Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

P3D with Performance Upgrade and Black Interior status

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As some sort of consolation prize... looks like the biggest batch yet of Blue AWD VINS hit today. Perhaps of sign of production picking up? At the rate the spreadsheet is filling in for P and AWD cars though.... I'm still scratching my head on how they were saying at one point that a brand new Performance car would only take 1-2 months... meanwhile I'm about to hit 2 months no contact after ordering as a reservation holder and owner. And at the rate these cars are filling in the spreadsheet currently, could be November before I see my car.
Maddening isn't it? I talked to my Tesla engineer friend about performance model production. He doesn't know (or at least won't say) :(

As some sort of consolation prize... looks like the biggest batch yet of Blue AWD VINS hit today. Perhaps of sign of production picking up? At the rate the spreadsheet is filling in for P and AWD cars though.... I'm still scratching my head on how they were saying at one point that a brand new Performance car would only take 1-2 months... meanwhile I'm about to hit 2 months no contact after ordering as a reservation holder and owner. And at the rate these cars are filling in the spreadsheet currently, could be November before I see my car.

Like @Leodoc I'm in a dark place right now myself... driving home I passed two amazing looking model 3s... made me excited and angry at the same time... Happy for the new owners, but screaming in my head "Where's MY car?" Spoiled I know... sometimes just have to vent

Totally with you. I remember not too long ago reading about you getting your order in like 11 hours before me, thinking "man that dude is so lucky! We're both owners, both early reservation holders... he got his order in like 11 hours before me. I wonder how many days behind him that puts me for delivery???" LAUGHING at that now, seeing non-owners, much later reservation &/or order placers get delivery while we sit here with our hands in our pants.

I do honestly think that once the first reports of ISA contact to P3D+/BlackInterior starts happening, they'll be lots of us getting notification soon thereafter. The VIN registrations suggest this will happen 3rd to 4th week of August. Hopefully for delivery in mid-late Sept. Chin up!

Like @Leodoc I'm in a dark place right now myself... driving home I passed two amazing looking model 3s... made me excited and angry at the same time... Happy for the new owners, but screaming in my head "Where's MY car?" Spoiled I know... sometimes just have to vent

It definitely looks like they're producing Blue P3D's with white interior right now. A couple days ago I got "almost ready to be delivered", and I lost the ability to edit.

I was a little perplexed as I just turned my reservation into an actual order on July 31st, and I didn't expect the car till closer to the end of the year. My main motivation for ordering versus waiting was fear of missing out on the full tax credit. Plus all the good reviews of the P3D pushed me over the fence.

It doesn't seem like anything (reservation date, previous history, etc) plays any relevance in when a person gets the car other than the configuration itself.

Personally I wouldn't change an order for timing alone simply because odds are they're start building your exact configuration the moment you switch.

What's kinda funny is I may have canceled the order had it not gone into production. I'm not really happy with what Elon has been doing of late. I'm also really happy with my 70D, and I'm going to be a bit jealous of who gets it after me. So now I have do the whole parting ways thing with a car I love to drive. It's metallic blue with black interior.

Can you explain the VIN registration part? How does that suggest P3D+ with black interior will be built soon?

1) Look at the number of AWD VIN reg from the last 7-9 days. (lots)
2) Know the VIN register to ISA contact ave. time (about 3 weeks)
3) Compare that number to the # of AWD VIN registered so far.
4) Compare the number of P3+/Black to the rest of AWD orders based on Troy's sheet.

Taken in sum, the VIN registered in the last 7-9 days have about 2 weeks before they manifest into ISA contact. The number/rate of AWD is higher than ever (as expected) and there CAN'T be that many more white interiors to fulfill.

• Informative
Reactions: CrazyCoconut
Hang in there @cbutters, I'm in the same boat. Ordered P3D MSM, Black 6/26 just like you. The only difference is I currently have a Model S and you have a Model X. :)

Maybe they're waiting on black seats that match some design change specific to the P3D models. (And that's why they're only shipping white seats since they already have this "design change.")

