Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

P3D Tire & Rim Options

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Pkatz

Jul 13, 2018
NY
I have had my P3D for 4 months now. I have the 20” peformance wheel/tire package with the performance brakes. I’m in love with the car, but I live in the NY area, and the roads are crap. As a result, twice in three months I’ve had tires blow after going into a pothole. The first time I lost one tire, the second time I lost two tires in one pothole. I’m starting to rethink the wisdom continuing to use performance tires, since their low profile makes them susceptible to this type of thing happening again and again, which gets expensive and is a major inconvenience.

Here are a few questions I have since I’m clueless about tires: 1. Has anyone had a similar situation and swapped out their tires for a higher profile tire that can be used on the performance rim that would be more durable? 2. (Assuming that there is no higher profile option for the 20” rims) Has anyone swapped out their 20 inch wheels and rims for a 19 or 18 inch set that will work with the performance breaks that works well on the P3D?

Thank you to anyone who has any advice.

I have the same issue, and saw several Ferraris with the same damaged 225/35R20's while passing a Watkins Glen road repair site during Ferrari week last September. That convinced me to get our of those low profile tires as soon as I could.

There are a couple of aftermarket 18" wheels that will just clear the Performance brakes. Also, the Model 3 19" wheels also clear Performance brakes according to a reliable source. I am trading my 20" for the 19" and when those 235/40R19 tires need replacing I'll try for a higher sidewall height also. Here is one such 18" aftermarket option:

If you do choose either 18" or 19" I suggest a 45 profile, which will give much more resilience. I'd also buy from Goodyear or Discount Tire or another option that offers a road hazard warranty. Just do not buy a tire without a road hazard warranty, given your location. You may also find buyers for your existing wheels since many people really like the look of those wheels.

You will have slight, but noticeable, loss of cornering power, if you make this change, and if you actually get close to the limits. I do not. A side benefit is that you'll also probably have slightly less energy consumption.

I have the same issue, and saw several Ferraris with the same damaged 225/35R20's while passing a Watkins Glen road repair site during Ferrari week last September. That convinced me to get our of those low profile tires as soon as I could.

There are a couple of aftermarket 18" wheels that will just clear the Performance brakes. Also, the Model 3 19" wheels also clear Performance brakes according to a reliable source. I am trading my 20" for the 19" and when those 235/40R19 tires need replacing I'll try for a higher sidewall height also. Here is one such 18" aftermarket option:

If you do choose either 18" or 19" I suggest a 45 profile, which will give much more resilience. I'd also buy from Goodyear or Discount Tire or another option that offers a road hazard warranty. Just do not buy a tire without a road hazard warranty, given your location. You may also find buyers for your existing wheels since many people really like the look of those wheels.

You will have slight, but noticeable, loss of cornering power, if you make this change, and if you actually get close to the limits. I do not. A side benefit is that you'll also probably have slightly less energy consumption.

Thank you so much for the helpful post! If I may ask, why are you thinking that you would switch to the 19” rather than the 18” that you posted the link to? Is it an aesthetic reason or a performance reason?

Reactions: jbcarioca
Thank you so much for the helpful post! If I may ask, why are you thinking that you would switch to the 19” rather than the 18” that you posted the link to? Is it an aesthetic reason or a performance reason?
Actually, neither. A friend has a set of 19" OEM Tesla Model 3 wheels, but wants the 20" ones, so we're trading. Were I forced to purchase new wheels, they would be the 18" ones, probably teh ones I linked, but there are also a number fo other 18" options that fit over the Performance brakes, which are the reason OEM Tesla 18" will not fit cars with the Performance option.

Actually, neither. A friend has a set of 19" OEM Tesla Model 3 wheels, but wants the 20" ones, so we're trading. Were I forced to purchase new wheels, they would be the 18" ones, probably teh ones I linked, but there are also a number fo other 18" options that fit over the Performance brakes, which are the reason OEM Tesla 18" will not fit cars with the Performance option.

Thanks for the further reply. I am thinking 18” make more sense as you suggest. It opens up the tire options. As much as it will slightly reduce the handling as you described, it seems like a small price to pay for not having to change my tires several times a year. I just got a $800 bill to replace two relatively new tires. That hurt. Great idea too that I try to sell my 20” wheels. Sounds like a job for Craigs’ List!

I have a M3P and decided to go with an 18” wheel because I thought it would be more practical given potholes, etc. I got the 18” wheels with the Michelin tires from TSportline. I rec’d them last week and had them put on at Tesla earlier this week. So far, they’ve been fine and I feel less paranoid about potholes. No issue getting the 18” wheels over the large performance rotors.

When I initially started to look for 18” wheels to fit the M3P, there weren’t any other options but I think now there are multiple on Tire Rack’s website. I’m pretty ignorant about these types of things so my first choice would have been an OEM wheel but since that wasn’t an option, I went with a Tesla-specific provider in TSportline. Hope this helps.

