Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

P3D+ Spontaneous Alignment Issue

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I took my car to the service center to have an autopilot issue fixed (front radar went out) and test a super charging issue (so they had to drive it to a local super charger). When I dropped my car off, it tracked perfectly straight (has about 3k miles, 41 psi all around).

When I picked it up a few days later, driving it home i noticed that once I got to about 40mph+, it was pulling very hard to the right. I brought back to the service center, and they had a tech drive along with me and verified that it was pulling and not right. Not sure if someone at the service center hit a pothole when test driving it or what.

Picked up the car the next day after a 4 wheel alignment, and i'm still noticing it pull a bit to the right on flat road not accelerating at about 50mph+. It's not nearly as bad as it was yesterday, but still there.

Has anyone else experienced something similar? Anyone else have alignment issues? Could something in the front suspension be loose?

What should I do, bring it back even though they did a 4 wheel alignment yesterday?

Thanks!

No such thing. Clearly got messed up on their watch. Take it back and insist on thorough alignment and inspection for bent rims , and insist on talking with the alignment person, or at least get thorough assessment from service manager including alignment report, which they can print.

Plus... why the sensationalist title? I don’t get why members jump to conclusion there’s a systemic flaw in car and create clickbait thread titles.

I have same issue. I just picked up car from service center and steering wheel is not centered. Car pulls to the right hard. Taking it back for wheel inspection and alignment. Car was perfectly centered prior.... really disappointing.

No such thing. Clearly got messed up on their watch. Take it back and insist on thorough alignment and inspection for bent rims , and insist on talking with the alignment person, or at least get thorough assessment from service manager including alignment report, which they can print.

Plus... why the sensationalist title? I don’t get why members jump to conclusion there’s a systemic flaw in car and create clickbait thread titles.
Ok with all these reports I recant. Suspect software.

Per TeslaFi it looks like they are slowing down the roll-out of 50.5 today, wonder if they're noticing bugs...

upload_2019-1-16_19-32-31.png

upload_2019-1-16_19-33-18.png

Just noticed mine pulling really bad to the right this morning and thought it was so odd as I had not noticed that earlier. I just updated last night to 50.5. Did not get around to it but need to check tire pressures. Wonder if this could be software, as that would be so creepy.

I have another service appointment scheduled for next Tuesday where they'll take another look. The pull to the right for me is most noticeable above 45 mph; though it does pull at all speeds.

The service center had left my car out in the rain for a few days before I picked it up. Since they completed an alignment and the problem persists, my only other though was something with the right front break sticking, or maybe a wheel bearing. Though now with others talking about the 2018.50 updates (which I received while at the service center), I'm wondering if that's it... Hopefully it's a software bug, though that seems pretty odd.

Alignment would be a potential cause, look at the symptom instead: pulling.
It has electric power steering, it can pull the wheel any direction it wants...
OK, I'll give you that braking and steering could both be affected by software update and could both cause pull. However, I'll stick with my prior assertion: software cannot change alignment.

Reactions: mongo
Back at the server center to get a second alignment.

Also interesting; apparently the model 3 has an adapting steering system that uses an algorithm to attempt to correct if the steering wheel is out of alignment with the steering rack.

To calibrate the algorithm, you need to drive at freeway speeds of 45+ mph WITHOUT autopilot active for at least 30 minutes. Then when your car next deep sleeps it will updates the steering offsets.

They showed me the internal Tesla service knowledge base. Super cool tech.

I'm wondering if 2018.50 update reset the offset and that's why some people notice their car pulled.

When my car was brand new, it pulled hard left. Next day, it was fine. Thought Hmnmmn?

6 months later, it was in the shop and they did a software update. Driving home, it pulled hard left.
One potato, two potato, three potato (If I haven't grabbed the wheel by 3-potato) I'd be fully into the adjacent lane.
Tried different speeds, different roads, everything... Always hard left.
Next day, the pulling completely gone!!!

I asked the service tech if the car has automatic alignment/adjustment. He said "no". But I don't believe him. The pulling was unmistakable.

It has been reported previously on forum that car has some sort of self centering of steering. Others have experienced it correcting itself and have been told about feature by service. Personally, with 2 3s I’ve never experienced. And it’s not widely reported here. So I suspect it is only noticeable in certain cases.

I posted this in another old thread, but this seems to be most appropriate thread. Mods, feel free to delete the old post.

I got the vehicle delivered today and have the alignment issue, the car pulls to the right on a level road. Its a SR+ M3. The steering wheel looks crooked too. I took it back to the SC and the only tech left who was able to do a software calibration reset. But that doesn't seem to have fixed the issue, but reduced the amount of pull.

I probably will have to do a cold walk-in tomorrow when they open.

Should I try engaging the autopilot to see if the issue corrects itself, I haven't tried to operate it after it first calibrated during the drive home.