Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

P85+ Battery Range @ 90% and 100%

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
64 k miles 90% 225 / 100% 250
...still auto crossing and capacity has been just about completely flat. Definitely notice a little quicker resistance build up under extended loading but 1/4 mile times are still the same as in '13.

My 0-60 times has also not changed since the car was new. I'm curious, though, do you have a method to measure the battery internal resistance somehow?

I don’t, I have a feeling though that the battery is either a little more temperature sensitive or firmware changed regarding that, or neither... The Mobile tech did confirm that there were a couple of parts, like the contactors and another flow pathway( forget what part) that will age and have more resistance over time. They can be replaced and that change will be fixed, but that’s not a battery cell change.

I don’t, I have a feeling though that the battery is either a little more temperature sensitive or firmware changed regarding that, or neither... The Mobile tech did confirm that there were a couple of parts, like the contactors and another flow pathway( forget what part) that will age and have more resistance over time. They can be replaced and that change will be fixed, but that’s not a battery cell change.

It would be interesting to know if the BMS has the ability to do Electrochemical Impedance Spectroscopy (EIS). Using that method you can analyze a battery in interesting ways.

regarding 'temperature sensitivity' - I auto crossed this weekend and did not charge after, leaving my car at 70% ~175 mi on Sunday night. Monday morning I have the first power limit @~240Kw or so, overnight temps were 54F. Did not drive enough to warm up my battery yesterday and the average 24 hr temp was 60F - power limit stayed until I charged this morning. seems more 'finnicky'

• Informative
Reactions: supratachophobia
2014, 40k miles, E pack. 90% - 236, 100% - 262

No change in the last 12k miles since I picked up my CPO.

I spoke a bit too soon - after another 2000 miles, I've gone down a bit. Looks like 90% is now 233, 100% - 258.
Looks like I've stabilized - 13 months and 23k miles later (65k total), I've lost another whopping 3-4 rated miles - 229 @ 90%, 255 @ 100%. Total drop of <4%.

That's very good! Do you remember what your 100% range was when it was brand new?

I got it used 2 years ago so I'm not sure what the prior range was like.

It has the D pack battery and I don't use Superchargers. I typically charge at 30 amp up to 90% then recharge around 20%. I imagine common sense is the key to keeping these batteries healthy. My warranty expires in 3 years so I'm hoping I either never have an issue or battery is replaced under warranty before them. Ideally, I'd like to get a 90-100kw pack in my car for additional range and power but that seems unlikely in the near future.

• Helpful
Reactions: David99
2014 p85+ 101,000 Miles 222@90% and 241@100% 21” wheels.

When I drive it to empty I only get 160 miles with heat on and the kWh used on the trip display only shows 65 out of an 85kwh pack. Where did the other 20kwh go? It is cold up here near buffalo ny and heat is on but wouldn’t that also show in kWh used?

• Informative
Reactions: supratachophobia
2013 P85, ~96k miles. B pack - 208 miles @90%.

Purchased it with 75k miles, CPO. It got 224 miles @90% when I purchased it last year.

Do you guys recommend I bring it up to the Service Center? They've been great in fixing items under warranty thus far, but I haven't brought up any concerns on range yet.