Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

P85 breaks traction so easily

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That's why I got the P85+. For the fun!!! But it also takes some finesse, which has been a good refresher course for me after driving AWD for so long. So, I think it has helped me to become a better driver, actually. I grew up in the old days of RWD-only in the snow. So it brings back memories. Once you learn to feather it, you can control the spin, while having solid acceleration. Then traction control is truly outstanding. So that helps. It really won't let you get in too much trouble. But do not turn it off!!!

I started with Michi PS2's, moved to Hankook Ventus VS 2-whatever..., and am now going to try ContiSportContact™ 5 P Silents for fun.

That's why I got the P85+. For the fun!!! But it also takes some finesse, which has been a good refresher course for me after driving AWD for so long. So, I think it has helped me to become a better driver, actually. I grew up in the old days of RWD-only in the snow. So it brings back memories. Once you learn to feather it, you can control the spin, while having solid acceleration. Then traction control is truly outstanding. So that helps. It really won't let you get in too much trouble. But do not turn it off!!!

I started with Michi PS2's, moved to Hankook Ventus VS 2-whatever..., and am now going to try ContiSportContact™ 5 P Silents for fun.

I've been driving the last few days with traction control off seeing a whole new level of power. Addicted...

• Love
Reactions: CHG-ON

Ps2 vs ventus... Please guide me

That's why I got the P85+. For the fun!!!
I am with you @CHG-ON ! Takes much more skill and finesse to drive the rear drive P85s. Harkens back to the old rear drive German and Italian cars. BTW, the EV GT series uses rear drive (P85+) vehicles. Driven the Ds in many configurations. But they don't get to the point of needing driver control as much as the 2WDs. More fun!

Happy to give you my experience. But I am no pro. There are several sages here: @artsci , @lolachampcar , @whitecotton , @jerry33 . They have guided me so well from the early days, when I knew nothing. Thank you to those who know!

I started with the factory Michi PS2's. Great tires. Burned through them in 9K. I was P-O'ed to say the least. And I wasn't all that terribly aggressive with them. But I do drive mountain roads every day. The Sport Cup 2's are even better and last that much less. So if you ain't trakin', forget it.

I settled with Hankook Ventus V12 evo2's. I have staggered 21's, so no rotation. I simply could not resist buying the wheels. But now that I am adult at 59, I think I may have grown up and would have had some sanity on that decision! I am getting about 18K on the front and still 9-10K in the rear after two sets. I am at 30K on the car and just about to move to my 4th set or rears and 3rd set of fronts. Oy. There goes saving oil or money.

But back to the story. The Hankooks are great tires. @jerry33 recommended them to me when I was in a complete quandary and his advice has proven to be true. They are around $175-ish each, on average and they handle extremely well. They are bit louder than the PS2's. But only very slightly until they get to end of life. They handle like a dream, are very predictable and do shockingly well in rain, even when worn down to the point of replacement. Not sure how they pull that one off. They have less bite at launch than the PS2's. But not by much. I think they are a great buy. I went with 245/35 and 275/30, F/R, and they have been perfect.

I am about to replace all with ContiSportContact 5P Silents, as noted, which will cost 2X more the Hankooks, as I have always wanted to try them. I expect that I will go back to the Hankooks. But it will be fun for the folly, which is why I bought the car!

Hey @CHG-ON you are our test bed for P85+ tires! Keep us informed. I'm still on the PS2s. Replaced the rears at 26K. Fronts are still good. Lots o' freeway driving from Marin to Silicon Valley. No Highway 17 here.
Wow! I can't imagine that range! I know my mountains kill me. But I never thought to that extent. I know I am aggressive. But I honestly don't think I am a crazy man. Maybe I am. And I have toned it down dramatically since getting MS.:rolleyes:

I will definitely share on the Conti's. I plan to have them on in the next couple of week.sw

Are you driving the 275's on the Regular 21 inch Tesla Rims ? I thought I could only put the 265's on those!

Happy to give you my experience. But I am no pro. There are several sages here: @artsci , @lolachampcar , @whitecotton , @jerry33 . They have guided me so well from the early days, when I knew nothing. Thank you to those who know!

I started with the factory Michi PS2's. Great tires. Burned through them in 9K. I was P-O'ed to say the least. And I wasn't all that terribly aggressive with them. But I do drive mountain roads every day. The Sport Cup 2's are even better and last that much less. So if you ain't trakin', forget it.

I settled with Hankook Ventus V12 evo2's. I have staggered 21's, so no rotation. I simply could not resist buying the wheels. But now that I am adult at 59, I think I may have grown up and would have had some sanity on that decision! I am getting about 18K on the front and still 9-10K in the rear after two sets. I am at 30K on the car and just about to move to my 4th set or rears and 3rd set of fronts. Oy. There goes saving oil or money.

But back to the story. The Hankooks are great tires. @jerry33 recommended them to me when I was in a complete quandary and his advice has proven to be true. They are around $175-ish each, on average and they handle extremely well. They are bit louder than the PS2's. But only very slightly until they get to end of life. They handle like a dream, are very predictable and do shockingly well in rain, even when worn down to the point of replacement. Not sure how they pull that one off. They have less bite at launch than the PS2's. But not by much. I think they are a great buy. I went with 245/35 and 275/30, F/R, and they have been perfect.

I am about to replace all with ContiSportContact 5P Silents, as noted, which will cost 2X more the Hankooks, as I have always wanted to try them. I expect that I will go back to the Hankooks. But it will be fun for the folly, which is why I bought the car!

Reactions: steven315
1.I'd like to know if anyone has put something wider than a 245 on a 21" non staggered rim.
2. Does deflating a little help or hurt with grip?
3. Would putting a sand bag or two in the trunk help with the 0-30 and hurt the 30-60? ( also hurt mpg)

please anyone chime in

People will read your title and think P85 is dangerous.

Relatively speaking, P85 breaks traction more easily but Tesla shuts that right down before the car gets remotely sideways. Turn of traction control and it is a different story ;)

Are you driving the 275's on the Regular 21 inch Tesla Rims ? I thought I could only put the 265's on those!
I am in the rear. I have had no problem at all. I actually think I could go to 285 if I wanted to. But I think there might be a lot of sling against the bottom rear quarter panel. I haven't noticed that with the 275's. And one nice feature is that the tire sidewall is a bit more proud of the rim, which might add a bit more protection against a gentle curb rub. I have been thinking of going from 245's to 255's in the front. But I saw one post about some minor rubbing at extreme turning angles with elevation change at the same time, like turning into a tight downhill driveway entrance.

Reactions: steven315 and GJ79
Significantly more grip?

Yeah... much harder to break traction on dry. I like them a lot over the MXM4's without sacrificing energy efficiency too much, and really no sacrifice on noise. Slightly stiffer sidewalls... crashes over bumps well, but stiffer over undulating surfaces. Does cause turn in to be much easier, so everything is shifted... sport is now much closer to normal. I've liked them so far (10k miles).