Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

p85 + deer = a lot of damage... What next?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm still waiting on the autobody shop and my insurance company to figure out next steps, but it seems very likely they may say it is not worth the repair cost. While the damage was not structural, it was enough to cause a bunch of parts to need to be replaced. These parts are no longer available as stock in 2013, so updated parts have to be fitted, which have issues with other parts on the car requiring those to be changed and so on and so forth. Going from reasonable to, "wait how much?"

So now I'm in the potentially unenviable position of needing to figure out what next. I am taking a huge bath on the depreciation as it stands too, which makes me leary about a newer model s.

What do we think is going to happen with the new 2021 LR and increasing depreciation on the current models? My p85, IMO, took a big hit due to AP coming out and driving the owners to the newer models. I don't see anything specific on the new model which would do the same, but it is a new computer in the car so... maybe?

If depreciation isn't really a huge issue (beyond normal value loss) Is Raven suspension that much better than the older S?

What do you think about going model 3 or Y for a lease (or a cheap purchase), 3 years, then upgrading back to a used 2021 S after they get the first couple months worth of bugs out?

Two things, I am also considering either a Boxster GTS (2018) or a Panamera Turbo (2015-2016). As the depreciation hit on porsche just doesnt seem to be nearly as bad as what I experienced. I also need to have a performance model of the 3/y as a minimum, not entertaining the regular ones. I want the kick to feel the same as the p85 or better. Obviously the Porsche vehicles wouldn't have that kick, but could make it up in other areas like higher end power and drama.

Oh and AP would be really nice, I work with a lot of customers all over and being able to have a second set of eyes on he road at 3am to do a 4 hour drive for a 1 hour meeting would be extremely beneficial. I can do it of couse, but...

you kinda are all over the place with your decision. lol

For me, after experiencing the benefits of EV for the past 12 months, have zero desire to go back to ICE. (prior cars were AMG, //M BMW's). Zero. To me, ICE is the past..(hence almost every carmaker announcing their plans to phase out/away from ICE over the next decade or so)

Only other options I'd consider would be used Taycan if not used Model S Performance with Raven. And yes, Raven is a notable improvement over non Raven. If I were looking at brand new, Model Y long range with FSD and acceleration boost upgrade.

For me, after experiencing the benefits of EV for the past 12 months, have zero desire to go back to ICE. (prior cars were AMG, //M BMW's). Zero. To me, ICE is the past..(hence almost every carmaker announcing their plans to phase out/away from ICE over the next decade or so)

Only other options I'd consider would be used Taycan if not used Model S Performance with Raven. And yes, Raven is a notable improvement over non Raven. If I were looking at brand new, Model Y long range with FSD and acceleration boost upgrade.
They are because of the government. Not because of the free market.

With the recent price increases on refreshed Model S/X great values can be found in slightly used models.

Currently a couple year old Raven can still give lots of Tesla travels in style and comfort.

Very reasonably priced compared to earlier versions that had much higher original MSRP's

I upgraded from a 2014 P85 to A 2021 LR+ pre facelift, and the Raven is a huge upgrade. Would definitely look at getting a used Raven or waiting a month or two to see if Raven owners are selling their cars for the new facelift. I definitely am debating that

Reactions: rickyjb
They are because of the government. Not because of the free market.

Not so sure governments (worldwide) is the sole factor. EV's werent really a viable option 10-20 years ago when range was abysmal, acceleration and performance were poor, styling was worse than bland/downright ugly, there were near zero charging options when away from home, etc.

But here we are at whats essentially the early stages of EV's (Compared to how long ICE engines have been around) and we are at sub 2 second 0-60, 155mph 1/4 mile trap speeds, ranges of over 500 miles (Lucid) in some EV's, and roughly 30% cheaper build/manufacturing costs for comparable ICE vehicle. And far, far fewer moving parts for a more streamlined build.

What Tesla has done (with zero commercial advertising) over the past few years has been the start of vehicle market disruption and has been driven by near insatiable consumer demand. And other carmakers see technology wise, that the future isnt in (highly inefficient) combustion engines...

