Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

P85 1/8 Mile Drag Times and Rookie Observations

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

walla2

Jul 15, 2012
So I went to my first ever test and tune at the 1/8 mile drag strip in Walla Walla. My 2012 Sig P85 was super easy to drag, and I got some decent times including my best reaction time of 0.007 seconds (range 0.007 to 0.215) and only 1 red light in about 10 runs. I think everyone was impressed with the power of the car. I just repeated runs over and over again too showing it can handle the runs over and over again. Got a lot of "that Tesla car snuck up on us again" at the line or "wow that was pretty fast for an electric." Of course, there were faster non-street legals and some ungodly motorcycle mods, but sadly very few street legal cars to drag against.

Observations:
1. Go low: Added 3mph to drop the car to low height.
2. Don't be creepy: Turn off creep, pull up to the first stage and then second stage and then focus all efforts to the right foot.
3. Expect to wear a helmet: first run they didn't make me. Second they did.
4. Charge fully: I only lost 3-4 miles of rated range per 1/8 mile but performance will be better.
5. Expect consistency: Dial-ins might be really good in this car. After 10 100% runs, I lost minimal range, and I was very consistent on my times (all at around 8 seconds) and speed (85 (std height) - 89.9 (low) MPH.
6. Traction: Traction control was necessary in my car. Dodge the water if you have regular tires on.

These of course are observations from a rookie but a rookie that had a ton of fun on Saturday.

That's the right drag strip. Righat next to the airport. Sadly there are limited charge options in Walla Walla still and none at the drag strip but my house is only 1.5 miles away.