Hang in there @cbutters, I'm in the same boat. Ordered P3D MSM, Black 6/26 just like you. The only difference is I currently have a Model S and you have a Model X. :)

Maybe they're waiting on black seats that match some design change specific to the P3D models. (And that's why they're only shipping white seats since they already have this "design change.")
me too.

if we park next to each other and walk to our cars at the same time, what's the odds of getting into the right car? lol

Reactions: bradhs
I think we need to grapple with the issue that Tesla probably has 15,000 P cars on order (4% of all orders). Currently 20% of cars built are P cars. If tesla builds 20,000 cars per month that's only 4,000 cars per month, so it will take almost 4 months to work off that backlog.

It definitely looks like they're producing Blue P3D's with white interior right now. A couple days ago I got "almost ready to be delivered", and I lost the ability to edit.

I was a little perplexed as I just turned my reservation into an actual order on July 31st, and I didn't expect the car till closer to the end of the year. My main motivation for ordering versus waiting was fear of missing out on the full tax credit. Plus all the good reviews of the P3D pushed me over the fence.

It doesn't seem like anything (reservation date, previous history, etc) plays any relevance in when a person gets the car other than the configuration itself.

Personally I wouldn't change an order for timing alone simply because odds are they're start building your exact configuration the moment you switch.

What's kinda funny is I may have canceled the order had it not gone into production. I'm not really happy with what Elon has been doing of late. I'm also really happy with my 70D, and I'm going to be a bit jealous of who gets it after me. So now I have do the whole parting ways thing with a car I love to drive. It's metallic blue with black interior.
they are - my friend just took delivery monday

I think we need to grapple with the issue that Tesla probably has 15,000 P cars on order (4% of all orders). Currently 20% of cars built are P cars. If tesla builds 20,000 cars per month that's only 4,000 cars per month, so it will take almost 4 months to work off that backlog.

i tend to agree with that estimate, the more time goes by. shows how difficult it is for them to get this thing going. from the beginning, they probably solved 1000s of problems, but have 100s more to deal with still. as long as they apply what they learn, next time will be that much smoother. and different issues will arise that will need to be tackled.

I saw a post on the Tesla reddit (was buried in the commments somewhere) that AWD’s were not being produced this week due to part shortages. This was told to them by someone at Tesla. Don’t know the validity of this claim, but what’s another week right? Obviously they’re saving that best P+s for last!

• Informative
Reactions: CrazyCoconut
Obviously they’re saving that best P+s for last!

That's actually one thing that keeps me sane... The initial P+ were pushed through fairly quickly on a brand new untested assembly line which means they were still figuring things out. This isn't to say there is anything wrong with current P+ models delivered, but we all know the longer time goes on the more problems are worked out of the system the more solid the quality is.

Reactions: bradhs
I saw a post on the Tesla reddit (was buried in the commments somewhere) that AWD’s were not being produced this week due to part shortages. This was told to them by someone at Tesla. Don’t know the validity of this claim, but what’s another week right? Obviously they’re saving that best P+s for last!
Wait a second... Didn't Fred Lambert say his car was going into production this week? That's contradictory to this new tidbit.

That's actually one thing that keeps me sane... The initial P+ were pushed through fairly quickly on a brand new untested assembly line which means they were still figuring things out. This isn't to say there is anything wrong with current P+ models delivered, but we all know the longer time goes on the more problems are worked out of the system the more solid the quality is.
Whatever we have to tell ourselves to sleep at night I suppose :( What's worse is that the Model 3 Tracker shows avg VIN to delivery time for TX is 24 days, which means I'm at least one month away from getting my car.

Whatever we have to tell ourselves to sleep at night I suppose :( What's worse is that the Model 3 Tracker shows avg VIN to delivery time for TX is 24 days, which means I'm at least one month away from getting my car.

At this point, some deliveries are already set for early September, so I’m guessing it’ll be mid to late September before any of us get our cars.

Well, 4% of global orders would be 15,000. Only the US and Canada can order now, 4% of that is probably closer to 8000 assuming the 4% number is accurate.

Reactions: preilly44
So I stopped by my location service center/sales center/supercharger. I needed a little juice while driving my model X home. I decided to stop inside, play with the 3, and inquire about test driving one

They recently got their performance test drive car. MSM,p+, white interior. I'll be going next Thursday to give it a spin... I'm not sure if it will scratch my itch and help me wait for my order ou if it will worsen my impatience. We'll see!