Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

p85+ comes to life during overnight charge???

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've had it for a couple weeks, and had few issues. But about one or two nights a week, after I park in the garage, plug it in, and lock it - I come out hours later to find it awake and playing music (as if I were siting in the driver seat). The garage is even warm because the A/C has been running and the car's putting out heat.

The keys are stored ~20ft away inside the house. Has anyone else had the same thing happening?

I've had it for a couple weeks, and had few issues. But about one or two nights a week, after I park in the garage, plug it in, and lock it - I come out hours later to find it awake and playing music (as if I were siting in the driver seat). The garage is even warm because the A/C has been running and the car's putting out heat.

The keys are stored ~20ft away inside the house. Has anyone else had the same thing happening?

At one point during 4.3 or 4.4, this happened to me, and it was due to a bug. Rebooting the center console fixed it (it seemed like a memory leak problem or something similar). What software are you running (hit the "T" logo at the top)?

Not 5 minutes later it had already turned itself on again... I should also mention that as I approach the door the handles don't pop out. It seems to believe I'm already inside the car. I had to use either the app or the trunk to get it to unlock. This feels like a bug.

Not 5 minutes later it had already turned itself on again... I should also mention that as I approach the door the handles don't pop out. It seems to believe I'm already inside the car. I had to use either the app or the trunk to get it to unlock. This feels like a bug.
I'm guessing new car for this owner. Please double-check that your second key isn't inside the car.

Nothing that bad, but a couple of times I've come out to find the driver's dashboard lit up (not the center screen) even though the car is off and locked. I have to unlock, then re-lock the car to turn it off. Keys are nowhere near the car when I observe this.

This can all happen if the key is too close to the car or if there's a key inside the car. Move the key further from the car and check to see if behavior continues. By all means check with Service as they can look at the logs and see if something is up.

Last time I came home from service I noticed similar behavior (including the walk away auto lock not working) even though i had two keys inside the house away from the car ... decided to double check that the key could lock the car and the car didn't respond to any buttons. It suddenly dawned on me that i had been given the wrong key but why wouldn't the auto-lock not work? Checked the cupholders and there was my original. The car jockey that picked me up when the car was ready had left my key in the car and gave me the key from his pocket to another loaner by mistake. Point being that even if you have two keys it would be a good idea to check that they both are the keys to your car.

When you noticed the car was alive, was it fully on or just in accessory mode? How you can tell is where the speedometer is, if it shows a car icon there it is in accessory mode but if it shows 0 MPH then the car is fully turned on. If it is in accessory mode, maybe the key is too close or there is a 3rd key hidden someplace, don't know. If it is fully on showing 0 MPH in the speedo then it could be your occupancy sensor in your seat that needs reset.

When you noticed the car was alive, was it fully on or just in accessory mode? How you can tell is where the speedometer is, if it shows a car icon there it is in accessory mode but if it shows 0 MPH then the car is fully turned on. If it is in accessory mode, maybe the key is too close or there is a 3rd key hidden someplace, don't know. If it is fully on showing 0 MPH in the speedo then it could be your occupancy sensor in your seat that needs reset.

Other than a ghost haunting his car that was my first thought, check the seat sensor.

It could also be that your new young car is just impatient to get out on the road.

Speaking of doing things while "off": I've been noticing a noise intermittently recently coming from the area of the backside (underneath) the frunk. The car is charged, plugged in and off/locked. All screens are black. Is this just the battery system cooling the pack now that the temps in the garage have increased? Sounds almost like a weak handheld vacuum.

My p85+ came with 4.5 (didn't record the build number) but they pushed an update and after a few days I haven't seen a reoccurrence, so I think we'll consider this fixed. Turbofroggy - when it came on, it was fully alive.