TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

P3D+/P3D- Owners: Do You Ever Use Chill Mode?

Discussion in 'Model 3: Driving Dynamics' started by ErinBoBerin, Dec 30, 2019.

?

Do You Use Chill Mode?

1. Yes

13.0%
  2. No

70.2%
  3. Rarely

16.8%
  1. ErinBoBerin

ErinBoBerin Member

I'm curious to know who uses Chill Mode. I've had my P3D+ for a little over 2 weeks and I've only tried Chill Mode once. I know the benefits of it, especially if you're taking a trip, but I just can't see myself using it unless I really need to be cognizant about range. Anyone else feel this way? Seems like a crime to not have power available in these cars at all times.

2. SK360

SK360 Member

Never. Only as a gag to friends when they drive my car for the first time.

• Funny x 7
  3. firebird8302

firebird8302 Member

Heck no.

• Like x 1
  4. destructure00

destructure00 Active Member

If I want chill mode I press lighter with my right foot. Don't need no stinkin mode button :p

• Like x 8
    • Love x 1
  5. mreynolds767

mreynolds767 Member

If it is snowing out or roads are really bad due to snow/ice I will put the car in Chill mode and Regen to Low
    Otherwise only use for Chill is if giving the car to a Valet.

• Like x 2
  6. webbah

webbah Member

I have it enabled under a driver profile I created for “snow”, along with slip-start, etc.

• Like x 1
  7. jjrandorin

jjrandorin Moderator, Model 3, Tesla Energy Forums

Me, no, but my wifes profile for my car has it enabled (by her choice, not mine, before someone jumps on me). She says my car is "too fast", and pedal "too sensitive", without it.

For me, I just press lighter on the pedal when I want to drive slower.

• Like x 1
  8. focher

focher Member

I never do, but I don't drive in snow conditions so I upvoted that usage scenario. We have an X for those times.

Modulating the accelerator pedal does just fine for being "chill" (and winning the recurring mental battle to resist stomping on it).

9. SaloonGoon

SaloonGoon Member

What’s chill mode :rolleyes:

• Like x 2
  10. Mayonayze

Mayonayze Member

8BFC5CF6-AEC3-4926-9F0E-5FFA1DC8D6BB.jpeg

• Funny x 5
    • Like x 2
  11. PACEMD

PACEMD Active Member

I know what you mean, I told my wife to chill just last week. Sorry, gotta go, this cast is really itchy.........

• Funny x 8
    • Like x 1
  12. PACEMD

PACEMD Active Member

No seriously, I have tried Chill mode a number of times when playing with range/efficiency. I don't think it matters/helps unless you can't control your foot. I initially thought it might help when temperatures were below freezing and/or with snow and such, but it doesn't. Why? Because under those conditions the car has its own private chill mode. Meaning power is limited anyway..........you don't got no performance mode nohow.........

13. Nocturnal

Nocturnal Supporting Member

No. Tried once and when merging I underestimated the lack of power. Seems risky to not know what the car will do at any given time.

14. Black306

Black306 Member

Yes, I used chill mode.....for about 10 seconds. Really didn’t like how it made the throttle feel sluggish compared to Sport mode.

15. Bill Price

Bill Price Member

You know the benefits of it? There is no benefit to it. The amount of battery drain while driving is directly proportional to the amount of pressure you put on the go pedal. Therefore, if you drive conservatively, there will be no difference in the battery drain whether you have it in chill mode or ludicrous mode.

• Like x 2
  16. G26okie

G26okie 2020 P3D-

I do it sometimes just to feel how ridiculously slow the car feels with it

17. kev1n

kev1n Active Member

those that voted Yes obviously bought the wrong car

• Funny x 3
  18. CellarRat

CellarRat Member

I don't use it, but my wife does. She's a little scared of the speed of the car in Sport so she keeps it in Chill. Makes me feel better about driving with her too.

• Like x 1
  19. Jenremoved

Jenremoved Member

I know there are a lot of different types of people buying these cars, but my partner and I (both women in our 30s) don’t see why there’s a chill mode. It’s not her primary car, but she loves driving it and appreciates it for how quick it is, which is why I bought the car in the first place.

20. Funkmobile

Funkmobile Member

I voted rarely as I tried it a few times on autopilot to see if it made a difference compared to sport.