Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

P3D vs S100D ?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sorry to hear about your totaled S and I hope nobody was hurt.

I haven’t tried a Raven S yet, but coming from a classic S90D with smart air suspension to a P3D, the S was more quiet than my 3.

Against my friends 2018 S100D, my P3D is a bit quicker than his S. I think you need to test drive both to figure out if you like the “less plush” ride of the 3, but I like the gocart feel of the 3.

S did an AMAZING job, no body damage, not even a scratch, but the collision was pretty bad.

I haven’t tried a Raven S yet, but coming from a classic S90D with smart air suspension to a P3D, the S was more quiet than my 3
Quiet is important, I suspect that the difference with Raven S is going to be even bigger.
However, we drove a Raven X today and it was such a noisy car :(

Against my friends 2018 S100D, my P3D is a bit quicker than his S. I think you need to test drive both to figure out if you like the “less plush” ride of the 3, but I like the gocart feel of the 3.
Yeah, the numbers say that P3D is just 0.4 sec faster than S100D, which is not a big difference.
Will test both on Monday.

The P3D seats were also better for me and the handling is a big difference between the two. P3D is way more nimble but the suspension is harsher for sure. The Adaptive suspension soaks up pot holes like a champ on the S. Very different cars. It's like a BMW 5 series vs a 3 series.

I haven’t tried a Raven S yet, but coming from a classic S90D with smart air suspension to a P3D, the S was more quiet than my 3.

I have driven the top performance 3 and a new S, but not the 100. I like the way dmd2005 put it. The 3 is slightly quicker and nimbler, it is more of a gocart feel. I wonder how the 3 would be on longer trips. I also found the seats a bit uncomfortable. The 3 was somewhat more fun to drive, but I wondered if in the long run and S would be more satisfying. Still have not made up my mind.

S did an AMAZING job, no body damage, not even a scratch, but the collision was pretty bad.

Quiet is important, I suspect that the difference with Raven S is going to be even bigger.
However, we drove a Raven X today and it was such a noisy car :(

Yeah, the numbers say that P3D is just 0.4 sec faster than S100D, which is not a big difference.
Will test both on Monday.

Actually, 0.4 seconds to 60 is a HUGE difference. Not in absolute terms, but the difference in what it takes to do that is marked, and will definitely make a big difference in day to day driving.

The Performance will likely be noiser due to tires. You could change out them (I immediately put on 19's because the roads here are horrible and I didn't want to bend the wheels), and go with less of a performance oriented tire to help alleviate that.

I took an S home for a day about 18 months ago. Personally, the ergonomics didn't work for me, but loved the way the car drove. But the 3 is like an ungodly fast sports car. Much more nimble, and feels a lot lighter (though it isn't exactly light!). I'd suggest you try to spend some time driving one to see if you prefer the dynamics over teh S. They are really very different cars.

Reactions: Green_Light
This question comes up so much. They both are amazing cars. Sold my S75 two years ago to help with the purchase of the Model X. Hope to some day own another S however I feel I owe it to myself to test drive a model 3 first. If I did purchase an S again, I would love to purchase the P100D. Who knows, in a few years, there may be the P100d+ available with the wide body kit.

@Green_Light what you thought? I just got back from long trip in AWD model 3 and I find seats very comfortable. Of course we all have different preferences. Get performance model 3 as there might be Ludacris mode coming.
3 feels like a downgrade after S with air or Raven suspension. The seats were tolerable (10 min drive), but the ride is not as luxurious.
Will probably go with another S100D, its 3.6 sec is really fast enough.

Reactions: pilotSteve
You'll need to test drive. You'll know right away. They're very different cars. Personally I love the 3 and hate my family member's PS100DL [not Raven]. I'm sure the raven is better but it's not going to change the whole thing. I've taken very long road trips with my 3 and love every second of it. As mentioned earlier in this thread, are you a 3 series person or a 5 series person? I'm a 3 series person all day and personally think the Model 3 is a better overall car than the Model S. Newer design, superior interior, faster charging, and a much more enjoyable drive. I do understand my last sentence will be harshly judged. lol Go for a test drive, you'll know which car to get immediately.

Best of luck!

-Gene

3 feels like a downgrade after S with air or Raven suspension. The seats were tolerable (10 min drive), but the ride is not as luxurious.
Will probably go with another S100D, its 3.6 sec is really fast enough.

Cool, i guess you answered your own question which is better for you. Likely with suspension on new Raven Model S it will be better. Unless you wanted smaller car, then you can buy aftermarket suspension for Model 3 to make a ride a bit smoother.

• Disagree
Reactions: N54TT
So curious how folks react, I'm nothing but pleased to not have air suspension in my car.. and I like how the 3 rides..
Oh man, different folks different strokes. I did not like the air suspension in S100D in some cases, but Raven is SO awesome. Just go try it out and you will see. I concur what others have said.

