Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

P3D+ Sheet metal pop sound

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Recently I noticed around 5 minutes into supercharging a load noise that sounds like sheet metal popping. I know what the contactor sounds like and am sure that’s not it. This same sound will randomly happen while driving. I can feel it with my feet as well. Has anyone else experienced this? I’m going to try and record the sound tomorrow while charging.

Had my P3D+ since September 10th and have about 800 miles on the car. Had never heard what I describe as a sheet metal popping sound, until two days ago. In the middle of a 500 mile road trip and noticed this randomly the first day, maybe 100 miles in.

Lower miles day two and three, but still the occasional "pop."

Something is going on, but not so loud it is disconcerting. We'll see what the final 200 mile day brings the day after tomorrow.

All else is flawless (minus phone key which is crap.)

yes! got my car 9/22, now with about 800 miles on it. felt like i ran over something that hit the floor while freeway driving twice now - the was a pop sound and I felt movement under my feet. i know there was nothing there and i've looked under the car with no obvious damage noted. really weird...

The joys of production hell, passed along to the customers. I am quite sure that the QC was a bit worse as they are focusing so heavily on numbers. Honestly I haven't heard this from my P3D, and I would have noticed. Its possibly exactly what it sounds like, sheet metal buckling under load where a weld was missed or failed.
If that is true, it will likely repeat itself, and be something that needs to be dealt with down the road. Hopefully its not too difficult to find.

Interesting that this happened when supercharging. If it was a sheet metal buckling I would expect sounds like these to happen as the chassis flexes. Though its still possible that the sheet metal is sprung and stays that way during driving, but pops as it relaxes.

The fact that it happens while stopped pretty much eliminates the sound coming from anything rolling around loose and banging into something. I guess its possible it could be related to the battery cooling system, since that is certainly active while supercharging.

Also possible its something else entirely. You mention it happens at random times, does it happen more while cruising, driving hard, cornering, accelerating, speedbumps/uneven surfaces or braking?