Reactions: alexGS
Thanks for the further reply. I am thinking 18” make more sense as you suggest. It opens up the tire options. As much as it will slightly reduce the handling as you described, it seems like a small price to pay for not having to change my tires several times a year. I just got a $800 bill to replace two relatively new tires. That hurt. Great idea too that I try to sell my 20” wheels. Sounds like a job for Craigs’ List!

I don't know anyone who has filed for reimbursement in NY, but this link claims you can: Yes, You Can Get Reimbursed for Pothole Damage in New York. Here's How.

Let us know if you've tried/succeeded!

I blew out my performance tires on my Audi shuttling between NY and NJ several times, and I nearly forgot about it until I read your thread. In the meantime, I took off my performance tires on the 3 as soon as I could due to the weather change - many Performance Model 3 drivers don't understand the implications of using performance tires when the weather changes. I ordered 18-inch tires and wheels from TireRack and had them delivered to the Mobile Tire Shop - they come right to the house and install them for 60 bucks.

Reactions: hoang51
I have had my P3D for 4 months now. I have the 20” peformance wheel/tire package with the performance brakes. I’m in love with the car, but I live in the NY area, and the roads are crap. As a result, twice in three months I’ve had tires blow after going into a pothole. The first time I lost one tire, the second time I lost two tires in one pothole. I’m starting to rethink the wisdom continuing to use performance tires, since their low profile makes them susceptible to this type of thing happening again and again, which gets expensive and is a major inconvenience.

Here are a few questions I have since I’m clueless about tires: 1. Has anyone had a similar situation and swapped out their tires for a higher profile tire that can be used on the performance rim that would be more durable? 2. (Assuming that there is no higher profile option for the 20” rims) Has anyone swapped out their 20 inch wheels and rims for a 19 or 18 inch set that will work with the performance breaks that works well on the P3D?

@Pkatz I'm not sure how you managed to drive around with the 20" summer performance wheels when you're up in NY area with the weather that should be cooler than VA and it has been chilly for some time now. You should know that those summer performance tires (Michelin Pilot Sport 4S) should not be used if they were exposed below 40 degrees F for more than 24 hours. It looks like they updated to anywhere below 20 degrees F for it to go back up to 40 degrees F (see bottom of Description section): https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tire... 3 Performance&autoModClar=Performance Brakes

Note: Tires exposed to temperatures of 20 degrees F (-7 degrees C) or lower must be permitted to gradually return to temperatures of at least 40 degrees F (5 degrees C) for at least 24 hours before they are flexed in any manner, such as by adjusting inflation pressures, mounting them on wheels or using them to support, roll or drive a vehicle.

Check these two threads that have plenty of answers to your questions:
Performance Model 3 Snow Tires/Rims
P3D+ 20” Winter Tires / Wheels

FYI, I went with 19" rims and Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+. Details here.

19" <-> 20" won't work, especially if one car was not the Performance variant. The 20" rims have a recessed lip.

See these two posts in this thread:
T Sportline 19s on a P3D+ rattling like crazy
T Sportline 19s on a P3D+ rattling like crazy

Just to clarify you are running the OEM 20" PS4S tires in NY in the winter? While low profile tires are more susceptible to road damage, if you are driving summer rubber in the winter that might be your issue. Michelin PS4S aren't rated to go below 45 degrees F and when they do they get stiff and can crack(below 20) and that might be the cause of your blowouts. Now if you are running the 20" snow tires that doesn't apply to you.

I have a P3D (since August) in MA (talk about lousy roads and potholes...) and I feel for you!
I got ahead of the issue and asked Tesla service for "winter wheel/tire package" recommendations. I was so "early" with my request that they were just pulling "solutions" out of their hats...I had to solve the "problem" myself since their recommendation was over $5k and was totally in-appropriate for our local roads. (20" rims with 20" low-profile winter tires!)
My solution and reasoning was/is:
NO performance tires below 40 degrees F!! (the performance rubber will degrade so fast that you will be on skins before you know it!)
NO 20" rims (yeah, they look awesome) in NE winter/early spring (until the potholes are "fixed") (and certainly no low-profile 35's)
I "solved" with real WINTER tires (note that I did not say all-season!!) and selected 18" (far better price that 20" rarities)
on, obviously, 18" rims. (Here you need to be careful...the center hubs of the brakes on our P3D's are different than just normal 3's...
I worked with Tire Rack folks to get the "right rims" with the "right centering rings" and a safe caliper clearance.
The results are certainly satisfying (to me at least) until late spring when the perf. 20"ers will go back on...

I heartily recommend that you get those perf "skis" off ASAP since the temps are headed back below 40 degrees F soon...

Reactions: hoang51

I'm told taht these 19" do have the recessed lip, but prior to the switch I certainly will be confirming that. Otherwise there are the aftermarket wheels specifically designed for use with performance option.

19" OEM wheels are incompatible. Unless they have been modified.

Source straight from Tesla (ignore the tires): Model 3 19" Sport Wheel and Winter Tire Package

There were verifications that 19" OEM rims are incompatible posted here on TMC in the past. I don't know if Tesla recently made 19" wheels an option for Performance variant.

I agree that there are aftermarket options, as I went with aftermarket solution.

Reactions: jbcarioca