Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

P3D- range?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

StellarRat

Jan 8, 2014
Pacific
What kind of range are people getting from the performance with 18" wheels and aero covers? I'm thinking about buying a P3D-. I doubt I'll need any better cornering or braking than an LR RWD, but the improved acceleration would be a hoot. From what I've read the P3D+ doesn't get nearly the range of the LR RWD, but I'm assuming the P3D- might be close.

• Love
Reactions: yerEVan
None of the AWD get the same range as RWD, but I believe they are all fairly close to each other. I'm about 5 days shy of 1 year of ownership of a P3D-. My average efficiency is currently 294Wh/mi over ~10k miles, but I usually drive with aero covers off. I found they don't really make a big difference. In the summer it is probably closer to ~250-260, and 340-350 in the Seattle winter. A lot of it depends on how fast you drive, what temperatures\weather, highway or city, and whether there are a lot of hills. I have a short side\city road commute of 7.5 miles that has a bunch of up and down hills, and I find i get worse efficiency on those short drives than I do driving highway speeds of 60-80mph on flat areas (even with aero covers off).

In the summer it is probably closer to ~250-260, and 340-350 in the Seattle winter.

This is very close to my experience. Right now the Stats app is saying I've been over 100% efficiency average for 2 months and about 6k miles, which means my range is actually over 310 right now, but come winter it will be closer to 230 in Wisconsin.

the range shown on the energy graph is much more accurate in my car than on the battery status. I would not feel comfortable trying to go over 250 miles on the interstate on a full charge even though the battery status may show 310.

First, all the Teslas have awesome acceleration. The lowest 3 beats the crap out of most everything else on the road.

Range is truly what you make of it. 60ish and you'll hit the EPA numbers with 18 Aeros, covers on.
20 inch, going 85 won't make the EPA numbers.
Winter drops by 30%.
I've gotten more than 350 miles over long distances on back roads

New Owner.. m3p-. 18" Aeros.
13 days 1,100 mi (1/2 way through our first road trip). So Take what I am saying as naive if need be.

To me, any my uses, there are 2 use cases that matter.

600+ road trip. All highways. AC blasting. Smart cruise set to 5-7mph over the speed limit (60 - 77 mph actual). I used a light foot (still faster than my ICE cars) on acceleration most of the time. for the trip I averaged 240wh/mi. To me, this is where efficiency matters. If you are curious what road trips are like use "a better route planner". Choose Model 3, AWD. and it will give you an accurate trip plan. (it's ok if it says you will arrive at the supercharger at 10%, most of the time I was at 15% when I got there).

But, around town, I will get no where near 240wh/mi. But, with 50a/240v charging at night I charge right back up to 80% and don't worry about range / efficiency as much. This car is a blast to drive.. and every once in a while you are probably going to want to hit the speed limit really quickly. (CT and MA have a lot of really short on ramps for example.) I never travel more than 200mi in a normal day, and I can always top back off for the next day.

I hope that helps.

Reactions: TJ73
Hello all,
Other than on the software sub-screen, where can one find the Odo, Trip A, Trip B and reset? Re the Energy graph, mine only give options for 3 miles, 10 miles or 30 miles. No Trip A, etc. There is a trip "tab" on the energy page, but that doesn't seem to be it either. Looking to figure out my lifetime wh/mi value, reset Trip A, etc. Thanks! :)

Hello all,
Other than on the software sub-screen, where can one find the Odo, Trip A, Trip B and reset? Re the Energy graph, mine only give options for 3 miles, 10 miles or 30 miles. No Trip A, etc. There is a trip "tab" on the energy page, but that doesn't seem to be it either. Looking to figure out my lifetime wh/mi value, reset Trip A, etc. Thanks! :)

Swipe from left to right on the very bottom left of the screen.

• Helpful
Reactions: jebinc
  • Helpful
Reactions: jebinc
But, around town, I will get no where near 240wh/mi. But, with 50a/240v charging at night I charge right back up to 80% and don't worry about range / efficiency as much. This car is a blast to drive.. and every once in a while you are probably going to want to hit the speed limit really quickly. (CT and MA have a lot of really short on ramps for example.) I never travel more than 200mi in a normal day, and I can always top back off for the next day.

Really? That's kind of strange. Around town I'm getting in the low 200's or just under 200 and that's with plenty of stoplight races. Teslas are generally more efficient at lower speeds unlike ICE cars which are big heat-producing inefficient blobs of waste metal. The fact that ICE cars are more efficient when traveling faster really tells you all you need to know about their relative inefficiency :) Vehicles should always be more efficient when moving or accelerating slowly than quickly.