Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

P85 Actual Range...I am getting much less

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For those first experiencing in winter, take heart: you'll be amazed how much better as it warms. The biggest factors that affect: cold, speed. If you are driving in north in winter and like to go fast, you'll seldom beat 400. But if you really want to improve range, you can. Slow down, preheat, conserve hvac, maximize regen. In FL, just slow down.

Mostly highway miles up and down the east coast, I traded my P85 in with pretty low Wh/mi.

320 Wh/mi life average over 22k miles. This includes a few of trips to the drag strip, some pretty aggressive in-town driving, among other things. 19" Cyclones w/all seasons.

On my last NJ<->FL trip with the P85 I averaged 312 Wh/mi.

Long story short... after checking the obvious like tire pressure and such, just have Tesla check it out.

Edit: Here is the last pic I took of my dash on the P85, the day before trading, at the Newark, DE supercharger after driving from Glen Allen, VA supercharger. (My trip A on the P85 got reset accidentally sometime in the first month of ownership...)

2014-12-21 15.51.54-1920.jpg

For comparison, my fiance's P85 has 21" w/summer tires... and she has a bit of a lead foot. But her life average is still around 350Wh/mi, with highway range comparable to my P85. Here is a shot after our 100+ mile P85D/P85 efficiency side by side:
View attachment 71396

Last edited:
You have probably never had this car on an expressway, and driving in NYC at 20-30 mph or stuck in traffic will get you down to around 300. :smile:

NYC would be much better than that with its flat roads
:)
I live in Rockland County, 20mil north of NYC
Lots of hills and 45-55 speed limits
So yes, my commute is in 40-50mph range
However, my lifetime average is 50/50 local roads vs. freeways with following energy breakdown:
Hwy (60-65mph) ~ 295-315
Local(30-55mph) ~ 260-285

P.S. Look at my sig. i'm on even wider tires than stock 21s

Last edited:
South Florida is very flat and temperatures are warm, so I can only compare my summer energy consumption against the OP's. With my S85, I easily get 300 and sometimes even sub 300 Wh/mi driving 70 MPH on flat highways. On those same roads in winter I will see 330 to 400 on longer trips and much higher on shorter trips just due to the cabin and pack heating.

Couldn't agree more tomas!....especially for new EV drivers..

For those first experiencing in winter, take heart: you'll be amazed how much better as it warms. The biggest factors that affect: cold, speed. If you are driving in north in winter and like to go fast, you'll seldom beat 400. But if you really want to improve range, you can. Slow down, preheat, conserve hvac, maximize regen. In FL, just slow down.

P85 here in the southwest.

Lifetime average is currently 294 Wh/mi and dropping. It was 292 Wh/mi before my 1,500 mile road trip to California and back where the temps were a bit lower and we drove above 75 MPH. Last week after being upgraded to .140 by my service center, I drove the 50 miles back home at 75 MPH and achieved 284 Wh/mi during that trip (no HVAC used). I have 19" Primacy tires, which are low rolling resistance and improve range over the 19" Goodyears that Tesla had previously included.

The biggest efficiency factor in my driving is the rate of acceleration. If you limit your acceleration in most circumstances to be at or below 40 kW, you will see a big jump in efficiency.

P85+ w/ over 40k miles. Averaging 325 wh/hr with 21" PS2 tires. Normal street driving, I get around 290 - 320 wh/hr. Freeway driving around 70+ mph, 330 wh/hr with AC running all the time. Spirited driving on freeway is 350 wh/hr. Average temps at this time is around 55 degrees F. I had a bad alignment from Tesla before, and my average used to be 350 wh/hr to 370 wh/hr. After having them correct it, it dropped pretty significantly.

With regards to efficiency, I do not think there is any measureable difference between a P85 and a regular S85. The only measureable efficiency differences between the P85 and S85 (given the same driving style, climate, terrain etc.) will be based on the wheels and tires being used. My average after a bit over 20,000 miles for my Signature P85 with 19" aero wheels is at 250 Wh/mile and still going down. My wife's P85 with about 17,000 miles and 19" aero wheels, the last I checked, was at 286 Wh/mi. The main difference between our efficencies being the driving styles of the 2 different drivers. Obviously we are both efficient drivers, I just take it another step than she does.

from the postings here AND I was reading the thread mentioned above, LIFETIME Wh/Mi, it appears that it may be all about driving habits. And testing some of the thoughts mentioned in the thread I tried to be much slower off the line at stops. It does reduce the Wh/mi. I was able to get it down to around 330 yesterday. Still my concern would be on a long trip, where I was using the Cruise Control and yet on Florida's level and warm roads the usage is still in the 350 range that would reduce RR by about 15%. I have another trip planned for the beginning of March and will test my light foot at that time. Oh, one thing I did notice is that on my return trip I had my son driving, and the car DID NOT lower at 55 as I have it programmed. That would be a function of the driver profile so the car was at a mid stance on that trip. That was an interesting item noticed.