Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

P3D Owner Sit-in?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I didn't get what I paid for if we want to be technical and if it really came to it that would be a proper legal argument. I paid 5k for the package and did not receive the package, Tesla did not own up to their end of the deal. I'd have decent luck pursuing a breach of sales contract and getting the 5k back that way.
If you feel that way great. Many of us don't. If they can make the package free just 2 months after release that makes me feel taken advantage of. Just a cash grab that they have since decided didn't make sense. If Tesla wants to sour a big chunk of their biggest fans/early adopters then they can tell us to piss off. That isn't a good strategy IMO.
Edit, and regardless of how you feel about this there is undoubtedly a number that would piss you off personally. What if AWD buyers received performance cars for the same price starting tomorrow? You got what you paid for right?

Don't want to get into a battle with you...have been screwed over many times by large corporations and their pricing policies.

In this particular case, we signed off on contracts well ahead of time. There was an itemized bill listing exactly what we were paying for. You can still access it on your MyTesla.

You are angry at Tesla because of their relentless innovation. This is not the first time people have been pissed at Tesla about what started selling the day after they took delivery. Yet would you be happier if Tesla announced a model year and produced the exact same car for the next three years like the legacy car makers? My guess is they would not be around anymore.

Not sure what you mean by not receiving what you paid for as far as the package is concerned. Did they not deliver the car they promised you?

Hi,

I think I might have great news for you. PA changed their guidelines on Aug 31, 2018 for the rebate:
https://www.dep.pa.gov/citizens/gra...ve-grant/pages/alternative-fuel-vehicles.aspx

The new amount seems to be $60K. Take note of the income guidelines though. Your income needs to be under 200% of poverty guidelines. I am not sure if that is adjusted income though.

If I am correct, I recommend you enjoy your super cool longer range, white interior, sporty wheel version and live the EM attending dream.

If this does work out, I will require a thank you though.

• Informative
Reactions: StellarRat
I'm confused.

You want us to show up with our cars, and block entrances as a form of protest. But, you also want us to respect those whose opinions are different from ours.

How is blocking an entrance being respectful to a new owner?

Tesla/Elon could have easily prevented most of the blowback by simply waiting till the end of the year to make the change. Or they could have just ripped the band-aid off. Instead they it in a very non-assertive way where we still don't have any conclusion to it. I can certainly understand wanting closure to it. But, I don't think a sit-in is the right approach.

I'm fully supportive of a non-aggressive means of making sure this isn't forgotten about.

Whatever you choose you gotta have Fred's backing. If you don't know the Fred story then you don't know this story at all.

Umm. No. This is more like McDonald's randomly putting dogsh*t in their Big Mac burgers and asking anyone whose ordered a Big Mac if they are tired of eating dogsh*t.

I'm glad you got what you paid for. Not all of us did.
Several months after I bought my Model X, Tesla started including at no extra cost features that were options when I bought my car. I was not upset. I applauded Tesla for offering an improved product at the same price!

Your attitude is irrational, and your language hyperbolic and inflammatory.

And now I see you have started another thread complaining about the way you have been treated.

Don't want to get into a battle with you...have been screwed over many times by large corporations and their pricing policies.

In this particular case, we signed off on contracts well ahead of time. There was an itemized bill listing exactly what we were paying for. You can still access it on your MyTesla.

You are angry at Tesla because of their relentless innovation. This is not the first time people have been pissed at Tesla about what started selling the day after they took delivery. Yet would you be happier if Tesla announced a model year and produced the exact same car for the next three years like the legacy car makers? My guess is they would not be around anymore.

Not sure what you mean by not receiving what you paid for as far as the package is concerned. Did they not deliver the car they promised you?
Correct. I purchased the PUP package, wheels, brakes, spoiler, suspension. Spoiler was not installed at delivery and nobody even mentioned it. I had to call back and ask, wondering if I received the wrong car or something. 3 months later I still don't have it. No ETA, zero communication, and now people are getting that entire package for free. That just doesn't feel right. I will also bet money that new cars are shipped with the spoiler before I get mine. I've given Tesla plenty of leeway because I am a big fan. I reserved in the first week, ordered P model as soon as I could, proselytize the brand (and own plenty of shares) and showed up to help out with deliveries. You can't have it both ways. Either Tesla is an innovative brand that cares for their customers, or they aren't and they are the same as everybody else.

and no, I'm not angry at Tesla because of innovation. This wasn't some new software feature that I don't get. This is a physical set of items, items that are no different in price to Tesla than they were 3 months ago. This isn't a computer chip that is now half the price and can be sold for cheaper.

