Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

P85 Loaner Cars! Sweet!!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
They had better not have spoilers!
Well, I like the idea of P85 loaner, but if my loaner has a spoiler, I’m pulling out some dental floss, ripping the thing off, and driving it back to the service center where they can install it on my car while I wait.
Reminds me that my wife saw a white S with a spoiler today, pretty sure I was one of the earliest deliveries in my area, apparently they really are shafting early adopters / sig owners in favor of better treatment of new owners. Way to make that "sig penalty" sting even more!

"The Model S loaners will be available for immediate purchase at a price that is lower by 1 percent per month of age and $1 per mile. If you like the service loaner more than your other car, you can just keep it."

I must say, if it works the way I think it works (pay for the $1 per mile difference between your car and the loaner, and then extra for features that the loaner has that your car doesn't), the ability to swap out a car for a loaner would be an insane upsell for me, and probably a lot of people.

Tesla should elaborate on this more. (This time a calculator is totally called for!)

If this can become a more formal program (which I admit would work better in WA than in CA, since we don't have EV sales tax), I would never dream of doing anything other than ticking on every option out there when I designed my car.

Reason is then I can finance e.g. $110k for a P85, and then every year just pay in the mileage difference (let's say $10k cash to cover 12'500k miles vs. loaner 2'500 miles) and have a perpetual new car for life. Maybe a few thousand here and there more due to newer features that come online - but worth it.

On the other hand, had I started off with a non-loaded 60kWh, parting with $40k cash to do the first trade-up would require some thought.

So I think if Tesla can formalize this and help with regulatory hurdles (registration, taxes etc.), this is going to significantly push sales figures on the high-end P85 side over the other models.

*EDIT* My math was off. I forgot about depreciation. Knew something was too good to be true. So a perpetual new car would cost you ~$22k per year - not $10k per year. Well, I wonder what would happen if you trade in once every 29 days... :)

Ahh well, but it's still to know that you have some way to get hold of the latest must-have features (e.g. the situation P85 owners are in now that there's a P85+). But I wouldn't do it yearly just for the new car smell.

Last edited:
I was just thinking.....

What if John (who owns a white Tesla Model S) and his friend Peter (who does not own a Tesla Model S) both went together to a Tesla Service Center for the annual service of John's white Tesla Model S. There they leave behind John's white Tesla Model S, and they get a brand new P85 black Tesla Model S loaner for a few days.

They (John and Peter) drive away in the brand new P85 black Tesla Model S loaner. They decide to go for a long drive, and Peter gets to drive the car as well. Both men like the car. John is happy with his own white Tesla Model S. Peter says that he actually would like to buy this car. He is happy with the color and all the options.

Will it be possible for Peter to buy the brand new P85 black Tesla Model S loaner?

My local SC is booked 2 weeks out, and they said they won't have loaners even by then. If the 80 cars are off the line already, it shouldn't take long to get them 500 miles south, it's not like they need to coordinate delivery with a DS...

Got a regular brown 85kWh loaner today from Freemont SC. It has 79 miles on it. It has the pano roof, navigation, air susp ... pretty much everything but no leather and no power trunk lift gate. So I cant figure out if it has Tech Package or not?
The good part is that I dont have an ICE as a rental. However, it took them over an 1.5 hours to find the loaner and then lost the keys to the loaner. First they couldnt find it, something about not being able to track cars via GPS after 50 miles. Then after they found it and started charging to give me miles to get home, someone misplaced the keys. Just as the Enterprise guy showed up to get me, they found the keys (thank goodness).

Got a regular brown 85kWh loaner today from Freemont SC. It has 79 miles on it. It has the pano roof, navigation, air susp ... pretty much everything but no leather and no power trunk lift gate. So I cant figure out if it has Tech Package or not?
The good part is that I dont have an ICE as a rental. However, it took them over an 1.5 hours to find the loaner and then lost the keys to the loaner. First they couldnt find it, something about not being able to track cars via GPS after 50 miles. Then after they found it and started charging to give me miles to get home, someone misplaced the keys. Just as the Enterprise guy showed up to get me, they found the keys (thank goodness).

Is it actually navigation, or just google maps on the main screen? If there's now power tailgate, then there's probably no nav, so no tech package.