Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

P3D+ misc info and pics- wheel weight, calipers, suspension

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

SD_Engnr

Mar 24, 2016
San Diego
Well, that was awkward... I went to install my 19" aftermarket wheels (Wedssport SA-67R w/Michelin PSS) that were collecting dust in the garage, and I ran into a bit of a problem with them not fitting. Model 3 wheel studs are 14mm, but my Infiniti are 12mm. It turns out that the mounting holes of the wheels were not meant for larger than 12mm. Doh! I should have looked into this ahead of time! I really wanted to run this set up as I love the look, and they're a minimum of 8 lbs lighter. Anyway, on to the info I gathered and some pictures I took.

Wheel studs: M14x1.5
20x8.5 w/tire weight: 52.5 lbs
Rear rotor thickness: 20mm (.787")
Front rotor thickness: 25mm (.985")
Rear half shaft thickness: 25mm (.985")
Front half shaft thickness: 25mm (.985")
Hub ring: 64.1mm (2.523")
These were gathered with a caliper that measured in imperial units.

Did not get rotor diameter...

Attached are photos because why not?
20180811_172800.jpg

20180811_172815.jpg
AH, so that's how they made the front half shafts fit through the strut:
20180811_172909.jpg
20180811_172825.jpg
Not a whole lot of room here:
20180811_173914.jpg
Random:
20180811_173227.jpg
20180811_164758.jpg

20180811_164652.jpg
20180811_164638.jpg

20180811_164709.jpg

I've been waiting for a thread like this! Can you do the community a huge favor and see if there is any difference with the overall suspension design vs the standard cars? BMW M series cars have significantly different setups. I'm going to be a little disappointed if only the springs are different.

The weight zip tied to the control arm is probably some sort of harmonic damper. My Lotus likes to dynamically lighten itself (a nice way of saying parts like to fall off) so I've been slowly replacing fasteners through the years and loctiting them. Any car that sees regular track use could probably benefit from that...

I've been waiting for a thread like this! Can you do the community a huge favor and see if there is any difference with the overall suspension design vs the standard cars? BMW M series cars have significantly different setups. I'm going to be a little disappointed if only the springs are different.

The weight zip tied to the control arm is probably some sort of harmonic damper. My Lotus likes to dynamically lighten itself (a nice way of saying parts like to fall off) so I've been slowly replacing fasteners through the years and loctiting them. Any car that sees regular track use could probably benefit from that...

I can take more photos, but as far as I can tell, there's little change in the suspension setup. Of course, to qualify that statement, I'd need a RWD 3 to inspect/measure against.

As I said above, if there's a specific request, I'll take more pictures.

Can you not have the stud holes on the wheels drilled to 14mm? I'm not a mechanic, have no idea if the consensus is that's unsafe.

I plan to explore this option, just need to find a reputable place to do it.

A good machine shop can drill the holes from 12mm to 14mm very easily. Are your Infiniti wheels hub centric @ 64.1mm?

Reactions: SD_Engnr
As I said above, if there's a specific request, I'll take more pictures.

If you are able to get it, the rotor diameter, and the radius from the center of the hub to the outermost point on the brake calipers front and rear would be helpful. I’ve ordered the performance package with the 20” wheels as well but I’m interested to know whether certain 19” wheels will clear the brakes.

Thanks for taking the time to post this information for everyone.