Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

P3D+ vs. P3D- Top Speed

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Jedi2155

Model 3 has Arrived.
Jul 6, 2018
Upland, CA
So I've still been wracking myself over whether I made the right decision to go with a P3D-. After hearing a few people reporting they got AWD models when they ordered Performance models (without the PUO), then was fixed with a firmware update makes me a bit concerned.

Did Tesla actually do the double burn-in and sort for the highest sigma output if they are "randomly" updating AWD models to Performance? I mean most of are already under the impression is a software "unlock" minus the binning part. It makes me wonder if this is part of the reason Track Mode was not put in for the P3D- models.

Also their website is still confusing as to whether the P3D- can do 145 or 155 MPH. The Trim options imply 155 mph with the stock chassis, but the options page states you need the upgraded package for the 155 MPH.

• Funny
Reactions: P85_DA
o their website is still confusing as to whether the P3D- can do 145 or 155 MPH

Lol u live in LA/OC does this really matter ??:eek: ..i read most of your back and forth threads on decision u should have gone all the way with P3D+ or the AWD the latter offers way more performance/value ..just pick a car and enjoy don’t let these little things spin u up

Reactions: M109Rider
So I've still been wracking myself over whether I made the right decision to go with a P3D-. After hearing a few people reporting they got AWD models when they ordered Performance models (without the PUO), then was fixed with a firmware update makes me a bit concerned.

Did Tesla actually do the double burn-in and sort for the highest sigma output if they are "randomly" updating AWD models to Performance? I mean most of are already under the impression is a software "unlock" minus the binning part. It makes me wonder if this is part of the reason Track Mode was not put in for the P3D- models.

Also their website is still confusing as to whether the P3D- can do 145 or 155 MPH. The Trim options imply 155 mph with the stock chassis, but the options page states you need the upgraded package for the 155 MPH.

I've been suspicious since P3D- launch that they were identical to AWD cars. PERHAPS there is a FW identification code that indicates if the motors in the car passed additional testing.

Do you have a source for the information that owners have had their AWD cars turned into P3 with a software switch being flipped remotely?

Quite a few people here are under the impression that there are hardware differences between the models but it's looking increasingly likely that P3D- and AWD are the same thing other than software limits.

I'm sure P3D is exciting, but honestly the AWD 3 already shames my 340xi and that was a VERY fast car. There's just no where for me around here to get the extra $9,000 worth of excitement that P3D costs. I'd rather spend the money on things like ceramic coating the car.

• Love
The most convincing argument with the idea of the binning and burn in has to do with matching of the silicon carbide inverters since their performance is impacted by heat and matching should help.

I'm under the inpression about saving the $5k and putting towards PPF and ceramic.

• Love
Since I"m usually posting from my phone, a slight update to the post above since I past my 60 minute edit time.

The most convincing story I've heard on the truth of binning and burn in has to do with matching of the silicon carbide FETs within the inverters. Silicon transistors as any PC enthusiast understand, have significant variation in their performance from batch to batch and can by dramatically impacted by heat.

I'm betting the "sorting" and pairing of the FETs within the H-Bridge has some impact on the inverter performance as well.

In regards to the upgrade packaged under the same impression about saving the $5k and putting it towards PPF and ceramic. I'll just get my brakes painted, and aftermarket pads + spoiler for that "+" look.

Since I"m usually posting from my phone, a slight update to the post above since I past my 60 minute edit time.

The most convincing story I've heard on the truth of binning and burn in has to do with matching of the silicon carbide FETs within the inverters. Silicon transistors as any PC enthusiast understand, have significant variation in their performance from batch to batch and can by dramatically impacted by heat.

I'm betting the "sorting" and pairing of the FETs within the H-Bridge has some impact on the inverter performance as well.

In regards to the upgrade packaged under the same impression about saving the $5k and putting it towards PPF and ceramic. I'll just get my brakes painted, and aftermarket pads + spoiler for that "+" look.

I thought you reported that there were cases reported where owners have taken delivery of P3D- cars that were set to AWD and somehow got them unlocked. Is that the case and if so where are those accounts being reported?

That would pretty much be the proof that all AWD cars and P3D- cars are probably the same physically at the component level.

I thought you reported that there were cases reported where owners have taken delivery of P3D- cars that were set to AWD and somehow got them unlocked. Is that the case and if so where are those accounts being reported?

That would pretty much be the proof that all AWD cars and P3D- cars are probably the same physically at the component level.

Right, so there is sorting/binning as reported by Elon on his Twitter (the only confirmed source).

Then there has been a few delivery reports on forums and on facebook saying their AWD was converted to performance after a software update (i'll look them up later if desired).

My issue is how can they confirm your drive train was a binned/sorted model vs. just a AWD that has been unlocked for 0-60 for 3.5s?

I wouldnt be surprised if the binned models are only on the "+" package. Still, it doesnt impact me in reality, I just wish there was more clarity on this subject which we wont get from Tesla.

Right, so there is sorting/binning as reported by Elon on his Twitter (the only confirmed source).

Then there has been a few delivery reports on forums and on facebook saying their AWD was converted to performance after a software update (i'll look them up later if desired).

My issue is how can they confirm your drive train was a binned/sorted model vs. just a AWD that has been unlocked for 0-60 for 3.5s?

I wouldnt be surprised if the binned models are only on the "+" package. Still, it doesnt impact me in reality, I just wish there was more clarity on this subject which we wont get from Tesla.

Yeah, assuming there is an 'op code' or flag in the device information on which motors it has I don't think we'll ever have access to it.

The proof there even is such a code is if someone is supposed to have P3D-, has AWD delivered and Tesla says we can't flip the switch you need a new VIN. That would be proof that there are AWD cars out there that are not binned for P3D-.

... their website is still confusing as to whether the P3D- can do 145 or 155 MPH. The Trim options imply 155 mph with the stock chassis, but the options page states you need the upgraded package for the 155 MPH.
To me the solution is clear. I suggest that come this weekend (delivery deities willing) you find yourself a safe place, test it out, and report back.

• Funny
To me the solution is clear. I suggest that come this weekend (delivery deities willing) you find yourself a safe place, test it out, and report back.

If I lived in TX, I think I could find such a safe space but not so easy here in SoCal haha. From the 0-140mph test on the Bonneville salt flats I think you need about 3-5 miles of traffic free nice roads to test it out

Yeah, assuming there is an 'op code' or flag in the device information on which motors it has I don't think we'll ever have access to it.

The proof there even is such a code is if someone is supposed to have P3D-, has AWD delivered and Tesla says we can't flip the switch you need a new VIN. That would be proof that there are AWD cars out there that are not binned for P3D-.

I feel like both scenarios have been reported. I need to start tracking these stories and following up with them more lol.

If I lived in TX, I think I could find such a safe space but not so easy here in SoCal haha. From the 0-140mph test on the Bonneville salt flats I think you need about 3-5 miles of traffic free nice roads to test it out

I feel like both scenarios have been reported. I need to start tracking these stories and following up with them more lol.

Make a spreadsheet? Yeach.

I'm sure P3D- is fun, but the one I bought is already crazy fast. About the only reason I can see for getting the faster one is a combination of giggle factor and then just destroying performance cars in stop light drag races, which, with my luck would end up with me getting a huge violation for speed contest and a big slap on the wrist from the local po po.

I just got the 2019.12.1.1 update on my P3D Stealth. Top speed bump to 162mph confirmed.
IMG_20190430_192958.jpg

• Love
Reactions: Jeffers0n