Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

P3D+ misc info and pics- wheel weight, calipers, suspension

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
@devildogDMD are you able to measure the clearance between the caliper and barrel of the wheel?
If it's about a 1/4" (6mm) or more, it will be a good option for those of us looking for a winter setup and can't wait for the tsportsline wheels to go back in stock.
More than 6 for sure.

Attachments

• IMG_20181009_174951.jpg
    IMG_20181009_174951.jpg
    307 KB · Views: 154
  • IMG_20181009_174840.jpg
    IMG_20181009_174840.jpg
    434.3 KB · Views: 142
  • IMG_20181009_172542.jpg
    IMG_20181009_172542.jpg
    207.7 KB · Views: 131
  • IMG_20181009_172552.jpg
    IMG_20181009_172552.jpg
    242.9 KB · Views: 133
Why 6 as the minimum?

Brembo actually specs an all-round clearance of 3mm or more.

As these are for winter use, I'm not sure if snow and ice build up in the barrel should be a concern, especially if there's gravel or sand bits in the snow. Don't want to damage the wheel or calipers if anything gets jammed between the two so I thought some extra clearance would be good.

If that is something I should or shouldn't be concerned with, I would like to know!

Looking through the newly published parts catalog https://epc.teslamotors.com/#/catalogs
I noticed that the (front) BRAKE PAD KIT(s) for the listed BASE and “SPORT” share the same part number 8008242-00-A ...but the caliper PN’s are different between those models listed. Are the PUP (PUO) brake pads the same as the standard brake pads? Or is the recently released to public parts catalog out of date already? Or were the front brake pads always the same size as the standard Model 3’s

Attachments

• 27291393-7EF9-49C7-A950-E89ED398D452.jpeg
    27291393-7EF9-49C7-A950-E89ED398D452.jpeg
    307.5 KB · Views: 113
Did you ever get your wheel machined for the M14 wheel studs? how much did it cost you? thanks
I did. $100 bucks at Wheel Outifttters in Tampa, FL.

They use a CNC to machine, then they pound in some steel inserts to achieve the 60 degree angle for fitting most aftermarket acorn lug nuts.

MountainPass Performance also redrilled their ADVAN wheels and have no issues running it on the track.

Not every wheel repair shop has the capability to redrill wheels. You have to call around. Much of the time a wheel repair shop will refer you to one than is capable of doing the job.

Reactions: SD_Engnr
I had something stuck between my rotor and rotor shield last night so I used it as an excuse to further inspect the brakes today. I weighed the front rotor at 19.4lbs.

I'm curious to see what the MPP P3D+ rotor upgrade weighs. I certainly don't need upgraded rotors currently, but they do look cool (no pun intended), and potentially saving a few more pounds of unsprung weight would still be nice even for street use.

IMG_6182.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: SD_Engnr
Brembo actually specs an all-round clearance of 3mm or more.

As these are for winter use, I'm not sure if snow and ice build up in the barrel should be a concern, especially if there's gravel or sand bits in the snow. Don't want to damage the wheel or calipers if anything gets jammed between the two so I thought some extra clearance would be good.

If that is something I should or shouldn't be concerned with, I would like to know!

I wonder if that's the the caliper itself or to those little rectangular cast points. My winter setup is definitely <3mm to the corner of two of those little squares that stick out of the caliper, but clears everywhere else no problem

I had something stuck between my rotor and rotor shield last night so I used it as an excuse to further inspect the brakes today. I weighed the front rotor at 19.4lbs.

I'm curious to see what the MPP P3D+ rotor upgrade weighs. I certainly don't need upgraded rotors currently, but they do look cool (no pun intended), and potentially saving a few more pounds of unsprung weight would still be nice even for street use.

I wonder if @MountainPass can chime in with the weight?
I also don't need this upgrade, but I certainly want it!

I wonder if @MountainPass can chime in with the weight?
I also don't need this upgrade, but I certainly want it!

Yes those rotors are way cool but they are also way expensive at over $900. They'd have to be seriously light to be worth that much. On the upside unless you're racing the car they should last a really long time. The other issue for me is that they would need to produce a complementary pair for the rear just to keep the Aesthetics balanced

Last edited: