Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

P3D TCOs

Pull the trigger?

• Do it!

Votes: 6 75.0%
  • Hold off as long as you can

Votes: 1 12.5%
  • It's not the right time, save up

Votes: 1 12.5%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey guys,

Posted here a week ago or so, and ended up putting in my deposit for the P3D black on black, with FSD. Comes to $1,189.1/month with tax for 96 months at 4.04%.

Simple math, P3D > anything in the same price range.

I just got rid of the Benz which was costing me $1260 per month, plus gas insurance and Presto = $1940/month

I'll save $600~ per month by making the switch, which adds up to quite a lot over a year. However, I'm having second thoughts on pulling the trigger...I tried using more complex TCO spreadsheets but honestly, I got confused while doing them.

Hoping I can get some assistance on calculating it in my use case...I'm about to hit 25, make a good chunk of change but haven't saved as much as I should've living at home. I am looking to get a car to keep, no more leasing expensive cars. I plan on keeping this car even after paying it off, which I want to do faster than 8 years but I'm just doing an 8 year loan to keep minimum payments low. I'd be driving the car to work and back, parking would be free. This is a daily commute of about 120 kms, Brampton to Toronto and back.

Reactions: SmartElectric
Depending on the L/100km, the per km cost is anywhere from 1/2 - 1/3 in the winter months and 1/5 to 1/4 of gas cars.

If saving money is your true goal. Go with a LR RWD for commuting and road trips. If you're going to the track or want to win all the off the line pedal to the metal short sprints, go with the P3D ;)

Here are my numbers with 8L/100km on a 2018 Civic. EDIT, be aware that other drivers have no idea you're coming up on them at 120kph off the line. I had a Honda CRV cut me off without signaling this morning. Brake test o.0

Model 3 kW Log

Hey guys,

Posted here a week ago or so, and ended up putting in my deposit for the P3D black on black, with FSD. Comes to $1,189.1/month with tax for 96 months at 4.04%.

I just got rid of the Benz which was costing me $1260 per month, plus gas insurance and Presto = $1940/month

I'll save $600~ per month by making the switch, which adds up to quite a lot over a year. However, I'm having second thoughts on pulling the trigger...I tried using more complex TCO spreadsheets but honestly, I got confused while doing them.

Hoping I can get some assistance on calculating it in my use case...I'm about to hit 25, make a good chunk of change but haven't saved as much as I should've living at home. I am looking to get a car to keep, no more leasing expensive cars. I plan on keeping this car even after paying it off, which I want to do faster than 8 years but I'm just doing an 8 year loan to keep minimum payments low. I'd be driving the car to work and back, parking would be free. This is a daily commute of about 120 kms, Brampton to Toronto and back.
If $ is a priority, you could just get a 3D instead of a P3D, much cheaper and you'll still feel the instant torque more than your benz. But if it's not a concern then by all means go for the P3D, you'll certainly not regret it with either choice.

Personally I couldn't fathom managing a $1200 monthly bill on my vehicle, let alone $1900, great to hear you're doing well financially at 24 :). I was your age when I bought my car, but only because we still had the 14k rebate for the RWD M3, which made it a bit more comfortable to afford for me.

Last edited:
If $ is a priority, you could just get a 3D instead of a P3D, much cheaper and you'll still feel the instant torque more than your benz. But if it's not a concern then by all means go for the P3D, you'll certainly not regret it with either choice.

Personally I couldn't fathom managing a $1200 monthly bill on my vehicle, let alone $1900, great to hear you're doing well financially at 24 :). I was your age when I bought my car, but only because we still had the 14k rebate for the RWD M3, which made it a bit more comfortable to afford for me.
I asked for a quote on the 3D, it came out to be $115 less a month .. not as much of a difference as I hoped, at that point I'd rather pay the extra and never have to deal with the what ifs

Honestly, it just comes down to what is the better choice without being emotional because hell yeah I want to do this!! Is it the right choice is the hard part.

• Love
Depending on the L/100km, the per km cost is anywhere from 1/2 - 1/3 in the winter months and 1/5 to 1/4 of gas cars.

If saving money is your true goal. Go with a LR RWD for commuting and road trips. If you're going to the track or want to win all the off the line pedal to the metal short sprints, go with the P3D ;)

Here are my numbers with 8L/100km on a 2018 Civic. EDIT, be aware that other drivers have no idea you're coming up on them at 120kph off the line. I had a Honda CRV cut me off without signaling this morning. Brake test o.0

Model 3 kW Log
Thank you for the spreadsheet, but I'm not quite sure how-to read it.. how much more or less is the 3 vs the Civic?

I asked for a quote on the 3D, it came out to be $115 less a month .. not as much of a difference as I hoped, at that point I'd rather pay the extra and never have to deal with the what ifs

Honestly, it just comes down to what is the better choice without being emotional because hell yeah I want to do this!! Is it the right choice is the hard part.
Ouch $115 is a small difference, in that sense it would make sense for a P3D instead... have you checked with Tesla to see if they have any inventory models you can get a discount on? Some people have managed to get 5~10k discounts this way.

Thank you for the spreadsheet, but I'm not quite sure how-to read it.. how much more or less is the 3 vs the Civic?

I don't know your car's model. Graph adjusted for C300 (Purple + Teal) at 25mpg (9.4L/100km)
Mercedes-Benz C300 MPG - Actual MPG from 297 Mercedes-Benz C300 owners

This is regular (87 octane) prices - assuming it averages out to $1.35/L.

upload_2019-4-18_8-0-43.png

Hey guys,

Along with the gas and presto savings, you should also factor the cost savings you will see with not having to do oil changes, and annual maintenance as well. it all adds up!

Congrats putting the deposit down on the P3D.

Along with the gas and presto savings, you should also factor the cost savings you will see with not having to do oil changes, and annual maintenance as well. it all adds up!

Congrats putting the deposit down on the P3D.

It definitely does...we shall see, I do want to do it but it seems like a huge want and not a need at least for a bit of time..my dad on the other hand is kind of encouraging it as a long term hold, while saving some money you'll also get to enjoy something special like a P3D. At the end of the day, I'm an only child so the money I am giving them to help out with the house is ultimately coming back to me one day ...

Awesome!

How many km's were you averaging per month?

My commute is similar to yours ~ 102 to 120+ km a day depending on how far I go for after work activities. Throw in weekend road trips and some months spike.

Monthly average is ~3000 km. Versus a the Civic, I've saved ~ $2,000. Versus the C300, I'd round up to ~$3,000 as a ball park (does the C300 use 87 octane?)

NOTE: Model 3 insurance cost is on part or slightly less than the Civic.

Pros: No oil change cost. Saves time - no more gas station visits. Autopilot for 401/commute. Amazing sound system and tech. The smug grin when you mash the pedal and get in front of everyone while not "speeding" - no tickets for accelerating quickly (unless they count that as reckless driving).

Cons: you may have to stop 10minutes more on a road trip per bathroom break. Range takes a hit in the Winter months. No longer visiting your favorite candy stand at Husky by Dixie and 401 for 10c cheaper gas.

Make your choice ;)
upload_2019-4-18_13-20-0.png

Last edited:
My commute is similar to yours ~ 102 to 120+ km a day depending on how far I go for after work activities. Throw in weekend road trips and some months spike.

Monthly average is ~3000 km. Versus a the Civic, I've saved ~ $2,000. Versus the C300, I'd round up to ~$3,000 as a ball park (does the C300 use 87 octane?)

View attachment 398114
Nice, I had a C43 so 91 octane but it was decent on gas about 10L/100km. If it's not too much to ask, could you help compare a new Civic/Camry/etc to a P3D...I feel like it's close, but it isn't fair to compare a P3D to a 5 year old Civic .. or is it?

Nice, I had a C43 so 91 octane but it was decent on gas about 10L/100km. If it's not too much to ask, could you help compare a new Civic/Camry/etc to a P3D...I feel like it's close, but it isn't fair to compare a P3D to a 5 year old Civic .. or is it?

Even me comparing my parent's car to the Model 3 isn't not a fair comparison because the upfront capital costs. You won't win the $ argument unless you're comparing it to a similar car in the luxury segment. However, if you're going to keep the car for 10+ years. Electric will eventually win out. Especially when gas prices increase as oil companies try to squeeze every cent of profit from their business.

Go nuts comparing apples to oranges :) Copy of Cars_2018

Reactions: yuvraj94
I waited and waited but now I kinda wish I'd have gotten it sooner. It's a hoot to drive (AWD, non-P) or not drive (autopilot with the the rainbow road easter egg, relaxed listening to music instead of stressing about traffic.)

The money side of things doesn't really make sense since if I compare to my previous car (which is now my wife's) as the difference in prices when new will take 10+ years of fuel/maintenance savings to overcome. I do plan to keep the car that long (hoping it's future proof due to FSD availability, though I haven't purchased FSD) but there is also opportunity cost of tying up the money. Then again, I expect fuel prices will continue to increase.

Anyhow, you can run the numbers, but they are always just a guess. Your situation can change. You might move or get a different job potentially reducing or eliminating your commute (which is an even better way to save on "fuel" costs.)

Reactions: 5_+JqckQttqck