Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

P3D Rear not aligned mystery

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has anyone had their rear subframe adjusted to fix any uneven poke? this is a continued search for why my rear left pokes and right rear sinks. Tesla put my car on alignment and was within spec. So im thinking the whole subframe is shifted left.

My issue is that the rear left wheel pokes and rear right wheel sinks. Swapping wheels around and using 3 different sets of wheels produces the same result!

Possibilities include fenders not properly aligned, including rear bumper..
or the whole rear subframe shifted.
Or .. im out of ideas! quite frustrating as I cant not notice one side pokes!

That is very strange, I have not heard of that before. Can you post images?
Screenshot_20190826_181825_com.google.android.apps.photos.jpg
Screenshot_20190826_181822_com.google.android.apps.photos.jpg

Hmm, your toe is arguably more concerning and could also change the "look". Fortunately, that is adjustable.

It's extremely unlikely the frame is off-center. It's possible your subframe is damaged, but not likely. It is also possible you have damaged suspension arm(s), but your alignment does not indicate such.

This sound silly, but considering you appear to be running aftermarket wheels, have you confirmed they are the same size in the rear (a possible shipping mixup or staggered setup)? Are you running spacers or hubcentric rings?

Reactions: Schmollak
Hmm, your toe is arguably more concerning and could also change the "look". Fortunately, that is adjustable.

It's extremely unlikely the frame is off-center. It's possible your subframe is damaged, but not likely. It is also possible you have damaged suspension arm(s), but your alignment does not indicate such.

This sound silly, but considering you appear to be running aftermarket wheels, have you confirmed they are the same size in the rear (a possible shipping mixup or staggered setup)? Are you running spacers or hubcentric rings?

I've swapped wheels opposite sides. Stock wheels and winter wheels. All same results. My wheels also are huncentric so no spacers or hubrings

I've swapped wheels opposite sides. Stock wheels and winter wheels. All same results. My wheels also are huncentric so no spacers or hubrings

Well the quarter panels are not adjustable. You could try shifting the subframe (there are four bolts, 21mm bolts I believe), but you would need it on a lift with someone experienced. They could also inspect the subframe and arms at the same time.

• Informative
I have a difference left to right on my car too. On coil overs it’s easier to see as I’m dropped about 1.25” and my wheels are spaced near flush. I initially blamed camber as well. It’s maybe 5-6mm different side to side, which means the fenders are 2.5-3mm off perfect center to the subframe. This doesn’t seem to be an abnormal tolerance.

I have a difference left to right on my car too. On coil overs it’s easier to see as I’m dropped about 1.25” and my wheels are spaced near flush. I initially blamed camber as well. It’s maybe 5-6mm different side to side, which means the fenders are 2.5-3mm off perfect center to the subframe. This doesn’t seem to be an abnormal tolerance.
Did you ever fix it or left it

No, I think a 2-3mm offset of body to running gear in a car is perfectly acceptable. I don’t know how far yours is out. Do you have a T-square or a level? Hold a level on the fender and measure to the top of the wheel on either side.

can’t believe you swapped 3 different wheel sets? You thought there would be a variance in wheels?

have any pictures?

No, I think a 2-3mm offset of body to running gear in a car is perfectly acceptable. I don’t know how far yours is out. Do you have a T-square or a level? Hold a level on the fender and measure to the top of the wheel on either side.

can’t believe you swapped 3 different wheel sets? You thought there would be a variance in wheels?

have any pictures?

Nah I have 3 sets and I just swapped em around to diagnose the issue. Don't have any leveling stuff atm. I think its about 5mm different. If I put a 5mm spacer on the sunken side then it visually looks the same

I had this issue on a new BMW M4 on the rear, subframe was shifted left, put car on lift with my trusty mechanic loosened bolts and centered subframe.

When we removed the first bolt it was obvious the subframe was shifted because the edge of the bolt was on the far side of the subframe hole.

No damage it came that way from the factory.

• Informative