Tesla has given us S P100D till tomorrow and it's very serious stuff, I must tell you. Somebody on this forum was right that P100D is for those who don't mind abusing their neck discs... It's too tough of a car...

Get performance model 3 as there might be Ludacris mode coming.
This is a horrible reason to buy a Model 3 Performance now, based on (a) optimistic rumor and (b) Tesla's history.

Examples for (b):
- All vehicles will get 120 kW supercharging (reality: not if you have an A battery pack).
- There were at least 3 variants of P90D battery packs (related directly to Ludicrous introduction). None of them allows the car to perform to published specs consistently without removing weight or making other modifications.

Well, I went and checked out the 3 again. I just found it unacceptably uncomfortable. The S, on the other hand, I find very comfortable. Interesting how different people find different cars uncomfortable or not. I have back trouble and am over 6', but my girlfriend also found the 3 uncomfortable, does not have back trouble, and is 5'2". We are both in our 60's, so maybe that is the explanation. But the S does not handle as well as the 3 or as well as my Porsche Cayenne Turbo (but can out-accelerate the latter). I drove an S rated as 0-60 in 4.2 seconds. I love great acceleration, but I have to say 4.2 seconds is good enough for me. I have heard, and can believe, that the faster S's actually make people nauseous. The unanswered question is how much better an S would handle with 21" wheels and tires. I have not tried that.

Reactions: Green_Light
Well, I went and checked out the 3 again. I just found it unacceptably uncomfortable. The S, on the other hand, I find very comfortable. Interesting how different people find different cars uncomfortable or not. I have back trouble and am over 6', but my girlfriend also found the 3 uncomfortable, does not have back trouble, and is 5'2". We are both in our 60's, so maybe that is the explanation. But the S does not handle as well as the 3 or as well as my Porsche Cayenne Turbo (but can out-accelerate the latter). I drove an S rated as 0-60 in 4.2 seconds. I love great acceleration, but I have to say 4.2 seconds is good enough for me. I have heard, and can believe, that the faster S's actually make people nauseous. The unanswered question is how much better an S would handle with 21" wheels and tires. I have not tried that.
Yes, very nauseous. This week I drove P100D (19") in the morning and in the evening and found that it makes me nauseous all the time (I floor cars). I got really beaten up by my sit! I really wanted to love Ludicrous, but it's just too much for Chicago, you will hurt your neck, you will get a bunch of tickets, you will get nauseous, you are more likely to hit somebody. Plus, you will definitely forget to put the car in the valet mode every once in a while and guess what parking people will do?

If you have $, definitrly try S Long Range, it's noticeably faster than your 4.2, but still manageable and safe. Ludicrous is just out of control!

You'll need to test drive. You'll know right away. They're very different cars. Personally I love the 3 and hate my family member's PS100DL [not Raven]. I'm sure the raven is better but it's not going to change the whole thing. I've taken very long road trips with my 3 and love every second of it. As mentioned earlier in this thread, are you a 3 series person or a 5 series person? I'm a 3 series person all day and personally think the Model 3 is a better overall car than the Model S. Newer design, superior interior, faster charging, and a much more enjoyable drive. I do understand my last sentence will be harshly judged. lol Go for a test drive, you'll know which car to get immediately.

Best of luck!

-Gene
Another 3 advantage: The Model 3 feels far more secure to park in a normal parking spot. This is important.
I had an S85 for 31/2 years. Always parked in a 'safe-from-dings' spot - usually on the far side of the parking lot. This was a regular hassle. Due to the width of the S, it is absolutely necessary. I imagine the future S100D+, being wider still, will be even more challenging.
My Model 3 is noticeably narrower. I only have to choose a normal spot that is 'wide enough'. Except for really chintzy parking lot layouts, most parking spots are wide enough to avoid damage from the adjacent car. After a year, so far, so good.

Reactions: phantasms
First, I'm glad you guys weren't hurt and sorry to hear that you totaled your S. Second, let me qualify my opinion:

I've recently driven both the Raven LR Dual Motor for about 100 miles and the Performance M3 for about 60 miles with multiple pedal to the metal launches. Both cars owned by friends'.

I have also been driving my model S 60D with spring suspension for the past 70k + miles and 3+ years and have driven our 2019 pre-raven MX 100D cross country and back (7,300 miles) last month.

That said,

If I was in your shoes, I'd stick with the S. The Raven S is so much quieter and so much more refined than my coil sprung S, but not so much when compared to my May 2019 build, pre-raven X. The Gen 2 seats are also far more comfortable than the seats in the 3.

The 3 is a fun car to have as a second (weekend canyon carver) or third vehicle, but for daily driving - IMHO, the Raven S will be my choice.

Obviously, in a perfect world, having S-3-X in your garage is the way to go! :p

:)

Reactions: phantasms