Not so sure governments (worldwide) is the sole factor. EV's werent really a viable option 10-20 years ago when range was abysmal, acceleration and performance were poor, styling was worse than bland/downright ugly, there were near zero charging options when away from home, etc.

But here we are at whats essentially the early stages of EV's (Compared to how long ICE engines have been around) and we are at sub 2 second 0-60, 155mph 1/4 mile trap speeds, ranges of over 500 miles (Lucid) in some EV's, and roughly 30% cheaper build/manufacturing costs for comparable ICE vehicle. And far, far fewer moving parts for a more streamlined build.

What Tesla has done (with zero commercial advertising) over the past few years has been the start of vehicle market disruption and has been driven by near insatiable consumer demand. And other carmakers see technology wise, that the future isnt in (highly inefficient) combustion engines...
Car makers don’t give a single flying **** about inefficient and polluting vehicles. They care about profits and many dealers already came out and said it, EVs are as profitable because they require less service. So yeah if they had a choice they’d stick with ice, but here in the US they were forced by the government to develop and sell ev’s or else they get fined.

Reactions: Fadiawesome

HAH, yeah I know. I love my p85, but it has been extremely expensive to own. .25c per mile cost in depreciation + electricity, and a few thousand in repairs (random things) plus a LOT of time at the service center getting early model bugs worked out and two drivetrain replacements. It cost me more to own than a Maserati QP (no joke) that I got rid of because it was going to cost me a bundle with the inevitable variator issues, plus yet another clutch. At the time I was 99% ready to buy a Panamera turbo, but the dealer ticked me off so much I said no.

So getting back in bed with another 80k dollar car where I would be looking at 10k in value loss per year does not make a heck of a lot of sense. That's what I did with my 2013, bought in 2015. Back then I was looking at a porsche 2011 PTT coming in at about 60-70k, they are still around 40k now.

So I'm trying to abstract out the emotion and say "here are my requirements, and where I would be willing to risk some to get a tangible benefit" but right now I am still not sure.

I just realized I put down .25c per mile, that was .25c per mile for the maserati. The tesla was $1 per mile, with 50k miles driven and an estimated 50k depreciation.

Krash: As stated, I know what the power feels like, so an S75d is not going to hack it. Plus I get to drive a lot in mid-atlantic up to central PA. Or at least will when we get back to meeting in person again, so while I don't have much range anxiety with the p85, the 75 would put me into anxiety if I didn't do a 100% charge. Especially in the winter. I've been down to where that 12% difference would count in a bad way many times on that drive.

At that point I would feel much safer in a 3 or in a 100d of some sort.

Oh and for the one comment on the taycan, the cost.. holy cow. Tesla is expensive, but porsche is crazy! I love their cars but the taycan pricing is nuts. Regular taycan starts at 80k, but it isn't as fast as a regular S, with a "minimal" configuration of the higher end battery and the nicer suspension to make it closer to the stock tesla s LR, its already well over 100k. Add on things like higher rated on board chargers, innodrive and the rest to really even it out and realistically it will be 110-120k for the same basic items as what comes in an LR, and you still cant drive as far. There are certainly advantages with the taycan related to higher speeds and cornering, but no way they are worth it in terms of cost, could get a MS and a Boxster. Need to switch to the 4s or the turbo, but then the costs are in the 180+k range to compete with the plaid.

I don't have that budget. Kid + college = need to be "reasonable".

Car makers don’t give a single flying **** about inefficient and polluting vehicles. They care about profits and many dealers already came out and said it, EVs are as profitable because they require less service. So yeah if they had a choice they’d stick with ice, but here in the US they were forced by the government to develop and sell ev’s or else they get fined.

Pollution and mileage weren't really factors in my decision to purchase a Tesla. Neither was "less service." Actually, I'm more concerned about maintenance/repairs on my Tesla than any other vehicle I've owned since there is more that I can't work on and diagnose myself. Less maintenance on an EV is often a selling point, but in reality there is plenty to break/fix on an EV. There is much more to a car than its powerplant components.

