Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

P3D-

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I spoke too soon:
Screen Shot 2019-04-22 at 7.22.40 PM.png

Depends entirely on what you mean by "upgrade" as there's a lot of, quite different, answers based on that.

For example for performance in a straight line, or efficiency, you might want as-light-as-possible 18s in the stock width... (though the benefits will be pretty slight) while for non-straight track performance you might want the same thing except with a 9-9.5" width to run 265s though efficiency will suffer... for people who don't care about performance or efficiency but have looks criteria the answer is likely some kinda 19 or 20 inch wheel.

Thanks for this. Thinking about this more I still have the 18" stock tires that came with the car. I may use those and buy rims that fit the stock just to save some bucks. What size/bolt pattern should I be looking for? As a noob anything to look out for when purchasing new rims, any red flags to look out for?

Also, any good site to see the rims on a model 3? I saw something like that at Discount Tire when I was there, they popped up a model 3 and just swapped out rims on the image to get an idea of what they look for. Thanks for all the advice, can't wait to get my car back from the shop and get some new rims on her!

Thanks for this. Thinking about this more I still have the 18" stock tires that came with the car. I may use those and buy rims that fit the stock just to save some bucks. What size/bolt pattern should I be looking for? As a noob anything to look out for when purchasing new rims, any red flags to look out for?

Also, any good site to see the rims on a model 3? I saw something like that at Discount Tire when I was there, they popped up a model 3 and just swapped out rims on the image to get an idea of what they look for. Thanks for all the advice, can't wait to get my car back from the shop and get some new rims on her!

The P3D+ has to worry about rims that fit the 3mm extended hub lip, but the P3D- has no such worries... bolt pattern is 5x114.3... if you want to reuse the stock 18" tires those are 235-45/18s so you'll want a rim between 8-9 inches wide (8.5 is the width of the stock 18s... 9 is as wide as you can go and have the 235s be within spec and 9 can also handle 265/40s if you ever wish to go that route, but 18x9 seems a lot less common a rim size)

• Informative
Reactions: silentcorp