TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

P85+ in wet conditions...

Discussion in 'Model S: Driving Dynamics' started by Mayhemm, Oct 10, 2013.

1. Mayhemm

Mayhemm Model S P85+ "Lola"

I've heard now from several sources that the Michelin Pilot Sport PS2 tires that come on the performance plus package may not perform all that well in wet conditions. Reports have ranged from "a little squirrely" to "totally unstable".

Several P85+ owners here on the forum seem to be located in what could be considered "dry" states (Utah, Arizona, Texas, etc), so maybe they have not commented on the P85+ wet performance (or lack thereof) simply due to them not encountering wet conditions while driving?

Could some P85+ owners from wetter regions please chime in and tell me I'm crazy; it would do wonders for my peace of mind. :tongue: I don't plan on garaging my P85+ every time it rains.

2. Don't need to garage the car when it rains. But it is a ultra high performance summer tire, optimized for dry conditions. There are better tires out there in the wet.
    Drive it like you stole it and traction control will work overtime. Drive it like a Prius and you'll be fine.

3. texex91

texex91 Banned

I agree with everything--it's a sports car tire. Personally I wouldn't drive it like a Prius, but the point is any sports car with those tires won't be the best car for winter snow or wet conditions. I take my SUV out in bad conditions--but that's the same no matter what car I own.

4. Mayhemm

I know it's not optimized for wet conditions, but I plan on taking it across the country next summer. Chances are I'll hit some rain. It would be nice if the car didn't totally flake out.:tongue:

5. Shumdit

Shumdit Member

I would refrain from full throttle application. Other than that I think you would be fine. I have ridden on these type of tires in the rain on occasion, and while they are not ideal, they are not like driving with Teflon tires on ice.

6. texex91

texex91 Banned

They will be fine in the rain--no flaking out :wink: Just drive like one should in the rain and you're fine.

7. Madartist

Madartist Member

If you accelerate too quickly on wet surfaces, these PS2 tires will lose traction. For normal driving, it's fine.

8. Hybris

Hybris Member

PS2 is for sure a great tire in wet conditions... Had it on my BMW m cars and alpinas... Not driven the tesla in wet but the tire is one of the best... The all year tires on the other hand is garbage!! I would be more concerned with that tires on the 19"... In europe no performance or middleclass cars are delivered with the all year junk... ;-)

9. Mayhemm

That's a relief, guys.

Not looking to race in the rain here, just continue on my way as one would on a road trip.

Glad to hear I shouldn't have any issues. :biggrin:

10. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

I have to agree with the other posters. I had MPSS on my previous Infiniti G37. They're actually very GOOD rain tires. Many racers use them as their rain tires! Just don't drive like you're on dry pavement.

11. Six

Six Member

I drive a P85+ in Seattle and that means driving it in the rain. An early poster stated:

Don't need to garage the car when it rains. But it is a ultra high performance summer tire, optimized for dry conditions. There are better tires out there in the wet.
    Drive it like you stole it and traction control will work overtime. Drive it like a Prius and you'll be fine

I agree with this, there is not reason to not drive a P85+ in the rain and you don't even have to be as conservative as a Prius, but you need to be careful.

Having said that I plan to swap to 19" all-season tires on the P85+ for the winter. A number of reasons for this:

- Pilot Sport is a summer tire with winter temperatures here usually in the 30s and 40s you can get a better tire
    - Why wear out expensive high performance tires in rainy conditions when you can not take advantage of them anyway

I used 19" wheels when I drove from Canada to Mexico (and back) in the BC2BC electric vehicle rally. I did that to save on tire wear (since the trip was slow distance driving) and to reduce change of a blow out on low profile tires on a long trip. The 19" with the standard Goodyear tires are fine on the P85+.

I have to admit I really enjoy the Pilot Sport Tires though in summer.

12. Mayhemm

Oh, I'll have a set of dedicated winter tires on 19-inch rims for winter use. I'm talking purely Spring to Fall use here (we don't get much rain in winter up here :tongue:)

13. Denarius

Denarius Active Member

I am in Utah, but it just so happens we've had a lot of rain the last couple of days and I just finished driving home in heavy rain. The car was perfectly stable and fine. I even showed off the acceleration at lunch with a couple of clients in the car. I eased on to get a slight roll before punching it, and traction control didn't have to kick in. Earlier I did punch it going up a hill and had it break loose.

I did not however hit any large pools of standing water, so I can't speak to hydroplane performance.

Bottom line? You've got nothing to worry about, drive as cautious as you should in any car and you'll have no problems.

14. SarahsDad

SarahsDad Member

15. Hybris

Hybris Member

And domt ever use all year in real winter comditions with snow and ice... We drive in those conditions for many months. Even think all year will be problems with insurance over here. If you have snow and ice then Nokkian Hakka R2. If much ice then studded Hakka 7/8. If mever snow and ice but close to zero then european winter tires. The summer and all tire rubber gets harder when its cold meankng worse traction and braking...