As for the government being the reason manufacturers are building more EVs, just ask Harley Davidson how things are going by sticking with what people historically wanted and not what they want now. Ramping up a completely new platform on a new powertrain (EV or fossil) is very time consuming and expensive. If automakers don't start investing and responding to the market's needs now, they'll be left behind just like Harley. Note: moving to EV is not a cold turkey move - at least not for any automaker that's worth their salt. Automakers will continue to milk the market for people who cannot yet adopt an EV as their primary vehicle.

Reactions: 2101Guy
I'm still waiting on the autobody shop and my insurance company to figure out next steps, but it seems very likely they may say it is not worth the repair cost. While the damage was not structural, it was enough to cause a bunch of parts to need to be replaced. These parts are no longer available as stock in 2013, so updated parts have to be fitted, which have issues with other parts on the car requiring those to be changed and so on and so forth. Going from reasonable to, "wait how much?"

So now I'm in the potentially unenviable position of needing to figure out what next. I am taking a huge bath on the depreciation as it stands too, which makes me leary about a newer model s.

What do we think is going to happen with the new 2021 LR and increasing depreciation on the current models? My p85, IMO, took a big hit due to AP coming out and driving the owners to the newer models. I don't see anything specific on the new model which would do the same, but it is a new computer in the car so... maybe?

If depreciation isn't really a huge issue (beyond normal value loss) Is Raven suspension that much better than the older S?

What do you think about going model 3 or Y for a lease (or a cheap purchase), 3 years, then upgrading back to a used 2021 S after they get the first couple months worth of bugs out?

Two things, I am also considering either a Boxster GTS (2018) or a Panamera Turbo (2015-2016). As the depreciation hit on porsche just doesnt seem to be nearly as bad as what I experienced. I also need to have a performance model of the 3/y as a minimum, not entertaining the regular ones. I want the kick to feel the same as the p85 or better. Obviously the Porsche vehicles wouldn't have that kick, but could make it up in other areas like higher end power and drama.

Oh and AP would be really nice, I work with a lot of customers all over and being able to have a second set of eyes on he road at 3am to do a 4 hour drive for a 1 hour meeting would be extremely beneficial. I can do it of couse, but...

Any idea on how much the insurance will be paying out ?

Went through this in October when a deer sideswiped my early 2014 P85 on the drivers’ side front corner, so I feel for you. No structural damage, but the body shop needed to replace the front “bumper”, fender, frunk lid, door panel, side mirror, and left headlight assembly (plus an assortment of clips, etc).

The door panel and light assembly were the only places where the original part was no longer available. Replacing the door panel required a door handle adapter kit to match the old handle to the new panel. A new light assembly wouldn’t match the existing passenger side lamp, so the body shop estimated replacing both ($$$). The insurance didn’t want to do that and located a salvage assembly that they would warrant, so I agreed to go that route.

Other than that and the usual glitches in getting parts (not just a Tesla issue, in my experience) it was pretty straightforward - took about 6 weeks, and the car looks good as new.

P.S. - The d**n deer survived the experience, at least long enough to run into the woods...

Two things, I am also considering either a Boxster GTS (2018) or a Panamera Turbo (2015-2016).

If you are considering ICE cars with such small interiors, you should definitely go for a Model 3. I was in the market for a Model X 7-seater performance, but since I'm not keen to pay extra to become a beta tester, I figured a LR Model 3 would suffer least depreciation in a year while waiting for Tesla to work out the kinks (and there will be so many more alternatives in 2022 including Cybertruck, Rivian, Mercedes, Audi, and many more).

KBB/Trade values. So somewhere around 30k is what they guess, but it is hard to say. I think that's a bit low, but might not have much of a choice.

I reject the first offer from insurance companies just on general principle. It is always low. Find listings of comparable cars and use those to justify the replacement value as being higher. KBB isn't always reflective of the real market. Sometimes you have to fight them a bit, but sometimes they just roll over and raise the value to something fair once you've provided more documentation on the car.

• Informative
Reactions: rickyjb