Everybody has a price where they would be upset about a sudden change. The difference is what that price is. For some it might be 10k, for me, 5k for an upgrade package is right there.
Several months after I bought my Model X, Tesla started including at no extra cost features that were options when I bought my car. I was not upset. I applauded Tesla for offering an improved product at the same price!
Details matter. Was it 5k worth of options? Did those changes happen 2 months after product launch? If this is were 2019 and this happened very few people would be upset.

Welcome to Tesla ownership.

I'm very sorry this happened to you. If I were you I'd cancel my order and walk away. I've had similar problems and the experience will never get any better. Maybe in a couple more years Tesla will have their act together.
Most have not had that experience and most have had great luck post delivery as well.

I've read Fred's story.

Clearly my idea isn't a good one (or at least isn't received as such). So what do you suggest? What should our next move be?

Step 1 - Accept Tesla owes you/us nothing. Unless it was in the MVPA, you have no claims.

Step 2 - Lead an official movement or throw your support behind someone else who can be more influential.

Step 3 - Start email lists, facebook groups, gather everyone who feels aggrieved and would support your cause.

Step 4 - Give Tesla time to figure out their response. Q4 where people are going bat *sugar* crazy to get their cars is not a good time to force the issue.

Step 5 - Ask Tesla nicely for a response some time in 2019. Hope it is a generous one.

Step 6 - Whatever the response is, accept it. They owe you/us nothing.

Step 7 - Vote with your wallets going forward. If the net net experience is not worth it to you, buy another car. The bad experience isn’t going to last forever. If the anguish is too much, cut your losses now and move on to another car.

Your neighbor will have a better and cheaper than Tesla than you. That’s right up there with death and taxes for universal constants.

Last edited:

Your attitude is irrational, and your language hyperbolic and inflammatory. You got an incredible car, but you are so aggrieved over a non-issue that you can’t enjoy it anymore.
Not enjoying mine! I don't think everyone is on your same wavelength although I assume many people agree with you.

Several months? Mine is still having delivery issues taken care of it's not even in my driveway. Also I waited a LONG time for it. I learned allot of lessons though.

1) Put down cash for reservation, didn't get the car sooner than people without a reservation. (never reserve a tesla)
2) Put down deposit in June, teslas sold my car to someone else and cancelled my delivery then finally tried to give me a car with lots of paint issues and door dings that I had to reject, then for my second car they pawned off someone else's reject car on me promising they will fix the issues (I hope they do, I really really hope it comes back without issues!). Don't trust tesla.
3) Never trust Elon's tweets either.
4) Tesla has no intention to treat it's customers fairly. Rewarding early PUP buyers and nothing for non PUP isn't what I call fair treatment, but it goes beyond this. I feel like a statistic, I'm just one of them P3D- people will be upset but we can afford to piss off some people as long as we make more customers than we lose kind of mentality. I know it's a business decision but I don't have to be happy about it.

So now I'm sitting here without my P3D- that I paid P3D+ prices for driving around an old RWD-S loaner (Hey at least I got a tesla loaner). Still, a big difference between several months and a few days, also a big difference in that this punishes all the people with reservations and the line waiters who waited patiently for years and didn't get their cars any sooner.

Now they don't owe me anything, but I think tesla certainly owes something to the P3D- owners that took delivery after the price change who were incorrectly told (or even assumed) they would get $5k back from Musk's tweet. It would be nice if they kicked something my way since technically or at least IMO delivery isn't complete until the due bill is met, although legally the car was delivered and I signed the papers even though it's not currently in front of me. I expect nothing but I'm certainly not happy about this. I feel a bit conned from the beginning of the entire process.

• Funny
Reactions: Perry and outdoors
This thread grew quickly.

OK decision tree time:

1) Did you buy a P3D- or P3D+ ? (Yes - 2. No - Get outta here!)
2) Do you want to keep your car as it is, and your free lifetime SC? (Yes - 6. No - 3)
3) Is your car a P3D+ ? (Yes - 5. No 4)
4) Call your Tesla rep and ask them to clarify the situation. If thousands of people call, they'll likely clarify
5) Await your $5,000 refund in exchange for free Super Charging, don't panic, you'll likely get it in 2019. Don't call us, we'll call you ;)
6) Congratulations on being happy with what you originally bought and the terms and conditions you agreed to when you bought it. It's so nice to be content isn't it?

