be quite jarring and put a lot of stress on the frame of the vehicle. This is what the civics and "ricers" often do because it's easy and cheap, which someone above was incorrectly referring to.

Adjustable coilovers allow you to adjust ride height while still maintaining the same range of suspension travel (or sometimes more if the fender clearance allows, such as with MPP coilovers). In many higher end coilovers, you can have both adjustable rebound and dampening control. In the instance of Mountain Pass, their adjustment range actually goes from more comfortable than OEM, to near race car level stiffness. You won't find many lowering springs on high end performance cars, or at least not with anyone who is looking for actual performance increase.

Reactions: kbecks13
I was referring to suspension travel not fender gap. All lowering springs do is alter the suspension geometry by reducing how far it can compress before hitting the rubber bump stops, which can be quite jarring and put a lot of stress on the frame of the vehicle. This is what the civics and "ricers" often do because it's easy and cheap, which someone above was incorrectly referring to.

Adjustable coilovers allow you to adjust ride height while still maintaining the same range of suspension travel (or sometimes more if the fender clearance allows, such as with MPP coilovers). In many higher end coilovers, you can have both adjustable rebound and dampening control. In the instance of Mountain Pass, their adjustment range actually goes from more comfortable than OEM, to near race car level stiffness. You won't find many lowering springs on high end performance cars, or at least not with anyone who is looking for actual performance increase.

so i’m not looking for any performance at all, i just want the asthetics of lowering springs...but i don’t want to compromise the fantastic ride of my P3D+ nor do i want to damage/hurt my car. my understanding from T sport was I’m the perfect candidate for their non-aggressive lowering springs. your reply is concerning me.

so i’m not looking for any performance at all, i just want the asthetics of lowering springs...but i don’t want to compromise the fantastic ride of my P3D+ nor do i want to damage/hurt my car. my understanding from T sport was I’m the perfect candidate for their non-aggressive lowering springs. your reply is concerning me.

If you want to do it right, get the comfort coilovers for P3D and that would be best. If you aren't driving aggressively, you will likely be fine with just getting the lowering springs. It's mainly on track or during sporty driving that you would experience the ill effects (hitting bumpstops) and when hitting a speed bump or something like that.

Reactions: FlyNavy01
What @kbecks13 said is correct. Lowering springs are fine for the majority of normal driving if you're just looking for aesthetics to remove the large fender gap, that's essentially exactly why they exist. It only becomes an issue when people buy them thinking they're improving their car's handling and can go to the track or drive through a ton of rough roads with them. From what you said, it sounds like you made the right choice for your needs.

Last edited:
What @kbecks13 said is correct. Lowering springs are fine for the majority of normal driving if you're just looking for aesthetics to remove the large fender gap, that's essentially exactly why they exist. It only becomes an issue when people buy them thinking they're improving their car's handling and can go to the track or drive through a ton of rough roads with them. From what you said, it sounds like you made the right choice for your needs.
ok thank you for your honest answer!