Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

P3D+ Range Data

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello,

I took delivery of a P3D+ in August. I have been carefully tracking the state data to understand the range calculations better and I include that here. While I like accelerating and going fast, I am surprised to see such a high wh/mile. I have been driving the car in sport mode. Should I have the SC take a look at this?

Screenshot 2018-10-19 22.46.57.png

Very close to what I’m seeing. Only data point I can see affecting you is the temp. In Dallas it was low 50’s and rain all week. My wh/mi was around 320-360 with heater on. When the weather was sunny and 80 I was seeing 260-280 at 70mph.

I’ve put about 2,500 miles on my P3D+ in the last month, averaging 297 wh/mi. A bit discouraging compared to my old Model S P85+ which averaged only a little higher at 330wh/mi over 50,000 miles in a much heavier car.

Nonetheless your usage does seem unusually high unless it’s very hot/cold/raining and/or you’re doing multiple 0-60 runs ;).

I was going to start a thread about this, but I'll add to yours. I don't have the details you have, but I recently did a road trip from New York City to Akon (and back again( and captured some information which gives me some insight into what I can expect to be typical usage.

I drove quite conservatively, so 68 -72mph generally on the highways. Heading west from NYC is generally elevation gain all the way through Pennsylvania which hits efficiency hard. On the outbound leg I didn't use any internal heat at all - fan was set to 'lo' and no seat heating, as the external temp was 55 - 60 degrees with enough solar heat to keep us comfortable. This is two (European sized) adults and a dog with some luggage.

NYC - Bloomsburg Supercharger

Start Rated Miles: 241
End rated Miles: 46
Actual Miles Traveled: 167
Delta: -28 miles (11.6% loss)
Wr/Mi: 280

Bloomsburg Supercharger - Creek Falls Supercharger

Start Rated Miles: 272
End rated Miles: 101
Actual Miles Traveled: 137.6
Delta: -33.4 miles (12.25% loss)
Wr/Mi: 295

Creek Falls Supercharger - Hermitage Supercharger

Start Rated Miles: 243
End rated Miles: 100
Actual Miles Traveled: 110.1
Delta: -32.9 miles (13.5% loss)
Wr/Mi: 297

The first two legs the speed was almost always under 70mph (generally 65 limit and I set a few mph above that with the occasional burst to get past a truck)

The last leg the speed limit is higher and I general did 72mph, again with an occasional burst to get past a truck. Net elevation gain is several thousand feet.

On the return leg, I didn't monitor the same stats between superchargers, but I managed 455 miles averaging 287 Wr/Mi (so more efficient) but with the heating set to 70 degrees (and later 66 degrees) and seat heating for the passenger. External temp was 35 - 45 degrees during the journey.

averaging the same speeds until I95 in NJ where I started matching Jersey traffic speed (so, ahem, mid/high 70's with short bursts higher than that). Obviously the big difference is a net elevation loss coming back into NYC from Pennsylvania.

I've done over 2,000 miles in this car in a mere two weeks, and my view is that generally this car is going to be between 270 - 300 Wr/Mi with pretty normal highway driving, or have around 10 - 14% less range than stated on the computer.