Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

P3D+ owners.. how often do you mash the pedal at stoplights?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
7CF1A2A6-C59E-4ADA-BBC6-0E4835320873.jpeg
Funny you should mention that. I found a Corvette on my way home tonight.

Om nom nom :D:D:D

I seem to have the same problem with my car...

What do you mean 'pole position?

I think about this all the time! I'm doing my part and do a lil advertising by showing how quick Tesla's are (safely lol)

Pole position = first in line...racing term. I also live in the midwest. I don't see many Teslas, and the ones I do see don't seem to "punch it" as often as I do (every opportunity I get). I also don't understand people buying the Performance and then running around in Chill mode most of the time. Showing my tail lights to everyone at a stop light has to be the best advertising for Tesla they can get... :cool:

View attachment 421156

I seem to have the same problem with my car...

I JUST got the wheels and tires put on my "Stealth" yesterday, so I wanted to see the difference.

So far, I've found it feels slightly faster (haven't measured yet), since my new setup saves 16 lbs of unsprung weight (forged 19s, Michelin Pilot 4S's, and new front rotors).

Downside: the 4S's are not "low rolling resistance", nor do they have the sound deadening foam. So there's more of a hum to them now, and my range is down ~10%, because I have to feather the go pedal a little more coasting to a stop, since the tires slow me down quicker than the Primacies did.

"you gotta pay to play", I guess.

All the time when I'm alone or with my kids (they love the acceleration) and the road ahead looks clear. Not so much with my husband who hates the acceleration. I wish I knew how a launch feels from the passenger seat ...

Apparently "nauseating" according to my wife. I'm not allowed to punch it when she's in the car either.

My wife still chuckles when I floor it off stoplights. She never gets tired of it. Surprisingly, she's not jealous of my P3D vs. her LR RWD.

I thought she might get protective of her car but she even enjoys it when I thrash her baby off the line. If it were a manual shift fossil powered car and I was revving the engine and dropping the clutch, no, she would not be a happy camper! Because she knows it would need shop time sooner rather than later. Clutches, oil and filter changes, etc. Launching a fossil car hard puts clutch pack abrasives in the oil and filter, increases engine temperature and wear of hundreds of parts, wears out rings, cylinders, valve guides, etc. etc. faster with the higher rpms (I could go on and on here). An electric car? No worries! Maybe the sealed bearings only last 750,000 miles instead of 1,000,000 miles.:cool:

My wife still chuckles when I floor it off stoplights. She never gets tired of it. Surprisingly, she's not jealous of my P3D vs. her LR RWD.

I thought she might get protective of her car but she even enjoys it when I thrash her baby off the line. If it were a manual shift fossil powered car and I was revving the engine and dropping the clutch, no, she would not be a happy camper! Because she knows it would need shop time sooner rather than later. Clutches, oil and filter changes, etc. Launching a fossil car hard puts clutch pack abrasives in the oil and filter, increases engine temperature and wear of hundreds of parts, wears out rings, cylinders, valve guides, etc. etc. faster with the higher rpms (I could go on and on here). An electric car? No worries! Maybe the sealed bearings only last 750,000 miles instead of 1,000,000 miles.:cool:

This. With ICE cars it's a binary choice between a practical, low cost of ownership, reliable, BORING car [Civic, Prius] or an impractical, high cost of ownership, high maintenance, gas guzzling, FUN car [BMW M3, Mustang GT350]. As a practical and fiscally conservative person with a 70+ mile daily (round trip) commute I would probably have ended up "practical" and hated my car. Instead, I get to have the BEST OF ALL WORLDS with the P3D. Fast. Furious. Reliable [so far, so good]. "Fuel" sipping. #Awesome

NO guilt when I punch it in the P3D. Would always have in the back of my mind "This is not good for the car...when is it going to blow up?"
if I were driving a GT350 or M3 everyday.

Edited to say: The only things I kind of maybe miss on occasion are rowing my own gears and the growl/howl/scream of a high RPM engine. The flat plane crank V8 in the GT350 sounds awesome. In no way makes up for all the deficiencies of the ICE though. No Regrets.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: StealthP3D
I mash the pedal when giving test drives or 'luring' unsuspecting ICE vehicles into a bit of competition off a stop light by edging them a bit and then allowing them to catch up some. For some reason, I get a thrill out of hearing them thrash their car in an attempt to get past my silent combustionless transport. I then mash the pedal for a bit trying not to exceed the speed limit by too much. When I back off often the ICE vehicle blows by me. Sometimes I get a thumbs up. Way too much fun!

As the title says, I'm curious to what P3D+ or other Model 3 Variant owners do. I don't do it all the time, but I'd say maybe 7/10 times if I get the chance lol. I match to the speed limit (of course)

Just want to see what other owners are doing because sometimes I feel obnoxious/'assholey' about doing it. Don't want to be 'that' driver but it's just so damn fun!

Having now owned my Model 3 for over 6 months, I can say the following:
  • The first few weeks or so I had the vehicle, I drove like a complete a**hole.
  • After the initial rush, I calmed down my driving a lot, and try to be a responsible "Tesla Ambassador" if you will, not wanting to give our community a bad rep, and hoping to make others curious about buying one.
  • Yes, I do still sometimes launch the car when the light turns green, it's just so damn fun.
  • This car actually makes me enjoy getting stopped at a red light.
  • I worry about the future when lots of other electric cars are on the road and everyone starts driving the way I did.

• After the initial rush, I calmed down my driving a lot, and try to be a responsible "Tesla Ambassador" if you will, not wanting to give our community a bad rep, and hoping to make others curious about buying one.
  • Yes, I do still sometimes launch the car when the light turns green, it's just so damn fun.
  • I worry about the future when lots of other electric cars are on the road and everyone starts driving the way I did.

Agreed lol

++

What is the difference between a P3D, a P3D+, and a P3D-?

Not just traffic light launches, this car is a beast just waiting to be unleashed.

Also in the interstate it is very, very easy to to go from "I need to accelerate to pass this truck" to "I need to slow down, 100mph is dangerous" in a blink of an eye. Apparently in my state 26-32 over the posted speed limit is potential jail time and not just a ticket.