Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

P3D+ Street/Track/Time Trial Build

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am VERY interested to hear your comparisons between stock rotors with RP2 pads and the BBK. Love that you are bringing two cars to the track, lol.

FWIW, if you can get your hands on a spare HPWC, you can rig one up with a 14-50 plug, and if the track's infrastructure is up to it, charge at 48 amps on a 50 amp circuit. That'll get you 15%/hour vs the 10%/hour on the 32 amp gen 2 UMC or 12.5%/hour on the 40 amp gen 1 UMC.

• Helpful
Reactions: Lindenwood
I am VERY interested to hear your comparisons between stock rotors with RP2 pads and the BBK. Love that you are bringing two cars to the track, lol.

FWIW, if you can get your hands on a spare HPWC, you can rig one up with a 14-50 plug, and if the track's infrastructure is up to it, charge at 48 amps on a 50 amp circuit. That'll get you 15%/hour vs the 10%/hour on the 32 amp gen 2 UMC or 12.5%/hour on the 40 amp gen 1 UMC.

Oh, don't worry, I already stole your idea haha! It worked great, tripped the breaker a couple times but easily fixed.

The BBK is notably more confidence-inspiring on the street, we'll see how that translates on-track. The pedal with the AP kit is super direct and it feels like the brakes are instant.

IMG_20200229_070444.jpg

@MasterC17 Now you've fitted MPP front control arms to two cars, did you find any differences between the two? I've just fitted them to mine and with a 4mm spacer I'm only getting -1.4 of camber, which is a long way off the -2.8 listed for that spacer.

@MasterC17 Now you've fitted MPP front control arms to two cars, did you find any differences between the two? I've just fitted them to mine and with a 4mm spacer I'm only getting -1.4 of camber, which is a long way off the -2.8 listed for that spacer.

With no shims, I am getting about -2.5 to -2.75 degrees of camber. There is some adjustment in the FUCA mount if you loosen the four bolts and slide it around. There is also a little bit of play in the front lower control arm where it bolts to the subframe (assuming you haven't put the MPP bushings in place). Results will also vary depending on ride height.

With no shims, I am getting about -2.5 to -2.75 degrees of camber. There is some adjustment in the FUCA mount if you loosen the four bolts and slide it around. There is also a little bit of play in the front lower control arm where it bolts to the subframe (assuming you haven't put the MPP bushings in place). Results will also vary depending on ride height.
That seems to tally with @TexasTeslaRacing as well, although I'm getting less than both of you. What is your ride height and how much difference do you think loosening the mount and pushing it in actually made? My front camber was -.30/-.50 with the stock arms so I've only gained about 1 degree with the 4mm spacer, so even with no spacers I'm looking at maybe -2 max.

That seems to tally with @TexasTeslaRacing as well, although I'm getting less than both of you. What is your ride height and how much difference do you think loosening the mount and pushing it in actually made? My front camber was -.30/-.50 with the stock arms so I've only gained about 1 degree with the 4mm spacer, so even with no spacers I'm looking at maybe -2 max.

It can change it up to .50 degrees (from all the way out to all the way in). Ride height is roughly 14.5" from hub to fender.

I would try no spacers and moving the mount. I think you should be able to achieve ~2.75 degrees.

@MasterC17 By the way I was able to run the scroth quick fit harness with a hans device. Definitely felt more secure in the seat. Hopefully it is more safe than stock but like I found to be true with most things you get different opinions all over the map.
It's no doubt safer than stock, but it's not the same level as proper single piece seat with a welded harness bar behind.

Reactions: Lucky13
How did the ap brakes fair?

They were great! As far as thermals go, I highly doubt anyone could overheat these brakes even if they tried. On average, they ran about 23% cooler than the stock caliper setup. The hottest they got was about 960f, compared to about 1,110f on the stock calipers.

Additionally, they were consistent unlike the stock calipers. The stock caliper setup would get squishy/mushy and I had some pretty notable brake fade a few times coming into Turn 1. I did not have any fade with the AP kit, at all.

The brakes are immediate. There is no softness, you press them and they are instantly present. It's kind of weird getting used to how stiff they are, but I've never had a proper BBK before.

Overall, they check all the boxes as far as thermals/fade, noise, and immediacy are concerned. I can't see any wear to the front pads. I am sure there is some measured wear but if so it is less than a mm.

They were great! As far as thermals go, I highly doubt anyone could overheat these brakes even if they tried. On average, they ran about 23% cooler than the stock caliper setup. The hottest they got was about 960f, compared to about 1,110f on the stock calipers.

Additionally, they were consistent unlike the stock calipers. The stock caliper setup would get squishy/mushy and I had some pretty notable brake fade a few times coming into Turn 1. I did not have any fade with the AP kit, at all.

The brakes are immediate. There is no softness, you press them and they are instantly present. It's kind of weird getting used to how stiff they are, but I've never had a proper BBK before.

Overall, they check all the boxes as far as thermals/fade, noise, and immediacy are concerned. I can't see any wear to the front pads. I am sure there is some measured wear but if so it is less than a mm.
Sounds like they were a waste of money...lol glad to hear that they did their job.

Go Comfort Coilovers! I love a good underdog story.

I have to say I was mighty impressed. The MCS do outperform the MPP Comfort's in one area, and that would be over rumble strips. The MCS stay composed whereas the Comfort's get...uncomfortable. Therefore, I was able to carry a bit more speed through the esses. Otherwise though, cornering speeds were only 1-2mph slower with the Comfort's which is pretty amazing. Driving each car back to back, my wife's car has a lot less NVH and is unquestionably more comfortable to drive. Considering the drastic price difference, it's pretty clear what the better value is.

Considering that braking is faster than acceleration, "if you try" - we are talking about ~0.3MW of continuous heat that those brakes would need to exhaust. I guess 5 minutes before they will be irreversibly dead.

Anyway, that's great APs are holding up well. Is it possible that you can measure caliper expansion at maximum pedal pressure?

Last edited:
I have to say I was mighty impressed. The MCS do outperform the MPP Comfort's in one area, and that would be over rumble strips. The MCS stay composed whereas the Comfort's get...uncomfortable. Therefore, I was able to carry a bit more speed through the esses. Otherwise though, cornering speeds were only 1-2mph slower with the Comfort's which is pretty amazing. Driving each car back to back, my wife's car has a lot less NVH and is unquestionably more comfortable to drive. Considering the drastic price difference, it's pretty clear what the better value is.

What setting do you have yours at / what spring rates are you running with the MCS coils?