Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

P3D+ Sheet metal pop sound

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My M3 (Ser#483XXX) makes that exact sound while supercharging. Additionally, its possible to push hard on the rear floor just under the center consol and make a similar noise happen. I talked to the service dept and they said they had never seen that. I asked for it to be noted just in case.

My M3 (Ser#483XXX) makes that exact sound while supercharging. Additionally, its possible to push hard on the rear floor just under the center consol and make a similar noise happen. I talked to the service dept and they said they had never seen that. I asked for it to be noted just in case.

Odd that the problem still exists considering they supposedly have a service bulletin from last year that supposedly resolves the issue.

Never experienced this, but I have spent very little time in the car when charging. That said, drop a soccer ball where a RWD car's driveshaft tunnel would be in the rear floor area, and you'll hear a very loud and frightening thunk. I think Tesla did two things here that led to that. First, they put no sound deadening in that area. Second, that's a big span of sheet metal, and I'm guessing that they didn't put enough stamping features to keep it from oil canning. Just a guess, I haven't pulled up the carpet to see.

How this relates to supercharging. I would guess the guy in the video above is correct, the rapid heating up due to rapid charging is probably having the floor expand at a quick rate, and the banging is a shift in the sheet metal as pressure induced by the temperature gradient is released.

Reactions: super20g