Correct. I purchased the PUP package, wheels, brakes, spoiler, suspension. Spoiler was not installed at delivery and nobody even mentioned it. I had to call back and ask, wondering if I received the wrong car or something. 3 months later I still don't have it. No ETA, zero communication, and now people are getting that entire package for free. That just doesn't feel right. I will also bet money that new cars are shipped with the spoiler before I get mine. I've given Tesla plenty of leeway because I am a big fan. I reserved in the first week, ordered P model as soon as I could, proselytize the brand (and own plenty of shares) and showed up to help out with deliveries. You can't have it both ways. Either Tesla is an innovative brand that cares for their customers, or they aren't and they are the same as everybody else.

and no, I'm not angry at Tesla because of innovation. This wasn't some new software feature that I don't get. This is a physical set of items, items that are no different in price to Tesla than they were 3 months ago. This isn't a computer chip that is now half the price and can be sold for cheaper.

Everybody has a price where they would be upset about a sudden change. The difference is what that price is. For some it might be 10k, for me, 5k for an upgrade package is right there.

Details matter. Was it 5k worth of options? Did those changes happen 2 months after product launch? If this is were 2019 and this happened very few people would be upset.

Obviously you should get the spoiler ASAP. Tesla is in the wrong there.

Tesla's innovations have more to do with their relentless pursuit of the best product. Selling the best product is the most probable path to a speedy and efficient electrification of the global fleet. This is their mission. As for customer care... well they are trying. But I disagree that a failure in this department makes them the same as everybody else.

As far as the rest...let us agree to continue to disagree.

BTW, don't you have an amazing car? Swear it is the best damn thing...puts my wife's Sig X PDL to shame as well.

• Love
Reactions: P85_DA
Obviously you should get the spoiler ASAP. Tesla is in the wrong there.

Tesla's innovations have more to do with their relentless pursuit of the best product. Selling the best product is the most probable path to a speedy and efficient electrification of the global fleet. This is their mission. As for customer care... well they are trying. But I disagree that a failure in this department makes them the same as everybody else.

As far as the rest...let us agree to continue to disagree.

BTW, don't you have an amazing car? Swear it is the best damn thing...puts my wife's Sig X PDL to shame as well.
Don't forget they were selling people's reserved cars to other non Reservation people in Fremont. Now back then I could look the other way in understanding of them needing to be profitable, so long as I got my car it would simply be a delay. Now I'm less happy about a forced PUP donation, and even less happy about my original car being sold, then getting pawned off reject cars for it's replacement.

No to mention my friend never got his referral.

• Funny
Reactions: outdoors
I don't know what you guys have no sympathy for P3D stealth owners. Yes we agree to pay 64k but we got ******.
Elon Musk said "Don’t worry, we’ll make it right" so far I don't feel that way. They are not giving us any options. Sure it doesn't makes sense to give us $5000 back but at least attempt to update our cars to PUP or give us EAP, FSD or something in exchange of supercharing.

The car was sold to us a performance model and so far no track mode either.

I hope nobody will do what OP suggest. Once you agree on the price and thats the price you were charged, then what is a problem? Sure it is cheaper now, tough luck.
The problem is giving 5k refunds to P3D+ and nothing to P3D-. Everyone ends up paying the same price while P3D- gets non of the benefits, just a pat on the back for their donation.

I hope nobody will do what OP suggest. Once you agree on the price and thats the price you were charged, then what is a problem? Sure it is cheaper now, tough luck.

Why people keep posting the same crap...

No one is complaining that the car is cheaper is that Elon Musk said that 3P owners will get money back ......he never said only people with PUP.

No it isn't. Comparing a 2 month old car to a TV is ridiculous. Total apples and oranges. There isn't any scenario where you can buy a brand new car at half price because the new model is out. That does happen with consumer electronics.

I do agree that they don't explicitly owe anything, it's a goodwill gesture. Although I could certainly make an argument that the original PUP price I agreed on is invalid because I didn't receive the full package at delivery. My contract says $5k for PUP, I paid 5k but did not receive the package.
So you bought PUP, but didn't notice the car didn't have big 'ol tires and red brake calipers? Why did you take delivery?

• Funny
Reactions: hoang51 and P85_DA