Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

P3D+ Sheet metal pop sound

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Have any of you guys tried placing a heavy weight on the rear seat floorboard to see if the issue goes away (especially for those that are supercharging regularly and can replicate it easily)? I actually have a set of cast iron cylinder heads that would be perfect, but weights from a weight set might do the trick too.

Usually I only hear the popping sound when supercharging but over the past week I’ve been hearing it every time I go over a bump that flexes (twists?) the body of the car. (Like going over a speed bump diagonally) This flexing is kind of worrying me

It was the first thing that came to my mind also. The fluff is probably insulation to slow down the expansion of the top of the battery pack avoiding this "disconcerting" noise. As much as I admire Musk's engineering skills, I was skeptical when he said it served NO purpose. People don't just add parts for no reason, especially a new product.

I mentioned the noise to the service technician when I was picking up my Model 3 for a windshield replacement yesterday. He said the noise is a relay but he would be glad to check it out if I left it another day. I was already suffering from withdrawals and said maybe next time.

• Informative
Reactions: Jaywlker
It was the first thing that came to my mind also. The fluff is probably insulation to slow down the expansion of the top of the battery pack avoiding this "disconcerting" noise. As much as I admire Musk's engineering skills, I was skeptical when he said it served NO purpose. People don't just add parts for no reason, especially a new product.
That is not what Elon said. He said it was not achieving its purpose. Reportedly, fluff was there to reduce road noise in the cabin and they tested with and without it before removing it. If there were undocumented or unforeseen effects of the fluff, those would not have been tested against. (Could have been suppressing oilcanning noise during climate testing, but no one though of that issue and so didn't realize it had that effect, S/X packs didn't need fluff...)

Edited Transcript of TSLA earnings conference call or presentation 2-May-18 9:30pm GMT
And so we had a super complicated machine using a vision system to try to put a piece of fluff on the battery pack. That same -- and one of the questions asked was, "Do we actually need that?" So we tested a car with and without and found that there was no change in the noise volume in the cabin, so we actually had a part that was unnecessary that was -- of course, the line kept breaking down because fluffer bot would frequently just fail to pick up the fluff or put it in like a random location. So that was one of the silliest things I found.

That is not what Elon said.
Yes, I stand corrected and the "oilcanning" issue probably wasn't a known issue to test. Yet I don't think most experienced engineers would recommend completely removing the "fluff" because of such an unforeseen risk.

Yet that is why Elon is/was such a successful CEO. He has a great track record of making bold yet correct decisions.

Yes, I stand corrected and the "oilcanning" issue probably wasn't a known issue to test. Yet I don't think most experienced engineers would recommend completely removing the "fluff" because of such an unforeseen risk.

Yet that is why Elon is/was such a successful CEO. He has a great track record of making bold yet correct decisions.

Oh I can totally see it happening. Pull out a part for known reason X, and then find out it has side benefit Y for a problem you dodn't even know you had..
I'm guessing there may be an additional cause of developed pressure differential between the pack and ambient environment (vents too restrictive). I'm pretty sure the vents have been changes post-start of production.

Just to +1, I get the baking pan/locker/oilcan sheet meal pop, both while supercharging and while ascending on my ~2000ft commute home. Pattern recognition points to increasing heat in the pack, as suggested upthread.

I asked a mobile tech about this last week (before I found this thread) and he hadn’t heard of it.

Best guess is this ends up a fix like the early model S a/c compressors. Nothing to worry about, though understandably frustrating for Tesla noobs. o_O

Reactions: Bighorn
I have this sound in my dual motor long range model3. Happens 5-10 minutes into using a supercharger. Does anyone have credible info from Tesla as to root cause? I think the oil canning theory sounds reasonable. Not really buying into the contactor or relay noise.