TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

P85 Badging?

Discussion in 'Model S: Interior & Exterior' started by jhs_7645, Dec 2, 2012.

1. jhs_7645

jhs_7645 VIN: #3305

I'm curious, with some production performance 85kWh cars being shipped if anybody has taken note of whether it has the 'P85' badge or not. IIRC, there was debate some time ago on the forums as to whether this was going to be on production cars or not.

2. FlasherZ

FlasherZ Sig Model S + Sig Model X + Model 3 Resv

It does not. It was scrapped after Jurvetson's car.

(I rather liked it.)

3. SCW-Greg

SCW-Greg Active Member

+1
    Good I suppose if you're an owner of a 40 or 60 kWh battery pack, as they all look the same (except for possible wheel and wing differences). But for those with a P85, it's missed bragging rights, and improved resale value. IMO

4. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

I'm with the group that's glad they scrapped the idea. Two reasons: (1) it's a bit garish stylistically and (2) I kinda of like not advertising the vehicle's price/value for would-be thieves.

5. EarlyAdopter

EarlyAdopter Active Member

Those would have to be some pretty sophisticated thieves, since there's no ignition to hotwire, no starter motor to rig. It's all computer controlled requiring an RFID key to be present. Not saying it would be impossible to steal a Model S, but I think the only thefts we'll ever see are cases where someone left their key in the car.

As far as advertising for smash and grabs for contents inside, the car's shape will do that all by itself. I don't think badging will make one bit of difference.

Personally, I wish Tesla had developed a nice, subtle-but-present badge for the performance model, much like the BMW M logo, or Audi S logo.

6. byt

byt Member

I also wish there was some sort of exterior Performance Badging. We pay a premium for it, should be indicated IMHO.

7. Jason S

Jason S Model S Sig Perf (P85)

Maybe they could provide a carbon fiber fin or something... :wink:

Perfectly happy with the non badging on our perf. Wouldn't care at all if later cars had badging.

8. artsci

artsci Sponsor

If you want to badge your Model S your might try this site: EmblemArt Store | Chrome Letters and Numbers, No minimum Order You can buy letters and numbers to suit your own taste.

9. darthy001

darthy001 Love my car, hope Tesla can get as great!

I would very much like the option of having the P85-badge on my car. Cant see any problem for those not wanting it. Most car manufacturers give you a choice of "removing" badging at no cost when ordering a custom car from them. At least VW, BMW, Audi etc do so as standard.

Having the P85-badge would be nice for me at least, but I also like to see the AMG/M3/M5/M6/S4/RS4/Etc-badges on other brands performance cars. I simply feel it gives the cars some extra "oomph, oh yes I'm special"-feel as compared to the more standard motorised versions of the cars that looks more or less the same.. Most people dont recognize it, but the people in the know acknowledge it right away. I'm not going for the CF-spoiler since I like the look of the car better without it so there goes the only styling-cue visible on the outside of the car.

10. Johan

Johan Took a TSLA bear test. Came back negative.

As Rick James would say:

rICHBITCH.png

:smile:

I wan't badging too!

11. EarlyAdopter

EarlyAdopter Active Member

Anyone handy with graphic design? I want some Go Faster stripes for my Model S, too.

Bmw_M_logo.png

Audi_S4_logo.jpg

12. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

Didn't get very far with the stripe motif, but some fun with SVG..

TGradient.png

13. Grendal

Grendal Active Member

It's on Elon's car too. I didn't realize the P85 had color on it until I saw it on Elon's car.

- - - Updated - - -

Put that on the hood like the old Firebirds.

14. jhs_7645

jhs_7645 VIN: #3305

Can you imagine how fast the performance S would go if it had Stripes *and* the P all leaning to the right?

Boggles the mind. :)

15. FlasherZ

FlasherZ Sig Model S + Sig Model X + Model 3 Resv

Don't forget yellow. It's well-known that each component of the car that is painted yellow gives an additional 5 HP.

16. doug

doug Administrator / Head Moderator

I though they were keeping the P85, and what they got rid of was the ambiguous "Phase Current Amplification" or whatever it was.

17. Laurent

Laurent Member

18. Anzir

Anzir Member

+1. Was there a reason it was dropped? I'd rather have the badge and be able to take it off (e.g. with carefully used dental floss) than not have the option at all.

19. gg_got_a_tesla

gg_got_a_tesla Model S: VIN P65513, Model 3 Res Holder

They ran out of chrome?! :tongue:

Seriously, as I recall, the reaction back then - when Jurvetson's car was delivered - on these forums was very mixed with folks dissecting the "Phase Current Amplification" tagline beneath and such. And, some were worried about telegraphing the price of the car as well with the badge. Tesla may have taken this as appropriate feedback and may have chosen to drop it for good.

20. Oreo

Oreo Member

I'm rather the opposite, I'd rather have no badging and woudn't mind getting rid of the "Model S" badging as well. As long I know I'm driving the Performance version, that's good enough for me.
    I removed all badging on my Saab 95 and that made it look much "cleaner". Besides It also Get people a bit curious of "what kind of car is that?"
    If I do get the Performance, I'll go for thr CF spoiler though. Then Tesla people would know it's a Performance. The P85 badge would not make any sense to people not knowing Tesla anyhow.