Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

P85 is in my opinion, a total waste of money compared to the regular 85 kw version!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Why on earth do people buy the P85 version instead of the much cheaper Regular 85?
I bought the regular one and it is fast enough as it blows anything off the street as is.
Paying an extra $15,000 for this feature with Alcatraz, whatever, headliner, seat lining with suede etc is a waste. IMHO.

Just a thought!

Last edited:
And others might say why would you want to waste your money on buying the 85 kWh version instead of getting the 60 kWh version when the 60 kWh version is fast enough and takes care of 90% of your use pattern???

To each their own ... (shrug)

Following your line of thought - why should one even buy a Tesla at all?!?

get a leaf.
why would you want to drive 200 miles?

oh, just a thought...my car was $100K ....now $118k if new
did I do bad?

Doubt the 85 autocrosses as badass as the p85 staggered on 19"s

wait a minute....cars are a total waste of money, period.
ride a camel
drive a bicycle
walk
run

Just a thought

Last edited:
@Grey on Grey

Sorry but I don't agree with you. IMHO Tesla is a big automaker because is demonstrating that electric cars can be even better than ICE cars. That's the main point with the P85. So we will have a Ferrari and a Lamborghini owner that will consider Tesla rather than their previous car.
Then of course everybody is free to choice the Performance Model S or the normal Model S.
I also would like to point out that in some situations the availability of a good acceleration can be a safety feature.

Why on earth do people buy the P85 version instead of the much cheaper Regular 85?
I bought the regular one and it is fast enough as it blows anything off the street as is.
Paying an extra $30,000 for this feature with Alcatraz, whatever, headliner, seat lining with suede etc is for people who know how to blow their money away!
Someday you might regret it should you come into Financial problems later!

Just a thought!

Really?

I got a loaner P85+, still at the old pricing. The delta was more manageable. the new pricing has definitely changed things, but then again, you're not buying an early production car anymore, you are buying one that has had a lot of bugs worked out and various upgrades, some improvements in hardware not even known by us. If I had to start from scratch it would be a tougher decision. The S 85 with coil suspension is a very attractive value proposition so I can certainly understand that your impressed with it, congrats on your decision!

I was disappointed with the P85, particularly the one we got... an early production with lots of issues. at it's best, the handling was sub par, particularly on rapid acceleration. Tesla really nailed it with the suspension/handling improvements on the +. Everyone has to come to their own conclusion about where their sweet spot is, for me, I could make a pretty good argument for going all the way and getting the P85+, IMHO, it's what the P85 was meant to be/should have been. With all season tires and a front end alignment, it's quiet enough and handles like nothing else I've ever driven. I guess the question at the end of the day is, what flavor of perfection is right for you...

I didn't get the P85, but I have no problems with those who do. I completely understand why they got it. Also the P85 and P85+ are a bargain compared to similar upgrades on other cars.

I officially vote this as the worst thread ever.

Don't judge. Just be happy with your car.

I agree... Like, way to pee on our parade.

- - - Updated - - -

Paying an extra $30,000 for this feature with Alcatraz, whatever, headliner, seat lining with suede etc is for people who know how to blow their money away!

Just a thought!

Dude, I don't even think you own the car. Can anyone say troll?

Just a thought!

Yeah, you're right but So What?
It's not your problem; live and let live!!

Just a thought!

#1: The cost difference is 10k not 30k. I am aware that recently they started charging about 13K, but added the red calipers, carbon fiber spoiler, and Alcantara headliner, which cover that difference. Realistically that's still a ton from the 30K you quoted and that crazy-inaccurate number kills your credibility.

#2: in regards to your last sentence, if you are really concerned about that you should be buying a Civic or used Altima. We are talking a 100k car here realistically for most buyers choosing a 85 of any type so a 13K jump is like going from a base civic lx to the mid level ex in terms of percentages. Do you go onto the honda forums and tell those guys they are wasting valuable money paying that extra 13% for a better stereo and nicer wheels? This is a discretionary purchase and I doubt many people here who bought have leveraged themselves to the point that they are living paycheck to paycheck as a result of the Tesla purchase.

I would look at it from this viewpoint: If you are going to take the plunge with such a new and unproven company and its product, why not really jump in and experience the best the company has to offer? Buy a P85+ with every option they offer (even the $1000 door panel lights!). You might as well buy the best if you are going to buy at all (assuming its within your budget).

While I won't say it's the worst post ever, it sure seems like you did not really think about what you were saying before you said it.

Just a thought!

I plan on getting the Attica headliner.

I'm also getting my regret out of the way before I buy it.