Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

P3D on 18 x 9.5" APEX EC-7 Wheels & 275mm Tires

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I purchased a Performance Model 3 with the intent of tracking the car. In fact, my first track day is coming up in a few weeks. I knew my initial modification would be wheels and tires, so I reached out to the fine folks at APEX Race Parts, who have previously helped me with wheels for my BMW M3's.

After some consulting, we determined the 18x9.5" ET35 APEX EC-7 Mustang Wheel with Hubcentric Rings should fit the car. Fortunately, the wheels have the same bolt pattern as the Model 3. They were promptly shipped and delivered to me a few days later. Unfortunately, finding and receiving correctly sized Hubcentric rings took longer than I thought, but I did eventually receive them (from WalMart, of all places).

As far as tires go, I decided on the 275/40ZR-18 Nexen N FERA SUR4G as the overall tire diameter is very close to the stock 20" wheels and tires, and they would provide considerably more grip.

Initial mock-up of just the wheel showed that they easily cleared the calipers and did not rub or touch any suspension parts.

Next, I got them mounted and balanced and upon initial fitment found the tire ever so slightly rubbed the front knuckle on the inner edge. Fortunately, this was easily corrected with 3mm spacers (which are basically required due to the rotor design anyway).

Not only does the car look fantastic, but the handling benefits over the stock setup will be immense. Additionally, even with the considerable increase in tire width the setup weighs no more than stock (wheels are only 21.5lbs, tires are 31lbs). I weighed the stock 20" wheels with 235mm tires at 52lbs.

In my past experience, a square tire and wheel setup has always been superior to that of a staggered one, and after listening to comments from MPP I definitely think this will be a great setup. I ran 275's on my GTS BMW M3 and found that size to work very well for a car with less power and less weight.

Enough talk, onto the pictures. You can see the hubcentric ring and spacer setup I used for that perfect fit, as well as the clearance for the front knuckle! Keep an eye out as I will have many more track-oriented modifications to come.

Wheels: 18x9.5
Tires: https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Nexen&tireModel=N+FERA+SUR4G&partnum=74YR8SUR4G
Hub Rings: https://www.walmart.com/ip/A-set-of...c-ring-size-ID-64-1-mm-x-OD-70-4-mm/204496480
Spacers: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00KTPDKJY/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02__o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Attachments

• 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 2,974
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 1,265
  • 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    741.9 KB · Views: 1,223
  • 8.jpg
    8.jpg
    642.9 KB · Views: 1,224
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 1,238
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 1,216
  • 7.jpg
    7.jpg
    832.1 KB · Views: 1,226
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 1,171
  • 7.jpg
    7.jpg
    832.1 KB · Views: 1,218
Couple questions as I am about to receive those same wheels.

Do you think 265/40 will fit without the need for spacers?
When you installed the new tires what tire size did you select? Since those are about the same diameter as the 20" did you select 20"?

Good questions! I do believe 265/40/18 will fit without the need for any spacers.

I currently have the configuration set to 20" as they are approximately the same overall diameter.

I purchased a Performance Model 3 with the intent of tracking the car. In fact, my first track day is coming up in a few weeks. I knew my initial modification would be wheels and tires, so I reached out to the fine folks at APEX Race Parts, who have previously helped me with wheels for my BMW M3's.

After some consulting, we determined the 18x9.5" ET35 APEX EC-7 Mustang Wheel with Hubcentric Rings should fit the car. Fortunately, the wheels have the same bolt pattern as the Model 3. They were promptly shipped and delivered to me a few days later. Unfortunately, finding and receiving correctly sized Hubcentric rings took longer than I thought, but I did eventually receive them (from WalMart, of all places).

As far as tires go, I decided on the 275/40ZR-18 Nexen N FERA SUR4G as the overall tire diameter is very close to the stock 20" wheels and tires, and they would provide considerably more grip.

Initial mock-up of just the wheel showed that they easily cleared the calipers and did not rub or touch any suspension parts.

Next, I got them mounted and balanced and upon initial fitment found the tire ever so slightly rubbed the front knuckle on the inner edge. Fortunately, this was easily corrected with 3mm spacers (which are basically required due to the rotor design anyway).

Not only does the car look fantastic, but the handling benefits over the stock setup will be immense. Additionally, even with the considerable increase in tire width the setup weighs no more than stock (wheels are only 21.5lbs, tires are 31lbs). I weighed the stock 20" wheels with 235mm tires at 52lbs.

In my past experience, a square tire and wheel setup has always been superior to that of a staggered one, and after listening to comments from MPP I definitely think this will be a great setup. I ran 275's on my GTS BMW M3 and found that size to work very well for a car with less power and less weight.

Enough talk, onto the pictures. You can see the hubcentric ring and spacer setup I used for that perfect fit, as well as the clearance for the front knuckle! Keep an eye out as I will have many more track-oriented modifications to come.

Wheels: 18x9.5
Tires: https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Nexen&tireModel=N+FERA+SUR4G&partnum=74YR8SUR4G
Hub Rings: https://www.walmart.com/ip/A-set-of...c-ring-size-ID-64-1-mm-x-OD-70-4-mm/204496480
Spacers: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00KTPDKJY/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02__o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

This is awesome!! Congrats and thanks for posting. I am hoping to be a proud owner of a model 3 soon. Having ran APEX wheels on my E36 M3 id love to go this route.

Cars looks great!!

This is awesome!! Congrats and thanks for posting. I am hoping to be a proud owner of a model 3 soon. Having ran APEX wheels on my E36 M3 id love to go this route.
Cars looks great!!

As a previous owner of an E36 M3 myself, I think you will find the Model 3 to be lot of fun. APEX makes great wheels and I've had them on numerous BMW's before. Hope to have you in the family soon!

Great info! I expected the performance model to have less wheel gap. The total blackout looks good though!

Stock there is a fair amount of wheel gap, check my build thread, that is being fixed!